Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Alphabet punch set to mark SBR lower?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Now you know why John Browning lived in Ogden instead of Minneapolis-Saint Paul
    What does being Mormon in the 19th century have to do with the NFA?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I think it was a joke about how many letters are in the city names.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I think it was a joke about how many letters are in the city names.
    It runs deeper than that. I also make fun of folks who create a trust name longer than needed. For example, I know a guy who named his trust something like "Me, My Wife, Our Last Name NFA Gun Trust" or some such. (LittleLebowski has an advantage here. His trust could be LL Trust, PF USA. Doesn't get much shorter than that.)

Peeling back that layer reveals John Moses Browning lived in a time before the NFA and before engraving firearms and serial numbers were mandatory.

It's also an example of Browning's genius that he had the foresight to avoid the embarrassment of having "Minneapolis-St Paul, Minnesota" stamped on his fine firearms.

Now, consider that Browning was LDS and a member of the priesthood. We believe in personal revelation. the joke suggests Browning received revelation that "If thou moveth to Minneapolis-St Paul, engraving thy firearms will be a pain in thine buttocks."

It's all about economy. Four alliterations for the price of one joke.

Next, Browning probably never considered moving to Minneapolis-St Paul in the first place.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    It runs deeper than that. I also make fun of folks who create a trust name longer than needed. For example, I know a guy who named his trust something like "Me, My Wife, Our Last Name NFA Gun Trust" or some such. (LittleLebowski has an advantage here. His trust could be LL Trust, PF USA. Doesn't get much shorter than that.)

Peeling back that layer reveals John Moses Browning lived in a time before the NFA and before engraving firearms and serial numbers were mandatory.

It's also an example of Browning's genius that he had the foresight to avoid the embarrassment of having "Minneapolis-St Paul, Minnesota" stamped on his fine firearms.

Now, consider that Browning was LDS and a member of the priesthood. We believe in personal revelation. the joke suggests Browning received revelation that "If thou moveth to Minneapolis-St Paul, engraving thy firearms will be a pain in thine buttocks."

It's all about economy. Four alliterations for the price of one joke.

Next, Browning probably never considered moving to Minneapolis-St Paul in the first place.
    That’s some next-level, inception humor.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    Or instead of worrying about bureaucratic nonsense, you could just not get it engraved. You paid the $250 tax stamp and got the background check. Can they get a jury to convict you to 10 years in prison because you forgot to get it engraved too? It’s already engraved with the firearm serial number and there’s a digital database linking that serial to you. It isn’t 1940 anymore.

For this to be a problem, first you have to have the SBR in public, then you have to piss off a cop who either really knows the engraving laws and is out to get you or is clueless about NFA entirely and is out to get you. Then that cop would have to call the ATF field office who would have to decide over the phone to send an agent, even after they checked the database and confirmed it’s registered to you.

Then that agent would have to show up and instead of giving you a warning suggesting you get it engraved, he decides to jack you up too.

After that, you’d need a USDA willing to file charges and a grand jury willing to bill you and then a jury willing to convict you.

I’d bet not a single person with a legitimate NFA tax stamp has ever actually even been arrested for failing to engrave, let alone convicted.

Or you can worry about doing it yourself and meeting depth requirements or looking for a professional and wondering whether the engraver has a valid FFL because Rule 37c-908 subsection 11 states that the engraver must also have an FFL to touch this deadly piece of metal shaped into a lower receiver.

Either way.

If you say it’s the stakes, not the odds, then also buy asteroid insurance in case that hits your house. Also, if the government really wants to target you to jack you up, you’re already breaking 1000 other laws you have no idea about. Did you leave a coffee mug on your back patio one day? You’re illegally collecting rainwater. Did you trim hedges in your back yard without conducting a soil and ecological assessment to ensure you weren’t disrupting the habitat of local ground lizards? I just shrug.
    NFA tax stamps are $200. Please take your medication.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    That’s some next-level, inception humor.
    Not bad for pulling it out of my butt
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

User Tag List