Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Having a tough time during qualifications

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Let me know if this picture helps. At the start you may not know exactly where a miss goes but you should see enough to the general direction. For example if I had the last sight picture on the right when the shot breaks, I may notice that something went wrong and the shot went right. Over time you could start to know exactly how far right your shot went.

Attachment 58844
    Ahh yes, this pic does help. I never thought of it this way but now I always will.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by kain View Post
    Another thing....is my Airsoft and my very precise range doing me any good or bad? I like not having to rack the slide....

https://www.umarexusa.com/glock-g17-gen-4-gbb-6mm-black

Another comment.....

Everyone was telling me how much easier life would be with a Glock 45 over the Glock 23.

re the G23 vs G45. mechanically a Glock is a Glock. The G45 has a longer grip and the pinky is actually the strongest part of the grip so most people shoot full sized grip guns better.

However, for a single shot with no time pressure there should not be much difference between a G23 and a G45. Multiple shots with time pressure is where the G45 should have a noticeable advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    re the G23 vs G45. mechanically a Glock is a Glock. The G45 has a longer grip and the pinky is actually the strongest part of the grip so most people shoot full sized grip guns better.

However, for a single shot with no time pressure there should not be much difference between a G23 and a G45. Multiple shots with time pressure is where the G45 should have a noticeable advantage.
    Learning so much here!

Going to get some rest. Have lots to put together. Glad I found this place.

Site Supporter
    I had issues at agency #1 with my g23 gen4 but that is the same pistol I blew the milk lid off a year later with in the milk story. Sergeant's g23 gen3 was what I was using. I had never fired it before.

Staff did shoot my g45 and found it to shoot a little low and left initially but with them being at Stage 3 or 4 that didn't last long. After a few rounds they were right on center.

No time pressure yields good results say 80% of the time. Time pressure usually yields negative results.
    Time pressure (as opposed to pure reaction) can enhance pre-ignition push issues.

Watch the Chuck Pressburg video. Then watch it again after your next live fire session, ideally after you videoed yourself or had someone video you in slow motion.

Chuck has forgotten more about pistol shooting than I know.

Student
    I have had "training" here. It feels like everything here is so rush rush and just take your money.
    About 50 miles North of Richmond. 1 hour and 20 minutes East of Charlottesville. 45 minutes South of Quantico. 25 minutes from Fredericksburg. Sorry to be vague but you get the idea.
    From where I'm sitting in front of my keyboard here in Arizona, I think you might actually be in a really good spot to access trainers who should certainly be able to help you. Do these names look familiar?

https://www.justifieddefensiveconcepts.com/
    https://www.green-ops.com/

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Hey everyone.

I am a Reserve Deputy and have been disqualified in the past at the range due to my shooting inabilities. No one had the time to work with me so I turned in my badge and went to a department where much more training was offered.

I received 40 hours of training with my issued Glock 45. I must have gone through 800 rounds during that time.

No matter what, I would always shoot low and left and score in the 60's. The trainers took me to another part of the range to work with me and I finally scored a 90. Qualifications here are 7/15/25 yards and 50 rounds.

Ranges are pretty far away and I am not permitted to use their range unless I am qualifying. Ammo is so expensive now. I can't imagine going to the range and pumping out a 1000 rounds to not improve.

I am right handed, right eye dominant, and shoot low and left. It is so frustrating to get sight picture and sight alignment just to pull that trigger and sometimes shoot the ground. Nothing is more frustrating than taking 30 seconds to pull that trigger and still not have it shoot where I want it to go. It is so frustrating to hear that instructor say "sight picture" "sight alignment" and let them know that is exactly what I did over and over again.

I started dry firing with Mantis x3 and the thing says that I am doing great...scores consistently in the 90's...but take it to the range and all hell still breaks loose.

I also have Glock 19 and Glock 17 Umarex Replicas that I shoot in my backyard range. Again....I am a champ at 7/15/25 yards.

Any pointers here? Qualification is coming again and I don't think they will have as much time to work with me due to cost of ammo these days.

