Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Having a tough time during qualifications

Site Supporter
    In addition to all that has been stated, especially getting quality 1 on 1 instruction.

Make sure your vision is up to snuff re current vision Rx.

Use ear plugs under a set of ear muffs which may help report/flinch/perceived over pressure etc.

Strive to use all available time at each shooting position. Tom Givens first told me that many shoot too slow up close not earning points at all and shooting too fast at distance dropping points.

I fully concur with Duke that a lot of this is in your head.

FWIW, shooting low and left with Glocks is not at all uncommon. Many years ago, when I was a new shooter, I was convinced that the sights on my Gen 2 Glock 17 needed adjusting. The range I shoot at is connected to a store, so I let one of the experienced guys in the shop shoot my gun. He put five holes on the target where he was aiming, shrugged, then handed my gun back to me.

I work on Glock trigger control with an Advantage Arms .22 LR conversion kit. It even uses Glock sights, so you can match the sight picture of your duty pistol and get the exact grip and trigger. .22 LR is still inexpensive and available.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by kain View Post
    Having a tough time...
    A good instructor will sort out your issue in short order. Yes, it'll cost money, but what is the cost of changing jobs? Your solution, I think, is quality instruction, one-on-one instruction.

The pistol-forum search function works well. If you search for a thread discussing recommended instructors in your area, you'll quickly find a qualified someone who can help you to fix your issue.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    With your Glock, try alternating live and dummy rounds in the magazine so your every other trigger press is on a live round, and every other on a dummy one. Focus on a clean trigger press. Dry fire at the range can also be more beneficial than just at home - being at the range with your eyes and ears on may make it feel more similar to live fire. And of course you have the opportunity to switch between dry and live according to the results you are getting.
    IMO, you should randomize the order of the rounds, rather than having a pre-set alternation, as now you have no idea if it's a live round or not, so you will have the same amount of anticipation for each trigger pull. When I started, what I would do is load a couple of mags with just two or three rounds, with a random mixture of ball and dummy (primarily dummy), making sure that the magazine weights aren't far enough apart that you can discern which mag is which, and randomly select a magazine to load (I put mine in a box, shook it around, closed my eyes, and then loaded blind). This works fairly well for slower rates of fire; I am very confident that I have zero flinch at this point with slow fire, though it can crop up under rapid fire at times, and there's not much you can do about that for most people, AFAIK, outside of extensive live fire. It also makes it very easy to see if there is in fact an issue with just the first few tries, as you'll see the muzzle dip/pull when you hit a dummy instead of ball.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 08-14-2020 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Where are you located, if you don't mind sharing? Some really good folks on the local level can do a one on one lesson. Correcting yourself can be difficult as you cannot see subtle movements and positioning in your grip, etc.
    This. The odds are good that one of us can help.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    IMO, you should randomize the order of the rounds
    The way I've understood it, random ball-and-dummy is a great diagnostic tool for discovering whether the shooter flinches during slow fire, but a set sequence of live-and-dummy is better for drill use where you are attempting to get rid of a known flinch. Probably different schools of thought on this though, and there is no harm in trying both ways and seeing what works best.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Site Supporter
    "Back in the day" before kids and the grind when I was taking hundred of hours of firearms classes a year, I out shot LE Firearm Instructors and other dedicated shooters on dry practice alone, the only rounds I shot were in classes or competitions. Maybe not the best path but don't let ammo prices and lack of range access make you believe you cannot be a great shooter.

I am a chump today but spend more time with a chainsaw than a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Yep, watched that before. Makes it even worse to watch that, walk away with the knowledge and shoot just as badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemas2 View Post
    There are people more qualified than me to answer this online, but I would like to put some things out there.

If you are able, find a professional instructor not a weekend NRA guy. Someone who can actually diagnose what your issues are and show you how to correct them. I would HIGHLY recommend Steve Fisher of Sentinel Concepts as he was the one got me shooting straight with Glocks. Without knowing your Dept, Many PD instructors don't know how to teach they just read a script.

If you can't get the time off or do the travel Check out Youtube, specifically Sage Dynamics. Look through his channel for anything about grip and trigger control. Some other good resources on YT are Practically Tactical, Primary & Secondary, modern samurai project, and The Humble marksman (look for his "training dojo/" and "Training diary" videos) Also the Surefire field notes series is good, one that come to mind

Starting at 3:30 may be the most relevant for you.

Daily Dryfire is your friend and you can do it at home for free. (Make 100% sure you gun and any mags are empty.) Focus on your grip make sure it is firm and consistent and apply a good trigger press. I have not used the mantis system before, I suspect at least part of what it happening is that in your dry fire you are not gripping hard enough and that is where the issue in live fire is coming up.
    Interesting on the dry fire part. Not gripping hard enough during dry fire. One of the LE firearms instructors on qual day mentioned that I have a death grip on the gun when I am shooting and that my grip should only be as tight as a firm hand shake. Maybe I am doing the opposite during dry fire.

User Tag List