Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: M&P Core

Quote Originally Posted by Brianjkeene View Post
    What was turn around time like? This could be the best possible optic option for an M&p now. I may have to send a couple off to them.
    9 days from the day I shipped it to the day I received it.

They must have received it as they were starting a batch or something. I think they were quoting 2 weeks. I was shocked when the package arrived.

Anyone mill a compact 2.0 for an SRO? Any issues? Is the SRO tough enough for general use like ccw and HD? Is it a lint and rain collector or gtg?

The SRO is a good optic for duty, CCW, home defense, or fun. It has advantages (big clear window, top load battery) and disadvantages (lower battery life, not as durable as an RMR, higher profile, and in my opinion worse brightness settings).

Some people rate an optic’s “duty worthiness” on the single criteria of being able to survive a specific height drop while ignoring other attributes. I feel that is flawed thinking and I believe the SRO is not only good to go, but is one of the best optics out there right now.

Worse brightening meaning it isn’t bright enough in super bright sun, or not a lot of setting range? Do you appendix carry yours?

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Worse brightening meaning it isn’t bright enough in super bright sun, or not a lot of setting range? Do you appendix carry yours?
    The brightness in sunlight is fine. My gripe is primarily with the top three settings. I like to set the brightness to a single setting for both day and night/low light. Going from full brightness to the “down one” level on my 1.0 MOA SRO is almost no difference at all, and the “down two” level is lower than I’d like... I wish the “down one” was more in between the two levels. It’s better on my 2.5 MOA version, but the brightness on my ACRO, 509Ts, and RMRs gets way more Goldilocks for me compared to the SRO. So... not really an objective failure but a personal opinion.

That said, it’s a minor drawback for me and the SRO is my favorite optic for sheer shooting performance.

I haven’t carried the SRO off duty, but a couple of my partners do and they have had no issues. The window will gather skin, lint, hair, and all the other fun stuff we all shed throughout the day (gross), but so does the RMR. My carry gun is a Glock 19MOS with a 1.0 MOA RMR and I have a lens pen in a drawer and I use the brush to clean the window every day or so. My partners do the same with their SROs. We all appendix carry.

While my carry gun has an RMR, it will probably be switched out for a 509T at some point unless something new comes along. My current duty gun has a 509T, and I’ll be setting up a second one with an ACRO once I pick up another. Both of the guns I use the most in training have SROs. One of those was my duty gun for a while before I set up my current one.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    The brightness in sunlight is fine. My gripe is primarily with the top three settings. I like to set the brightness to a single setting for both day and night/low light. Going from full brightness to the “down one” level on my 1.0 MOA SRO is almost no difference at all, and the “down two” level is lower than I’d like... I wish the “down one” was more in between the two levels. It’s better on my 2.5 MOA version, but the brightness on my ACRO, 509Ts, and RMRs gets way more Goldilocks for me compared to the SRO. So... not really an objective failure but a personal opinion.

That said, it’s a minor drawback for me and the SRO is my favorite optic for sheer shooting performance.

I haven’t carried the SRO off duty, but a couple of my partners do and they have had no issues. The window will gather skin, lint, hair, and all the other fun stuff we all shed throughout the day (gross), but so does the RMR. My carry gun is a Glock 19MOS with a 1.0 MOA RMR and I have a lens pen in a drawer and I use the brush to clean the window every day or so. My partners do the same with their SROs. We all appendix carry.

While my carry gun has an RMR, it will probably be switched out for a 509T at some point unless something new comes along. My current duty gun has a 509T, and I’ll be setting up a second one with an ACRO once I pick up another. Both of the guns I use the most in training have SROs. One of those was my duty gun for a while before I set up my current one.
    Glad you mentioned 509T, as that was my choice initially but I heard some rave reviews of the SRO from a friend so I asked. I imagine it’s a little nicer to use with that big round window and he says the housing just disappears in use but the 509t seems maintenance free and bomb proof.

I get how the 509 would be a little less quick at first with the looking through a longer housing factor. But I like it being a beast. I like the made in USA factor of Trijicon and this being a first dot, the SRO seems from what I hear, easy to learn on.

A good friend of mine just got an SRO mounted on his Roland Special, and it's a FANTASTIC sight to run on the range. That huge window with a fairly thin housing really keeps the focus on the target, where it belongs when shooting an RDS. Having shot quite a bit with other optics, I can say the SRO is the most "shooting friendly" optic I've seen.

On the other hand, I'm not sure the SRO is sturdy enough even for concealed carry. That huge polymer frame doesn't look like it would stand up to much, if any abuse. On the opposite extreme, the 509T looks bullet proof, at the obvious cost of having a lot more metal in your field of view, and a smaller piece of glass to look through.

Were I in the market for a carry optic right now for actual SD or duty use, I'd almost certainly go for the 509T, unless Aimpoint somehow poops an Acro with more reasonable battery life.

The SRO body is not polymer. It’s 7075 aluminum. I have an SRO sitting on my desk at work with a shattered window but with a working and visible dot that remained zeroed after three drops. The 509T housing survived two drops with only a crack in the rear glass but the zero shifted drastically and could no longer be adjusted after the third drop. The DeltaPoint Pro window completely shattered and broke away from the optic on the second drop and zero shifted significantly when I finally found the dot on a small sliver of glass that remained in the bottom right corner of the window.

The best of all the optics we tested (the other department we partnered with tested several others and did so very thoroughly so no reason to redo what they did) was the Old cheap Holosun 407A which survived four drops (the first five foot drop landed just barely with the front sight prior to the optic so we did it again) and is now mounted on another test gun evaluating the durability of aftermarket stainless steel screws.

Our protocol is a drop from three feet directly on the optic, followed by zero confirmation and a “box test” (adjusting 20-30 clicks up, left, down, right to see if it returns to zero). This is then repeated with a four foot and then five foot drop if the optic survives. The test is not pass/fail and meant for comparison and information regarding performance.

So much better looking through the SRO/507/rmr than through an Acro/509T? I keep imagining the closed ones to be like looking through a tunnel. A square one anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    So much better looking through the SRO/507/rmr than through an Acro/509T? I keep imagining the closed ones to be like looking through a tunnel. A square one anyway.
    You need to figure out whether a closed emitter is important for your use, because SRO to a closed emitter is not an apples to apples comparison.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List