Thread: Buchanan Precision Machine L-N-L Hand Reloading Portable Press

Buchanan Precision Machine L-N-L Hand Reloading Portable Press

For years, I have done a bit of loading at the shooting bench, not the reloading bench, when working up new loads. If the weather cooperates (not too hot, not too cold, not too humid, not too windy), it allows me to experiment with really quick feedback. I will typically load batches of five or ten rounds, shoot them, note performances, and continue. I have measured out multiple loads at the reloading bench for loading into cases outside as it is not really possible to consistently drop and weigh charges when it is windy or humid. During most of that time, I used a Lee Hand Press with bits and pieces from a Lee Loader and a portable scale. I also deprime brass with the tool when watching a game on TV. For the price, I got my money's worth out of that kit. Lee Precision offers great value. But the Lee Hand Press is tough on the hands for cartridges with thicker brass. Due to the shortage of 9x19, a new-to-me 2011 with a Tribrid barrel, and some time due to WFH and COVID-19, I decided to work up a few 9x23 loads.

But I did not want to setup my Dillon 550 for new 9x23 loads as it is a ton of work to run just ten rounds per load. I dragged out the Lee Hand Press and learned that more leverage was needed that I had to resize that brass. I still wanted to experiment without the Dillon press. A shooting buddy who is a rabid reloader told me about the Buchanan Precision Machine portable press. His version is the older one before the addition of the Hornady L-N-L feature. I tried it, and it was able to resize the 9x23 brass with no issues. I ordered one with the L-N-L feature as I like not having to adjust dies just to swap dies. It is a bit expensive but good tools cost good money.

https://buchananprecisionmachine.com...ress-with-case

That reminds me of a press Huntington Die Specialties used to sell.

This statement from the owner explains the philosophy of the company better than I can.

Buchanan Precision Machine is a veteran-owned Machine Shop located in Ojai CA. Our products are built around our primary interests which are Off Road Vehicles, Firearms and Servicing of the Military and Law Enforcement Communities. Our Motto is “Exceptional Products for Demanding Use.”

Our philosophy of delivering “What is needed, rather than what is asked for,” has been driven by the two primary Factors of Craftsmanship which we practice relentlessly: Attention to Detail and Personal Responsibility.

While perfection is unobtainable, the daily pursuit of it is mandatory!

Ordinary Machine Shops would only build to a print and if it doesn’t work after you get it,,, too bad,,, you get to pay for it any way.

BPM has always been willing to point out obvious deficiencies in a design or specification, and make the necessary changes at no extra charge to the customer. Once again Attention to Detail and Personal Responsibility, are the Cornerstones of our company.

Over the last 29 years, one of BPM’s primary customers has been the US Navy and the RAM Consortium of Port Hueneme, CA. BPM has made numerous external and internal parts for the Rolling Airframe Missile (RAM) System, a Ship Defense Weapons System. BPM has always delivered a workable finished product, as opposed to “exactly what is called for by the print.” Too many times the inadequacies of Civilian Engineers with little or no actual field experience have reared their ugly heads and necessitated “on the fly” modifications, which if not done would have resulted in unworkable parts, unmet due dates, and wasted Tax Payer Dollars.

BPM has an unblemished record of providing Components and Parts that function correctly the first time, built to standards well above expectations, on time, without overrun of costs over the last 29 years.

I hope that you will support our endeavor with your patronage, and have confidence that you are purchasing quality products that are Made in America.

William R. Buchanan
    Owner

Site Supporter
    I've been reading about the press since it was first offered. The man is a machinist and uses premium materials. He assembles each one by hand. He must be doing it as a hobby because for less than $250 a pop, he is losing money. Lee makes a hand press that serves a similar function, but there is no comparison in quality, strength, and precision.

That's a pretty nice setup.

For load dev at the range, I am currently using a single stage Hornady LNL mounted to a wood box. I bring already sized and primed brass to the range so I don't need to spend a lot of time doing the loading part.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I have absolutely no use for that, but I WANT one, because it's just so freaking neat!

I can see loading my miniscule # of 38 specials and 45-70 on that, instead of on the 550...

I’m interested in your 9x23 loads

Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    I’m interested in your 9x23 loads
    One of my go-to loads in a five-inch pistol is the 124-grain Berry "thick plated" bullet over 9 grains of VV 3N38 for 1325 fps using a Winchester small rifle primer. OAL is 1.250". The same load with a 124-grain JHP is excellent on Alabama deer.

It is about 100 fps slower than the factory 124-grain JSP load. Going to 9.3 grains of 3N38 pushes the velocity up to 1425 fps and duplicates factory loads. These loads are ONLY for use in the Winchester 9x23 brass with rifle primers. Do not use Starline brass or pistol primers. The Winchester brass is both thicker and stronger but has less internal volume than the Starline brass.

8 grains of 3N37 with the same bullet, case, and primer reaches 1300 fps in the same pistol. 3N37 is more economical than 3N38. I use it when I am backing off the velocity. 6.5 grains will still go at 1150 fps.

I like 3N38 because a double charge will more than fill the case, making that error easy to catch. No powder is also easy to see due to the volume of a proper load. It also burns slowly, allowing high velocity without too much pressure. SVI also recommends using only 3N38 for ported barrels with comps.

Take a look at the RCBS Partner press. I have one mounted on a piece of plate steel that I used to load with at the range. When I used to shoot short range Benchrest, this is the press that most shooters uses and lot of records were set using it. If you're shooting from a stable bench you might as well use that and get the leverage of a traditional press.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I dragged out the Lee Hand Press and learned that more leverage was needed that I had to resize that brass.

I've used my Lee HP to size/load all kinds of stuff. I've used it to trim as well with the addition of the Lee trimmer with a cordless drill.

Leverage could be better and it might be time for Lee to update the design by lengthening the handles. Make them actual handles too instead of the weird paddle shape. Anyway, for cases that require a bit of force to size; I place one handle against my breastbone and press the other handle into my chest. It works okay.

User Tag List