Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: one powder to do it all?

Used plenty of HP-38 and Win. 231 for those, current favorite do-all is Titegroup.

While in Lexington on TDY this week, I found a hole-in-the-wall reloading shop that had LOTS of Unique available. No 8# cans, or I'd have grabbed one. Due to a bunch of other expenses recently, I had to temper my appetite to just two 1# bottles, but I know where it is now...

I ordered 4lbs of Unique from Powder Valley yesterday when I saw this awesome thread. New press just delivered. Dies on BO at Midway. Shouldn't have sold off all the old equipment in 93 that's for sure.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I ordered 4lbs of Unique from Powder Valley yesterday when I saw this awesome thread. New press just delivered. Dies on BO at Midway. Shouldn't have sold off all the old equipment in 93 that's for sure.

But to echo everyone else, unique is the shit, though it’s dirty and leaves lots of particles

I use WSF in 9mm and that would do if I couldn’t get unique. Blue Dot is another that would probably be ok, is cheaper and might be more easily available right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Quote Originally Posted by richiecotite View Post

But to echo everyone else, unique is the shit, though it’s dirty and leaves lots of particles

I use WSF in 9mm and that would do if I couldn’t get unique. Blue Dot is another that would probably be ok, is cheaper and might be more easily available right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    +1 in my heyday it was all Unique and 2400. Later 231 for the DL-450 and .45ACP. But I dig the "old" powders and loads for nonsensical nostalgic reasons partly
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I've used several but I keep coming back to VV N320 for 9mm, .38 super, .38 spl loads. Kudos to Ramshot Competition, a close competitor to N320 for me. VV N310 is a good .45 auto powder but I stopped using it for 9mm and .38 super, just to risky.

Quote Originally Posted by 19852+ View Post
    I've used several but I keep coming back to VV N320 for 9mm, .38 super, .38 spl loads. Kudos to Ramshot Competition, a close competitor to N320 for me. VV N310 is a good .45 auto powder but I stopped using it for 9mm and .38 super, just to risky.
    What's risky about it?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    What's risky about it?
    I’m not @19852+, but it’s a very fast powder, and you may not be able to match factory velocities with it in those calibers at safe pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I’m not @19852+, but it’s a very fast powder, and you may not be able to match factory velocities with it in those calibers at safe pressure.
    Thanks. I've used very little VV, and that was in rifles.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    What's risky about it?
    I don’t know that I would say risky, but at least in 9mm, the charge weights are very small and have a equally small range.

Example: 125 Hornady HAP - 2.5-3.0 gr N310 giving a pokey 900fps.

There also isn’t a lot of published data (in 9mm).

https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading.../?cartridge=89

User Tag List