Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Subaru Outback, Forester or Rav4??

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    We are now two years with our 2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6. I like it a lot and moved to the Subaru from a series of BMWs, Mercedes, and Audi. The Touring is top of the line so all the goodies. The 3.6 is the flat six (2019 is last year for the six and we purposely got the 2019 six vs 2020 turbo 4). Did not think I would like the CVT but so far no issues - has paddle shifters and imitates an 8 speed. If moves out with authority - not a Mustang GT but it moves and no issues passing in Atlanta traffic. Love the AWD for rainy condition, NW GA sleet and icy roads. So far no issues at about 18000 miles. It is wife's car but I drive it some and I honestly wonder if I really need another truck or if a Subaru AWD would handle all my trips to range.
    FWIW, I can't count the number of stuck 4WD trucks/SUVs I've passed effortlessly in my two Outbacks.

You'd be upgrading.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

If you are going to use it off road, snow/ice or rough terrain than definitely a Subie. They are actually designed for it while the other vehicles in the class are “make believe” off road vehicles. Sort through all of the online videos showing the off road performance. The AWD X-Mode system is flat out amazing. I owned a 2017 Forester and gave it to my daughter who takes it out in some seriously sporty country.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    We had three days in late November that were horrible road conditions, a thin layer of snow on top of a sheet of ice and I was driving 120 miles a day for all three days (nights actually) of that shit. In my pickup that would have been scary dangerous as hell. In the Subaru it was almost just another drive, I could feel the AWD traction control working it's magic but the car never got a bit out of shape on acceleration, braking or while cruising. I was extremely impressed with it's ability to handle shit road conditions. I didn't have to worry about my car getting out of shape which allowed me to pay more attention to all the idiots sharing the road with me.
    Just had a bout of shit road conditions in my state over a couple of days. I had kind of bought into the hype of the Symmetrical AWD system but had never really tested it. My experience is the same as yours. My F150 4X4 is much more demanding to drive on snowy/icy roads than this Crosstrek. It didn't even know it was "bad out" in a manner of speaking. I'm of the opinion that they "nailed" design of the system. Like you, I could hear it working but it just didn't require the effort of other 4X4s or AWD vehicles I've ever driven.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    . It didn't even know it was "bad out" in a manner of speaking. I.
    That’s actually been a problem in my Outback— I’ll be sailing along and all of a sudden an F150 will go spinning off the highway, and I suddenly realize conditions are beyond most other cars.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    That’s actually been a problem in my Outback— I’ll be sailing along and all of a sudden an F150 will go spinning off the highway, and I suddenly realize conditions are beyond most other cars.
    Yea, the second night of the bad weather (after a day of slight thaw that then refroze making the roads extra crap) there were vehicles and tracks of vehicles spun off the road everywhere.
    The little Subie was finding traction just fine, the only bad part is most of the frozen ruts were just slightly wider than my track so I did a little "plinko ball" imitation occasionally.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Wifey has a 2019 Outback. She loves it. I drive it when we take it to the cabin. Works great in the snow. Here is an interesting SUV traction test video:

Invalid test.

Puff piece for Subaru.

Do they all have the same tires?

Multiple drivers for each vehicle?

Driver experience?

Guy driving Subaru was allowed or knew to use more throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Invalid test.

Puff piece for Subaru.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Subaru's have been hit and miss mechanicaly over the years. They are generally much better overall in the last few years. Must maintain well.... and service radiators.

In my area re-sale would be better on a 100k Toyota than a Subaru.

Modern AWD is WAY mo better than 4x4 for traction on snow and ice etc. Trucks have mechanical 4x4 as it is more durable for truck type activities.

Still need to stop and turn. Tires for conditions will get you farther (more control and safety) than what system you use.

I believe the new RAV hybrid gets about 40 mpg.

Non of the vehicles in this discussion are real ORV's.

Non of the vehicles in this discussion are real ORV's.
    There hasn't been a "real ORV" on the showroom floor since the CJ5 and pre-'86 straight axle Toyotas.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Invalid test.

Puff piece for Subaru.

Do they all have the same tires?

Multiple drivers for each vehicle?

Driver experience?

Guy driving Subaru was allowed or knew to use more throttle.
    Subaru has mechanically different AWD systems relative to most other FWD biased AWD system. Its an older video, but does a good job showing the differences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OzK-oRPCbs

User Tag List