Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Retinal detachment and shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I’m in the “no sparring in the boxing ring”
    When the DA wants to know why I shot a guy punching me, I'm gonna say it's "Doctor's orders" that I don't get punched in the head

Site Supporter
    I will only add that if medical attention is needed, get it from an ophthalmologist. Do not get it from the physician's assistant at your local emergency room. Find one who is good and who can be reached after hours in an emergency.

I am at high risk for retina detachment, and my ophthalmologist has stated I need to avoid magnum rifles from the bench. He also cautioned me to lower my shotgun usage. He is also a shooter (and one of my shooting buddies), so he has a good grasp of both the medical issues and different firearms.

Tore the retina in my right eye six years ago. I first saw flashes in that eye, after shooting a 1,000 rounds of 7.62x39 in a class. Lifetime of shooting large caliber rifles. A year later it tore, when out at our remote cabin. My wife flew me to help and had a big tear laser repaired. Subsequently I had two posterior vitreous detachments which resulted in a bunch of floaters. Pretty well resolved now, for the last five years.

Risk factors are near sighted and 50’s age. No doubt hammering from big calibers contributed. Don’t mess around with this. These are much more common than you might expect.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Thanks everyone. Sounds like it's best to just err on the side of caution.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    my ophthalmologist has stated I need to avoid magnum rifles from the bench. He also cautioned me to lower my shotgun usage. He is also a shooter (and one of my shooting buddies), so he has a good grasp of both the medical issues and different firearms.
    Did they say if it's just recoil or does blast/concussion also play a part? I would assume not as the mechanism sounds different, but at this point I'm also considering restricting even the 5.56 shooting to outdoor ranges if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Did they say if it's just recoil or does blast/concussion also play a part? I would assume not as the mechanism sounds different, but at this point I'm also considering restricting even the 5.56 shooting to outdoor ranges if need be.
    Good question. I will ask him these weekend when we are shooting. He is a bit of a character and LOVES big rounds. He has not cautioned my about my 9x23 guns, which operate at 5.56 pressures. He also said nothing about .454 Casull, but my elbows ended my serious usage of that round. He specifically warned me off the .300 Magnum class and above rounds.

I have scleral buckles in both eyes. My eye surgeon (since 1982) just told me to stay away from big rifles. I spent a couple years shooting trap with an o/u without drama too. I shoot mostly indoors now, with 5.56, 9mm, 38spl, 45acp

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Indeed, and the classic "black curtain falling slowly across your field of view".
    This is how I recognized mine. Went to the eye doc that day and was scheduled for surgery a couple of days later. That was three years ago, everything's still where it should be but I have floaters.

Good question. I will ask him these weekend when we are shooting. He is a bit of a character and LOVES big rounds. He has not cautioned my about my 9x23 guns, which operate at 5.56 pressures. He also said nothing about .454 Casull, but my elbows ended my serious usage of that round. He specifically warned me off the .300 Magnum class and above rounds.
    Got the answer on blast and concussion. Short answer is blast and concussion do add to the risk of retinal detachment. There are pressure waves associated with the blast and concussion. The good news is that shooting glasses block the pressure waves from striking the eyes directly. Bad news is the pressure can be conducted through bones and flesh. Overall recoil is the main culprit as long as good eye protection is worn.

Got the answer on blast and concussion. Short answer is blast and concussion do add to the risk of retinal detachment. There are pressure waves associated with the blast and concussion. The good news is that shooting glasses block the pressure waves from striking the eyes directly. Bad news is the pressure can be conducted through bones and flesh. Overall recoil is the main culprit as long as good eye protection is worn.
    Looks like indoor shooting ranges are back on the table then.

Thanks for following up.

User Tag List