Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Having a tough time during qualifications

Just wanted to stop and say THANK YOU for every single post here.

Two questions came to mind based on the info you've shared so far.

1) You mentioned dryfire. Are you just doing slow presses, or mixing in faster trigger pulls? Do you see a difference in live fire results between slow vs faster firing?

2) When you dryfire, are you able to call your shots based on the sights when the shot breaks? If yes, do you see the sights and can you call your shots in live fire as well?

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Two questions came to mind based on the info you've shared so far.

1) You mentioned dryfire. Are you just doing slow presses, or mixing in faster trigger pulls? Do you see a difference in live fire results between slow vs faster firing?

Kind of neither actually. Going with that cliche (perhaps localized) that slow is fast and fast is smooth. I started off slow but now concentrate on speed. Sometimes I do start over and go slow but never mix really. I *generally* shoot much better by taking my time during live rounds. I used to be pretty fast and inaccurate and then I was told to slow it down. I have been told to take 30 seconds and getting used to when the shot breaks that it should be a total surprise...perhaps that got rid of my flinch. I then got *suckered* into taking too long during qualifications e.g. 2 shots 3 seconds and I began to take 4.5 as opposed to the 2 seconds I used to take when being a bad shot.

2) When you dryfire, are you able to call your shots based on the sights when the shot breaks? If yes, do you see the sights and can you call your shots in live fire as well?
    Could you please explain #2 another way? I assume you are asking whether or not I have the ability to already know where my shots are going to go based upon when the shot breaks e.g. when the trigger breaks? Sorry, learning the lingo still. If that is what you are asking. The answer is no. I have little idea in either circumstance. I take that back actually. With lots of practice, I can see that front sight drop during live fire and know it is going to be a bad shot when it is even in dry fire.

I can even see when I flinch...which is rare.
    Last edited by kain; 08-14-2020 at 08:50 PM.

Another comment. Maybe this does fall under the stovepipe of "aiming is useless". In one exercise we turned off the lights and I actually scored higher. WTH? LOL.

Also tried the washer behind the front sight trick during dry fire and it doesn't budge ever.

Quote Originally Posted by kain View Post
    You might have missed one of my most recent posts. Sorry, but there have been so many responses to my initial post here and I am just now getting around to it. Flinch is not the issue in general. I have tried the mixing dummy rounds and don't flinch. Something else here likely.
    When you mix dummy rounds in, do you do it randomly and mix up mags so you don't know whether you're going to get a live round or a dummy, or do you have a pattern when you load like alternating dummy rounds and live rounds? If you subconsciously know which rounds are the dummy rounds, then your recoil anticipation flinch/pre-ignition push wont manifest.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by kain View Post
    You might have missed one of my most recent posts. Sorry, but there have been so many responses to my initial post here and I am just now getting around to it. Flinch is not the issue in general. I have tried the mixing dummy rounds and don't flinch. Something else here likely.
    I saw it but I've heard that before. More than once.

If your reported performance with the mantis X dry fire and airsoft are accurate, then it's an issue that only occurs live fire....

No offense but just because you aren't seeing it in ball and dummy, at the level you are at, doesn't mean it's not going on. Self analysis is difficult which is why the outside perspective of coaching and actual instructing are a thing.

I've had multiple shooters with the same issue say they don't have recoil anticipation until we video them in slow motion and they see themselves dipping the gun just before breaking the shot. For a variety of reasons, it doesn't matter how many times we say it or how we phrase it, there are shooters who will not admit to them selves they are "flinching" until they see themselves doing it on slow motion video. I specify slow motion because the dip or push is very brief and it can be easy to miss it at actual speed.

I dislike the use of the term flinch as it has negative connotations as if you are are afraid of the gun going off. Pre-ignition push is much more accurate. its actually an issue of over compensation.

1) Watch the Pressburg video.

2) video your self in slow motion including close ups of your hands, wrists and the pistol in live fire rather than your whole body.

3) do live fire and ball / dummy with the mantis X and compare the pre and post shot movement patterns against your dry fire patterns.

You also mentioned taking 30 seconds for a trigger pull which can be counter productive. The bump drill will give you a much better "feel" for where your trigger breaks.

PS- I agree with the prior poster that many LE Firearms "instructors" are two week wonders who are basically good shooters / range safety officers / target graders. Teaching and diagnostics are both separate and distinct skill-sets. 25 years as an LEO with 15 as an instructor including 5 as a full time academy instructor and running a firearms program for 700 plus. Many of the 2 week wonders aren't bad guys but especially in small departments they are part time FI's with no training in adult learning beyond a couple hours in their 2 week FI school. They also don't have the opportunity to watch thousands of shooters send millions of rounds down range they way one might in a larger agency. Sometimes it takes a bigger sample size to start seeing patterns.

calling your shot would be knowing where the shot is going to go when the trigger breaks/clicks based on the sight picture you see in that moment. So in dry fire whether you’re pressing the trigger fast or slow, you should be getting feedback on the quality of your shot based on the sight picture you see. The reason I asked is for me things started to click when I was focused on calling my shots in live fire. I realized that the reason I couldn’t see the sights to call my shot was because I was blinking/flinching when the gun was going off, with predictably low shots. It also helped me to focus on trying to call my shots and shoot based on my sights, and helped take my mind off the explosion about to happen, which cut down on flinching as well.

I asked about whether you practiced both slow and fast presses because I’ve seen people only practice slow fire then tons of problem pop up when they start shooting at a rapid pace due to issues like a poor grip which may not matter as much when going slower.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    When you mix dummy rounds in, do you do it randomly and mix up mags so you don't know whether you're going to get a live round or a dummy, or do you have a pattern when you load like alternating dummy rounds and live rounds? If you subconsciously know which rounds are the dummy rounds, then your recoil anticipation flinch/pre-ignition push wont manifest.
    Valid point. The instructor loads random dummy rounds. As a matter of fact, the other deputies actually load them and we swap mags so no chance of getting into a pattern.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Yes, best practice is to have someone else load the mixed mags for you or dump both on a bag and load them "blind."

It will also be much easier to see with a red dot equipped pistol vs irons. A higher visibility front sight can help as well. There are reasons why many agencies are now issuing HD type iron sights.

User Tag List