Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 Gauge Birdshot for a Class?

Site Supporter

12 Gauge Birdshot for a Class?

I know it's slim pickings for ammo right now, but what's a relatively inexpensive load that won't foul up an 870 over two days and 400 rounds? Would it be worth it to get pricier target ammo?

Any of the cheap bulk packs should be fine if they load and extract. Normally this time of the year places like Academy will have sales on field loads for dove season. I’d buy a few single boxes of what’s available see what functions and then go stock up. My 930 would run some of the high velocity bulk loads but not the lighter stuff.

Good advice above to try a box before committing to case quantities. I have some WW cheap stuff that won’t extract from my recent 870. Probably due to a slightly rough chamber but good to know before a class. AA and Federal Flite Control works fine. The cheap stuff runs like a well oiled V8 through my Benelli.

Site Supporter
    Anyone tried the Fiocchi stuff? I've had good results with their 00 loads.

Remington Expresses have a deserved reputation for smei-finished chambers. It might be worth your while to either invest in a Brush Research chamber hone, or take it to a gunsmith to have the chamber finished:

http://www.brushresearch.com/brushes.php?c2=6

Site Supporter
    Mine’s an 870 Magnum police trade-in that I sent to Wilson’s for their Remington Steal package. The chamber’s fine.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    Any of the cheap bulk packs should be fine if they load and extract. Normally this time of the year places like Academy will have sales on field loads for dove season. I’d buy a few single boxes of what’s available see what functions and then go stock up. My 930 would run some of the high velocity bulk loads but not the lighter stuff.
    Thanks for this tip! Academy has Winchester "Heavy Game Load" for $60/case; they also have Remington "ShurShot Heavy Dove" for $70/case. I got a box of each to run through the 870. Either one is cheaper than buying online.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Mine’s an 870 Magnum police trade-in that I sent to Wilson’s for their Remington Steal package. The chamber’s fine.
    Should be - rock on with the aluminum base cheapo stuff is my experience with good Remington barrels.

What did you think about the steal package?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    What did you think about the steal package?
    Definitely worth it. The gun's as slick as snot on a doorknob. When I got it back, I think it took one click on the rear sight to zero it for 25 yards. I think I've got about 250 rounds through it so far, including a Steve Moses class. I've signed up for the Rob Haught class in OK next March and will be using it there; that class is also the reason I'm asking about the birdshot.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Remington Expresses have a deserved reputation for smei-finished chambers. It might be worth your while to either invest in a Brush Research chamber hone, or take it to a gunsmith to have the chamber finished:

http://www.brushresearch.com/brushes.php?c2=6
    I'd probably go with a brake drum slave cylinder hone. I just like straight stones better than round ones, for some reason.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List