Thread: Week 385: 2-Shot Draw on Two Targets

Week 385: 2-Shot Draw on Two Targets

Week 385: 2-Shot Draw on Two Targets

Results may be posted until August 14th, 2020.

Designed by: Todd Louis Green
    Range: 5 yards +
    Target: Two 3x5 cards
    Start Position: Holstered
    Rounds Fired: 20-60

This drill was developed primarily to address the DA/SA transition for traditional double action pistols. However, it is also valid for SA, DAO, and SFA guns.

Begin holstered at 5yd. Draw and fire one shot to the first 3x5 card, keeping the trigger pulled all the way to the rear after the shot is fired. Aim at the second card, then allow the trigger forward to reset, and fire one round at the second card. Repeat for a total of ten pairs (20 shots). Compare the group size/location between your first card (which should be ten single shots from the draw) and your second card (which should be ten single shots from reset).

If you got all your hits on both cards at 5yd, repeat the process at 7yd. If you score 100% hits at 7yd, increase to 10yd and repeat again.

The primary goal for this drill is to make the shooter aware of the difference between the trigger's movement from rest (fully forward) and from reset (fully back). If the two 3x5 cards at a given distance look substantially different (e.g., if one card has all hits and the other has many misses; or, one has a centered group and the other is grouped low left), then you know that you're doing something different in the way you manipulate the trigger when transitioning from first shot to follow-up shots.

If you cannot draw from the holster, instead begin from a ready position.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

• starting position (ready position, open holster, retention holster, or concealed)
    • number of misses for each card at 5yd
    • number of misses for each card at 7yd (if scored 100% at 5yd)
    • number of misses for each card at 10yd (if scored 100% at 7yd)
    • anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

CZ P09 with kadet rimfire kit and tlr-1
    phlster floodlight under a button up

Misses at 5 - 0

Name:  20200815_111658.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  58.8 KB

Misses at 7 - 2

Name:  20200815_112152.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  55.5 KB

I missed the first DA shot at 7 - high hit. Just sorta went through the motions after that. Ended up missing 1 other DA shot. Honestly, I didn't find the value in this drill. It's entirely possible I simply missed the point, but it felt like burning bad reps. I was a touch left with my da shots @ 5 and sa @ 7.

It was super hard to fight the urge to reset the trigger and have it prepped before getting to the next target. Pinning sucks and I get that's not the point but it just felt unnatural. Didn't really have my heart in it because of that and it felt artificial.

Ran it with a rimfire because ammo is short here so I'm doing the bulk of my shooting with .22 as a dryfire with better feedback mindset, then running 50 rounds of centerfire at the end to make sure I am not slipping in the grip department etc...
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

User Tag List