Sometimes I think that not everyone is destined to shoot, just like not everyone is destined to sprint or run long distance.

It would be a shame to have to turn my badge in at this agency too.

I am hoping for open dialogue here. If you suggest it, I have probably already done it. Very frustrating.

I feel like I am at a disadvantage because I started shooting only about 4 years ago and I am surrounded by folks that have been shooting their whole lives.

Thanks for your time.
    @kain

I'm willing to do some one on one coaching with you. I sent you my cell number. Give me a call if you're interested and we'll work out the details.
    3/15/2016

I think part of your problem is stress. When you're at a range with someone and you've made it clear you can't perform and their are no expectations you surprise yourself. When you're around LE instructors and you really need to get it done, you flounder.

If you really want to do this, you need to stop bitching about the drive and the money and get to the range. If you go shoot 200 rounds a week for 3 months you'll see a difference. If it matters to you, then put in the work. That means live fire more often, and become accustom to shooting. Just plain getting comfortable.

That having been said, during that time it would be very beneficial to pay close attention to the technical aspects of shooting so you can improve on your fundamentals. When you're shooting by yourself there is no pressure. It's a fun day at the range. Grip a lot harder with your support hand. Relax your grip somewhat with your primary hand. Don't worry about where your finger is on the trigger, as long as it feels natural. Point your sights at a sticky note 3 yards away and shoot. Nothing is on the line if you don't hit.

During the period of regular practice, seek out coaching. Note, I didn't say some guy with an instructor cert. Someone who knows how to shoot AND knows how to teach is important. Any competent shooter can say "focus on the front sight" "slow down get your hits" and "More/less finger on the trigger and get an instructor cert from an LE agency or the NRA. None of that means they can see what you as an individual needs and is doing wrong. A good instructor is a lot more like a coach, who adapts to you a a shooter. A few hundred rounds with a good instructor will drastically develop you as a shooter - If you have a good attitude and walk in open minded. Having your mind made up you can't do it when you head to the range - will guarantee you're right every time. A good instructor will be able to look at you as an individual - hand issues included - and help you get where you need to be. Right now, you don't really know what you're doing wrong, and that's okay. That's what solid instruction is for.

You CAN do this. Seek a competent instructor (preferably one suggested by members of this forum. I'm betting you've been PM'd with suggestions for who to see in your area). Then, spend the time regularly shooting on a minimum weekly basis. Don't look for the time and money, MAKE IT HAPPEN. It'll sort itself out. If you couple regular range trips with good coaching you'll improve drastically. At the level you are at, I'm not certain dry fire will help you. You need to know what correct is like before you can practice it dry.

I probably come off as a bit of a dick, but please know I honestly want you to improve and do better.

Edit:

Call this man, and do what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    @kain

I'm willing to do some one on one coaching with you. I sent you my cell number. Give me a call if you're interested and we'll work out the details.

@kain

I strongly suggest that you go see the folks at Justified Defense Concepts. @TCinVA will be able to diagnose what you are doing and help you correct it. They are based in Culpeper.
    @John Murphy of FPF Training is also in Culpeper and offers great training as well.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I think part of your problem is stress. When you're at a range with someone and you've made it clear you can't perform and their are no expectations you surprise yourself. When you're around LE instructors and you really need to get it done, you flounder.
    I wonder if it might be something deeper than just "performance anxiety," and shooting may not be the problem. You couldn't shoot the 23 when it was your duty gun, but now you have no problem with it. You can shoot other Glocks that aren't your duty gun OK. But your duty gun is a problem.

Is there something going on at a deeper psychological level where you may not be ready to use the duty gun for "duty use" if you had to, and that's close enough to being in conscious awareness that it's keeping you from using it for sorta-duty use like qualifying? Have you talked with a trainer or counselor about what the consequences would be if you did have to use it, and are you OK with those? Is your brain pulling the handbrake to keep you off a path it knows you aren't OK with?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    @kain

You the man.

User Tag List