Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Difference in Federal 9mm HST labels

Site Supporter

Difference in Federal 9mm HST labels

Because I'm new to this world and don't have any kind of ammo stockpile, I've been slowly building up a small pile of 9mm by stopping at a few local stores every now and then. A few days ago, when I stopped in, the store had a display of 115 grain 9mm fmj. 50 round boxes for $25. This seemed pretty high, but there's a shortage, and I expect they're paying more than normal themselves. Anyway, I bypassed this table and went to the diminished defensive ammo section, and they had 147 grain federal hst 9mm in 50 round boxes for $35. Seemed reasonable to get the better ammo for a modest increase in price.

Anyway, the boxes of Federal HST I got recently looked different than ones I've purchased previously. Both say "Federal HST Premium Law Enforcement" somewhere on the box, but the more recently purchased box has "Law Enforcement" on a blue line across the box, and the box is is slightly smaller. Both are 147 grain 9mm, both have the same listed velocities on the box. The rounds themselves don't look any different to my undiscerning eye. Any idea as to why the boxes look different? Could it be an older batch?

Thanksfor the help.

Not at all uncommon for the ammo companies to modify their packaging from time to time without making any real change to the product.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    At one time, and maybe still now, the 50 round boxes were for LE and the 20’s were for the civilian market. That’s not a firm rule, it’s just how Federal packaged it. At one point they may have added or taken off “Law Enforcement” from the packaging, as well as other design changes.

As above.

Federal seems to make packaging changes on an evolutionary basis.

I would snap up any Federal HST 147 in 50 round boxes for $35, for sure. I bought some online from targetsportsusa.com a few months ago for $39.99/50.

Site Supporter
    @Bio - The boxes with the blue line are more recent production. Same ammo, different packaging.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Some cities (SF, and neighbors, if I remember) prohibit possession of ammo marked for LE use, but the same ammo sold at retail for consumer use is OK. I'd rather just avoid those cities, but would take care to ensure I had only civilian-labeled ammo and keep the packaging at least in my luggage if I had to travel anywhere near them.

In the case of HST, the corrugated over packs for cases of 50-round boxes are marked for LE use (but not "only"). Same for LE132 xx buck if I remember correctly.

Haven't thought of this before, but I wonder if one could get jammed up with Federal "RTPxxxxx" or Winchester purple-case training ammo, even though it's FMJ?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Winchester purple .223 just says “For training use only” on the box, nothing about LE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the clarification, everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    @Bio - The boxes with the blue line are more recent production. Same ammo, different packaging.
    What he said.

Name:  C75CFA5D-03D7-4104-A168-DF39203CCE93.jpg
Views: 1131
Size:  26.6 KB

Not exactly the same. The newer production 9mm HST (top) has a blue primer sealant and slightly concave case bases, slightly reminiscent of CCI cases, as well as changed font on the headstamps. In fact, if I had to guess, I would say there has been a case tooling change made.

Function and performance is unchanged. Grouping of the newer stuff is excellent.

Image is of 147 HST, the top one is in the new package and the bottom one is from two years ago, after the box was resized to the current sizes (yet another running change). Both rounds from 50-round boxes.
    Last edited by Archer1440; 08-16-2020 at 11:17 PM.

User Tag List