Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Subaru Outback, Forester or Rav4??

Quote Originally Posted by bigslim View Post
    I’ve got an ‘18 Outback with 99K on and the dealership does all the work on mine. Mostly because they offer a lifetime engine warrante if the maintenance is kept up. I don’t need the added height of the Forester, the 2.5 is a bit slow but I’ve never had issues going over the Appalachain mountains. The best part for me is the combined 30 mpg I get.

Mike
    You could do the work at an independent shop, not the dealer, and still keep the warranty.

It's illegal to condition auto warranties on the work being performed at the dealership.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    My wife’s looking for a small/mid size suv, how are you liking the crosstrek since it’s been a few months?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm at 10k miles and it's a great little commuter car (my commute is 60 miles of hwy. each way), I'm getting around 2500 to 3000 miles a month on it.
    I just finished a 600 mile day trip (literally just now sat down to drink a beer and relax on the 'net after my 10 hour drive) to buy a new mountain bike.
    Any 10 hour day in a car ends up uncomfortable, but the Crosstrek was just mildly uncomfortable for the last hour or so which is pretty damn good.
    Over the last 2300 miles of almost all highway at 60-80mph (including the mountains around Santa Fe) I averaged 33 mpg.
    For a basic little crossover it's been solid, zero issues and zero oil consumption (I check it every 1k and change it every 6k).
    The Eye-Site is awesome for the highway, the lane assist and pacing cruise are a God send for my commute.
    I did install a factory remote start and some factory fog lamps on my base model for winter, probably should have just bought a higher spec to start.
    We had three days in late November that were horrible road conditions, a thin layer of snow on top of a sheet of ice and I was driving 120 miles a day for all three days (nights actually) of that shit. In my pickup that would have been scary dangerous as hell. In the Subaru it was almost just another drive, I could feel the AWD traction control working it's magic but the car never got a bit out of shape on acceleration, braking or while cruising. I was extremely impressed with it's ability to handle shit road conditions. I didn't have to worry about my car getting out of shape which allowed me to pay more attention to all the idiots sharing the road with me.
    Here in the flat lands the power is fine, around Santa Fe today I could have used another 50hp in a couple of short passing zones.
    All in all, it's been a good buy.
    The new Crosstrek Sport with higher spec trim and more HP would be pretty damn sweet and address the shortcomings in my base model.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    You could do the work at an independent shop, not the dealer, and still keep the warranty.

It's illegal to condition auto warranties on the work being performed at the dealership.
    Unless it's a dealership offered extended warranty contract. I've seen a few of those where the warranty was contingent on dealer servicing (perfectly legal if he signed a contract with those conditions).
    Basically the dealership was underwriting a limited extended warranty.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

@JodyH thanks for the insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    I've been a Toyota fan for a long time, but I might be switching.
    You can still be Toyota fan and drive a Subaru.
    Toyota does own 20% of Subaru.

Three new cars in one year... FMW... (F My Wallet).

Two 2020 Subaru Crosstreks base models, one for my boy's college car and one as my commuter. Bought the boy's in February and mine in mid August. I think he's at 6k miles and I'm at 10k.
    One really nice thing about Subarus, they are cheap as hell to insure a teen boy in (my insurance dropped significantly getting him out of a old '02 Taco and into a new Subie).

Bought the wife a optioned to the max 2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited in late September.
    We (she) drove damn near everything worth buying in the Santa Fe's class and it came down to it and the Mazda CX9 Signature.
    She looked at the Subaru Ascent and loved the interior, but just couldn't get over the exterior from certain angles. It's a grande size Forester if you like Foresters... she doesn't.
    So far the Santa Fe's been a great mid-sized SUV, albeit low mileage (under 3k) since my wife is work from home right now and it is only a little over 2 months old. Long term ownership satisfaction TBD.

She's coming from a '14 Volvo XC90, that while it was a solid car mechanically it wasn't aging well. It's the little annoying things that start to add up quickly with European cars out of warranty.
    Broken drivers side sun visor $500 from the dealer, I found one online for $200... but damn... $200 for a basic visor with mirror (not even lighted or that Homelink BS).
    Little stuff like that starts to add up quick.

Hopefully the Hyundai ages better than a Volvo (or is at least cheaper to fix LOL).

Site Supporter
    We are now two years with our 2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6. I like it a lot and moved to the Subaru from a series of BMWs, Mercedes, and Audi. The Touring is top of the line so all the goodies. The 3.6 is the flat six (2019 is last year for the six and we purposely got the 2019 six vs 2020 turbo 4). Did not think I would like the CVT but so far no issues - has paddle shifters and imitates an 8 speed. If moves out with authority - not a Mustang GT but it moves and no issues passing in Atlanta traffic. Love the AWD for rainy condition, NW GA sleet and icy roads. So far no issues at about 18000 miles. It is wife's car but I drive it some and I honestly wonder if I really need another truck or if a Subaru AWD would handle all my trips to range.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I honestly wonder if I really need another truck or if a Subaru AWD would handle all my trips to range.
    Ultimate gray man urban assault vehicle.
    The normies around me see a Lesbaru with some outdoor stickers, not in a hundred years would they suspect the arsenal hidden within.
    And that's the way I like it.

My son has a Crosstrek and I really like it. My 4Runner is still pretty new, a 2017, but if I needed a new vehicle I would go with the Crosstrek.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

Yep and they said as much. I was surprised to find that there prices are better than most shops in my area, I earn reward points with every service, they keep all the records up to date, and I get a discount on oil changes as well as a free car wash ticket. Those ticked are worth there weight in gold come winter and the wagon is enveloped in tomb of salt like some fish in a French chef's oven.

Mike

User Tag List