Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Multiple Plastic Fantastic Platforms

Multiple Plastic Fantastic Platforms

I wrote up a long post but decided to go short...

Is there value in multiple polymer platforms?

I’m currently stocking G19s, P320s and M&Ps. I have the most trigger time with the M&P and they are my preferred double stack but I feel like I should keep the Glock and Sigs hanging out in the safe. They don’t bring out the “Passion of the Gun” like a nice 1911 but I keep telling myself the supply chains for the Glock and Sig are too good to get rid of. I have started to get a small inclination to downsize.

Carrying a 365XL almost exclusively so the doubles are pulling house duty and an occasional range trip but again mainly using the XL there too.

If you are thinking about what to have if supplies get tight, I would be more inclined to have a different caliber before a different platform. For that reason, I hope the Gen 5 Glock .40 pistols work out. If you are talking supplying your interest, different platforms could do that.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If you are thinking about what to have if supplies get tight, I would be more inclined to have a different caliber before a different platform. For that reason, I hope the Gen 5 Glock .40 pistols work out. If you are talking supplying your interest, different platforms could do that.
    Do have a single M&P in 40, I picked up one of the cheap trade ins. 1911s in .45 and wheelies in 38/357 so a little bit of supply coverage.

The tight supplies thought was more around mags/springs/parts etc. A few fully functional assembled parts kits in the safe do help with resupply.

I haven’t found much excitement in shifting from a P320 to a M&P, going to a 1911 or DA/SA is what I need for a reset.

Site Supporter
    I have multiple pistols and holsters for three platforms, but thus far I only carry the Glocks. I like having options, but in practice I don't think I'm gaining anything. My non-Glocks are hammer fired guns for whatever that's worth.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

In polymer, we support Glock and HK P30 LEM in 9x19 and .40. My wife switched from the P30 to the G43, and I switched from the P30 to the G17.3, including samples with grip frames cut down to G26.3 lengths, and G26.3. This happened after the introduction of the Gadget SCD -- and would not have happened if it was not introduced. We also have .22 LR conversion kits for the Glock. And it is a lot easier for me to work on the Glock pistols. I have friends who are Glock armorers. Glock parts and magazines are available in any gun store worthy of the name. So the Glock system has several advantages.

Is there value in keeping the P30 LEM while carrying Glock? Even with all of the advantages for the Glock? I think so or at least thought so. The first thought is shooting LEM well makes shooting other action types well easier. The second thought is P30 handles the .40 better than any Glock, which was a consideration post-Sandy Hook. This one looks like less of a value now as .40 has become as unobtanium as 9x19. The third is HK magazines, while sold for higher prices and at fewer places, seem to last forever. If there is to be another magazine capacity limit, the HK magazines will soldier on for a long time. And the P30 magazines work in the VP9/VP40, providing an additional option. Yes, there are a lot of Glock magazines, but I also remember standard-capacity Glock and SIG magazines in 1994 through 2000 selling for more than $100 while less common/desirable magazines (e.g. S&W 5906) sold for under $50.

The last two reasons are rationalizations. Our P30 pistols were acquired at a time when the P30 MSRP was around $1,000. Even in today's market, selling would incur large losses. And we like shooting the P30 pistols. The P30 with small grip panels and paddle magazine release works well for our hands. My wife thinks the P30 is objectively better while still putting a G43 in her holster. So we keep the P30 pistols.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    I wrote up a long post but decided to go short...

Is there value in multiple polymer platforms?

I’m currently stocking G19s, P320s and M&Ps.
    I would not personally find that to be an efficient use of my gun funds, no, unless there was no overlap between them somehow. e.g. P320 doublestack, glock single stack 9mms, M&P45s, or something.

I have an M&P45 and then a ton of glock 9mms, and I sort of wish the M&P was a Glock 21 instead.

A few years back I broadened my plastic portfolio beyond Glock to try out the VP9 and PPQ. Great guns; there was much to like. But neither offered enough beyond the Glock to justify switching 'platforms', which I am similarly invested in, and they fulfilled the same role. I've also been to the Glock Armorer's Course, have a supply of tools and spare parts, not to mention holsters for everything. I eventually divested myself of the HK and Walther - they were simply duplicative regardless of the merits.

As a student of the pistol, I didn't learn much more from shooting the VP9 or PPQ...I derived more insight from forays into TDA guns. These days I am more about MRDS guns, and the Glock is very easy to convert in that regard.
    Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  100.7 KB
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

An opinion of one here. And this is written in this time of firearm/ammo shortages. I think one ought to have multiple firearms of the same caliber. Say you have only one 9mm pistol and it craps out. Now you have a bunch (hopefully) of 9mm with nothing to shoot them in. I bought my first Glock 9mm back in December, Gen 5, 17. I don't know of any firearm that has more websites that have factory and custom parts. And Glock is user friendly when it comes to replacing parts. So have multiple 9mm Glocks and parts in the house. It doesn't have to be a Glock, it's your choice the make and model.

As far as 45acp, I like my DW A2 and M&P full-size 2.0. I also have a Ruger Blackhawk convertible for 45LC/acp.

It has worked out over the years, by luck, not design, that I have handguns and long guns that share the same caliber. Those calibers are 44 magnum, 357 magnum and 22 long rifle. The 44 and 357 are lever action, and the 22 semis. Like I said, this interchangeability was not by design.

I know I am preaching to the choir here, just some thoughts.

Do you have multiple family members and which do they shoot better? To me that would be the value.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I would not personally find that to be an efficient use of my gun funds, no, unless there was no overlap between them somehow. e.g. P320 doublestack, glock single stack 9mms, M&P45s, or something.

I have an M&P45 and then a ton of glock 9mms, and I sort of wish the M&P was a Glock 21 instead.
    I have the M&P 2.0 full-size 45acp and a gen 3 Glock 21SF. I much prefer the M&P due to its grip size and pointability. For me, the ergos of the 21 just aren't as inviting. If Glock ever comes out with a gen 5 21.........now that would be tempting.

User Tag List