Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2A: 9th Circuit Holds 'Large Capacity' Magazines are Protected by 2nd Amendment

Who picks the en banc panel. If it's truly random, I have a feeling CA may not want to roll the dice. If it's "random..."

Exciting news for those of us in CA. I bought some mags during "Freedom Week", and will probably add more to my collection.

I just did a quick check of Brownell's, Midway, and CDNN but didn't see anything on those websites to indicate they're ready ship to CA yet.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    Who picks the en banc panel. If it's truly random, I have a feeling CA may not want to roll the dice. If it's "random..."
    It's randomly selected by the court's clerk (or deputy clerk) with at least one judge witnessing the draw. See the Ninth's version of FRAP 35-3 http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastor...rules/frap.pdf

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Exciting news for those of us in CA. I bought some mags during "Freedom Week", and will probably add more to my collection.

I just did a quick check of Brownell's, Midway, and CDNN but didn't see anything on those websites to indicate they're ready ship to CA yet.
    Technically the lower court's stay is still in effect.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Technically the lower court's stay is still in effect.
    Interesting. Does the lower court have to make an announcement that the stay is lifted?

This is a very interesting and tough to predict situation. 4 years ago I would have said it was likely to get an en banc hearing, and just as likely to be overturned. Now, with the recent changes to the 9th Circuit both sides are in a tough spot.

The State risks either not getting an en banc review, or they risk getting one with judges that will support the original panel. Further by pursuing this further they risk a highly unpredictable Supreme Court ruling.

The plaintiffs have only a slightly better position, as they can hope the ruling stands, and is not pursued at the Supreme Court. However, they too risk a highly unpredictable Supreme Court ruling.I
    All assuming the Court would even grant cert, and based on recent gun cases that doesn't look good.

Anyone wishing this to go to the Supreme Court should keep in mind, if the Court agrees to hear it, by the time the case actually is heard, and decided, there the makeup of the Court could be much different. Not only is Justice Ginsburg's age/health a factor, it should be noted Justices Breyer, Thomas, and Alito, are all over 70, and with the exceptions of Justices Kavanaugh and Gorsuch, everyone else on the Court is over 60. All of them are high risk if they get COVID-19 just based on age. Other health factors could be a problem too.

All of this going on when it's uncertain who will be making any possible appointments, and it's uncertain what the makeup of the Senate will be like when those possible appointments are made.

I wouldn't want to place bets on how this will end up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cacafuego View Post
    Isn't the next hurdle an en banc hearing?
    Probably, yes.

Site Supporter
    The 9th: "Oh, you mean THAT Constitution?!?"
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

For what it's worth, PSA is accepting mag orders from California. I imagine they'll hold off on shipping for a while.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    This puts the state of California in a spot... If they go to the USSC, to try to get this overturned, the ruling stands until the issue is decided, If the USSC declines to hear the case, like they have 10 other 2Acases, the ruling stands.. DiFi, Nancy and a few others are probably blowing a fuse right about now.. For you folks in California, this is your big chance, get’em while you can, because I have no doubt that the Attorney General of California is scrambling to come up with a appeal...
    This will certainly go to an en banc review that will set things back the way they were. Given how Roberts has moved to the left on so many things lately, I'm not sure we want this in SCOTUS.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

User Tag List