Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: M&P Core

I’m overthinking as usual. It’d just be ccw, range and hd. I’m a civilian and I hate maintenance lol.

Stopped in the gun store to look at one. Of course they were closing. They were out of Trijicon’s and the 509 but had a 507c X2. Fit and finish looked good. Looked at it for literally 5secs through the glass. No batteries installed so it was on solar power only. Circle dot looked blurry but I think it’s because I threw it up in front of me quick and handed it back.
    $320
    Last edited by newyork; 05-07-2021 at 05:12 PM.

I have a 507C X2 and I really like it. Like GJM said, you need to decide what your needs are and whether an enclosed emitter is for you. For shooting in competition, or even concealed carry, I’d say an enclosed emitter isn’t really “necessary”. It’s convenient for CCW...I carried my Glock 45 with a 509T for a while after I’d used my G19/RMR for a concealed carry class until I was un-lazy enough to clean it. As for maintaining an optic for CCW, I think the “exposed” emitters are fine and easy to deal with but the 509T warmed my lazy heart being able to just wipe the rear window and go.

On the range, the big window of the SRO is meaningless for marksmanship but comes into its own for fast shooting. The dot is much more likely to stay in the window or track consistently. I’ve heard a lot of people talk about how the dot should stay in the window or you have a bad grip. Ugh....h.....h.....

A bad grip is defined in my world as a gun that moves in the grip. There are better grips and great grips, but if the gun moves in your hands it’s a bad grip. So we need to not have a bad grip. Once that’s been done, then we can look at how much the dot moves. (There are lots of training theory and technique for grip and I won’t go into it here)

So now we have a good grip and as we shoot we see the dot do things. Maybe it rises and falls within the window. That’s awesome. Maybe it tracks straight up and down or up and to the left (very common), leaving the window. That’s totally cool too as long as it does it consistently. If it’s all over the place, not coming back consistently, or you can’t find it in recoil we have a big problem. That needs training or serious introspection and practice.

In my mind the advantage of the SRO is how much you see of the dot. People talk about RMRs and ACROs small windows for “finding” the dot. That’s JV stuff. It’s about seeing what the dot does as you shoot... tracking it... and being confident it will be and do what you want. The SRO gives you that like no other optic, and it helps you diagnose inconsistencies and it accounts for some inconsistencies.

So like I said before, the SRO helps you shoot as well as you can, and it can be a crutch (big window) or a learning tool (big window and diagnosing dot movement).

Then we go into the enclosed emitter thing. It took a while but I’m all about the enclosed emitter for duty use in law enforcement and potentially military (out of my lane). The ability to deal with being exposed in a duty holster (as opposed to CCW), different environmental conditions such as condensational fogging and exposure to water, debris, and that barbecue sauce that spilled from the Carl’s Junior #3, and I think the enclosed emitter is the future of serious law enforcement and military pistol optics.

As I said in the beginning of this post, I don’t think an enclosed emitter is “necessary” for CCW, and that makes what GJM said so true that comparing the SRO to enclosed emitters is apples and oranges until there’s an enclosed emitter SRO.

Look at the benefits and drawbacks of the various optics, coupled with your needs and skill, and I’m confident that what you choose will serve you well.

Thank you! Well written. To me it sounds like the SRO would make for a great 1st dot. Maybe the 507 if my budget can’t arrest him. I don’t get to shoot a lot. Only a couple thousand rounds a year as I work 6 days and have 2 small kids. Begs the question, should I dot at all with that being said?
    I have lots of dry fire time at night and some during the day.

Does the rmr tend to lose zero when the battery is changed?
    Last edited by newyork; 05-07-2021 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    This is the way.

You can do most of the learning on a dot in dry-fire. It’s a learning curve when you’re used to iron sights, but it’s doable and I think it’s a better way.

1. Focus on the target and not the dot. Let the dot be there but you are LOOKING at the target. Ignore the iron sights.
    2. Mistakes and failures are your best learning tools... but they are the devil if you let them become the consistency. Diagnose your failures/mistakes and then slow down and be deliberate to reduce them. Make perfect your consistency and never be satisfied with perfect. Fail often and learn from it.
    3. If you don’t find the dot (stealing from Brandon Wright of Wright Shooting and S&W) move the front sight in a consistent, known direction - UP... until you see it, and then bring it down... either the dot will come into view or you can align the iron sights.

In my experience it holds zero more often than not, but one must confirm it. I noticed when changing the battery on my G19 in late December that the after re-mounting the dot was slightly higher than where it was prior to the battery change and I had to put in a very small elevation adjustment. I’ve had a couple battery changes on an older type-1 RMR where it returned to zero perfectly (never should have sold that gun/optic).

I’m less concerned with the re-zeroing than I am with the potential for the mounted optic to come loose. This potential exists each time the optic is mounted so an optic that doesn’t require re-mounting to change batteries is a huge plus in my book.

A dot is not a budget friendly solution for basic defensive use. They cost money, require back-up guns with another dot, and take many rounds of live fire to do what you can do with iron sights with a fraction of those live fire rounds. However, they allow me to do things I can't do with iron sights, and also transform short sight radius slimline pistols into incredibly capable pistols.

I agree with SoCal that the SRO is certainly the best dot that crosses between defense and competition oriented shooting. For pure competition, I find the Sig Romeo 3 Max and XL to be top of the heap, for slimline pistols I prefer the 507K, and for EDC like the 508T/509T.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Thank you! Well written. To me it sounds like the SRO would make for a great 1st dot. Maybe the 507 if my budget can’t arrest him. I don’t get to shoot a lot. Only a couple thousand rounds a year as I work 6 days and have 2 small kids. Begs the question, should I dot at all with that being said?

I changed batteries 3 times in a RMR and the zero did not change.

I had problems with a 1st generation RMR and likely had it off 8-10 times and zero was always spot on.

Who is the go to Trijicon dealer?

Who is the go to Trijicon dealer?
    The SRO is basically unobtanium lately, so wherever you can find one is where you buy it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List