Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How long did it take for RDS to be faster?

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    I believe he is referring to the visual effect of target distance, as in, the further away the target the more it is obscured by the dot (so conversely it looks smaller up close?)
    But I don't know how that translates to slower speed up close... It's not something I've ever perceived.
    Bingo! Thank you, bud.

I have my SRO aimed at a paster at about 2 steps distance as I type this. All 5 MOA of it is well within that paster. Looks ti-ny.
    Now, I have just executed a near damn perfect 90 degrees support hand only dry fire transition and I am aiming at a spot 15 yards away. That spot is a 2.5 inch white circle, and same dot almost fills it in. Certainly fully covers two pasters next to it.

The number of times I shot a hoser target and thought "shit, this dot is smaaall, I wish it popped more" is substantial. But that's just me. Although one of our local M class dudes got a 10 MOA dot just for that reason.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

When I picked up an RDS equipped G34, I was immediately faster than irons with 0 transition time at all distances and target difficulties. As I have spent more time on it, I have been able to push it to an even faster level, especially on distant targets and tight partials as I've learned just how much I can get away with. The real key to transitioning to an RDS comes down to three key things:

1. Having a developed and effective index so that the gun/RDS/sights goes to where you're looking without having to make minute adjustments.
    2. Truly understanding how to see what you need to see and not see what you don't need to see. This one is deep, and I think it is where most people get hung up.
    3. Being completely comfortable shooting target focus and not staring at the dot.

I think having a strong grasp of these on irons before even picking up an RDS contributed to a seamless transition.

From what I can see, all RDS classes really focus on the first two. Tons of reps of draws to the point where your index improves combined with learning to shoot the red streak (at a basic level) on close targets rather than wait for the dot to stop. I think only the more advanced instructors spend much time or can even diagnose number 3 though.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post

Another thing we should be critical of is the notion that RDS has got to become a total winner over the irons because we all have invested so much time and effort in it. It doesn't. It may become an overall winner in the totality of tasks, but if you're talking just a draw to a large target up close, I still think irons win. Especially when comparing with an RMR with its small window and thick frame.
    Yes.^ If you want to shoot a FAST or Miami Vice drill, RMR's won't really help you at all that fast and that close. But, it shouldn't really slow you down either. That's been my own experience.

I used to say that any serious weapon should have an optic. I've backed off of that, and just say there's no reason not to have an optic.

I guess this depends on a skill level but I've found that 3x5 card at 7 during the FAST is a small enough target where I already start benefiting from the dot.

I just took a couple of hours in a Modern Samurai Project class. Get some real training, it's very much worth the effort and the money.

I guess this depends on a skill level but I've found that 3x5 card at 7 during the FAST is a small enough target where I already start benefiting from the dot.
    The RDS helps in that arena to me as well, same as draws to an A Zone at 25 yards or the credit card at varying distances. I rarely shoot the FAST but ran it the other day three times with an average of a 1.40 draw to the 3x5 from an ALS holster. I think the issue you are having can be worked through, if I was able to I'd spend some range time with you.

What I more meant was it would be cool to spend time on the range and shot with you to see, not that I can just fix it lol. Also for the FAST overall time was 4.77 clean on the run I remember. I could shot the heads faster but that was shooting for 100% accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by karmapolice View Post
    What I more meant was it would be cool to spend time on the range and shot with you to see, not that I can just fix it lol.
    I always welcome people fixing stuff in my shooting so that's all good.

User Tag List