Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: one powder to do it all?

one powder to do it all?

looking for one powder to load 45 ACP 230 grain 40 cal 165 grain and 9mm 115 grain. I also like to fill my cases over half so no way to double charge, I have good luck with winchester 231 for the 45 and the data for that powder for the 40c and the nine seems to catch my eye. Any other one does it all suggestions. with the way things get and nothing available every couple years I would like to stock up on just one powder.
    Thanks

Unique.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Yep, Unique.

Site Supporter
    Unique fills the bill for what you're looking for. I've gone with BE-86, which is close to the same burn rate as Unique but meters much better. The downside of BE-86 for you is that it's easy to double-charge a case with it, especially with .45 ACP.

Site Supporter
    I am a big fan of 231/HP-38. I found a load that works in both 1911 and glock and never looked back.

I do not reload for .40 so I do not have experience to share.

5.4-5.6 with a 230 Grain RNL or FMJ/Plated 45

4.3-4.4 with a 115 and 124 9mm FMJ/Plated.

What is the goal for the loads in question? The answer, especially for 9mm, depends on the application. If you're loading to a power factor target for USPSA/IDPA, then in 9mm you'll want powders on the fast end of the burn rate spectrum - N320, Sport Pistol, Titegroup, etc. (Well, probably not Titegroup given your expressed case fill preference.) If, on the other hand, you're chasing higher bullet velocity, you'll want a medium or slow burning powder. Unique, CFE Pistol, BE-86. Unique definitely does it all, but it tends to be dirty, and it doesn't meter particularly well through powder measures, so I'd probably recommend going another way.

I've never loaded for .45, but my understanding in the past has been that most powders which work well in 9mm will also work well in .45 - it's just a matter of finding a recipe (or at least a starting point for testing).

Loads in all calibers will be for paper punching FMJ rounds, no IDPA.

I always recommend Winchester WSF. 9mm charges for 124gr (5gr or so) fills up about 50% of the case, making a double-charge very obvious. It burns clean and allows you to safely load up to +P ranges if you so desire.

Site Supporter
    Titegroup is what I use for everything. Caveat; it won’t fill.45 up halfway but will keep from seating 9mm with a double charge. I visually check every case prior to seating a bullet.

Unique, followed by 231.
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List