Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4048495051 LastLast

Thread: M&P Core

Think it had to do with how deep it had to be milled

Quote Originally Posted by hfrog355 View Post
    The only place I know of to find OEM S&W slides is Ed Brown (Currently on sale for $199, so think I'm gonna grab one just cause). Where are you sourcing slides?
    I bought 2 5” slides at speed shooter specialties for $165 ea, a 4.25” at Midwest Gun works for $140, and another at Midway for $200. I just kept an eye out and bought them when I saw them. Speed Shooters is out of business now I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Quantrill View Post
    I bought 2 5” slides at speed shooter specialties for $165 ea, a 4.25” at Midwest Gun works for $140, and another at Midway for $200. I just kept an eye out and bought them when I saw them. Speed Shooters is out of business now I think.
    Yeah, I was waiting for SS to restock some of their guide rods and I think the company folded.

Looks like everything is OOS now. Picking up an extra from EB makes sense given that they're not readily available.

Thanks

Semi-Necro Question

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    I have a 507C X2 and I really like it. Like GJM said, you need to decide what your needs are and whether an enclosed emitter is for you. For shooting in competition, or even concealed carry, I’d say an enclosed emitter isn’t really “necessary”. It’s convenient for CCW...I carried my Glock 45 with a 509T for a while after I’d used my G19/RMR for a concealed carry class until I was un-lazy enough to clean it. As for maintaining an optic for CCW, I think the “exposed” emitters are fine and easy to deal with but the 509T warmed my lazy heart being able to just wipe the rear window and go.

On the range, the big window of the SRO is meaningless for marksmanship but comes into its own for fast shooting. The dot is much more likely to stay in the window or track consistently. I’ve heard a lot of people talk about how the dot should stay in the window or you have a bad grip. Ugh....h.....h.....

A bad grip is defined in my world as a gun that moves in the grip. There are better grips and great grips, but if the gun moves in your hands it’s a bad grip. So we need to not have a bad grip. Once that’s been done, then we can look at how much the dot moves. (There are lots of training theory and technique for grip and I won’t go into it here)

So now we have a good grip and as we shoot we see the dot do things. Maybe it rises and falls within the window. That’s awesome. Maybe it tracks straight up and down or up and to the left (very common), leaving the window. That’s totally cool too as long as it does it consistently. If it’s all over the place, not coming back consistently, or you can’t find it in recoil we have a big problem. That needs training or serious introspection and practice.

In my mind the advantage of the SRO is how much you see of the dot. People talk about RMRs and ACROs small windows for “finding” the dot. That’s JV stuff. It’s about seeing what the dot does as you shoot... tracking it... and being confident it will be and do what you want. The SRO gives you that like no other optic, and it helps you diagnose inconsistencies and it accounts for some inconsistencies.

So like I said before, the SRO helps you shoot as well as you can, and it can be a crutch (big window) or a learning tool (big window and diagnosing dot movement).

Then we go into the enclosed emitter thing. It took a while but I’m all about the enclosed emitter for duty use in law enforcement and potentially military (out of my lane). The ability to deal with being exposed in a duty holster (as opposed to CCW), different environmental conditions such as condensational fogging and exposure to water, debris, and that barbecue sauce that spilled from the Carl’s Junior #3, and I think the enclosed emitter is the future of serious law enforcement and military pistol optics.

As I said in the beginning of this post, I don’t think an enclosed emitter is “necessary” for CCW, and that makes what GJM said so true that comparing the SRO to enclosed emitters is apples and oranges until there’s an enclosed emitter SRO.

Look at the benefits and drawbacks of the various optics, coupled with your needs and skill, and I’m confident that what you choose will serve you well.
    Does the presence of the ACCS-Vulcan reticle modify your opinion of a RDO for red dot novices?

Quote Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post
    Does the presence of the ACCS-Vulcan reticle modify your opinion of a RDO for red dot novices?
    Not really. The two people I know who have used them ended up turning the circle off after a little while. In the very minimal amount of shooting I did with one both the circle and the chevron reticle seemed distracting. Most people I know who go with the standard Holosun circle-dot (32MOA circle/2MOA dot) end up turning the circle off as well.

I like dots and I like the 8MOA 407CO ring (with corrected vision). I've also had good results with the Holosun circle-only reticle, especially to mitigate glare, but shooting one-handed it was way to busy in movement.

As to directly answering what you asked regarding novices, I think reticle training wheels may help in the beginning, but encourage a "visual" presentation rather than a kinesthetic presentation. I want my vision on the target/threat - not trying to find a reticle or a map to where the reticle is (the ACSS).

Thank you sir.

I am breaking into this genre of optics as a septuagenarian former military (RVN) and (long retired) 32 year LEO. I am familiar with rifle/carbine mounted RDO's, starting with the Armson OEG all the way to current products.

I recently acquired the S&W M&P 9 M2.0 Compact 13568 after using Glocks since about 1984-85. (1st Gen Austrians). I will probably go to a Holosun 507 variant, and the 99.9% use will be CCW.

I am thankful for the erudition and body of knowledge that you and others provide on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post

As to directly answering what you asked regarding novices, I think reticle training wheels may help in the beginning, but encourage a "visual" presentation rather than a kinesthetic presentation. I want my vision on the target/threat - not trying to find a reticle or a map to where the reticle is (the ACSS).
    This is 180 degrees from a press out, where you try to get the sights/dot into your vision as early as possible, and drive the dot to the target. You are advocating looking at a spot on the target, and using your index to present the pistol, at which point the dot appears on the spot on the target.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This is 180 degrees from a press out, where you try to get the sights/dot into your vision as early as possible, and drive the dot to the target. You are advocating looking at a spot on the target, and using your index to present the pistol, at which point the dot appears on the spot on the target.
    Absolutely. I know a lot of people advocate the press-out, but it's unnecessary with good technique and it encourages a gun/dot focus and not a target focus. It's not "horrible" or "wrong", but I'm not a fan.

You've described what I advocate probably better than I can.

It is readily apparent that both of you are emblematic of the development of this system that has gone from a potential to ubiquity in a about a 5 year time frame.

Thanks again for the subject matter expertise.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post
    Thank you sir.

I am breaking into this genre of optics as a septuagenarian former military (RVN) and (long retired) 32 year LEO. I am familiar with rifle/carbine mounted RDO's, starting with the Armson OEG all the way to current products.

I recently acquired the S&W M&P 9 M2.0 Compact 13568 after using Glocks since about 1984-85. (1st Gen Austrians). I will probably go to a Holosun 507 variant, and the 99.9% use will be CCW.

I am thankful for the erudition and body of knowledge that you and others provide on this forum.
    I am impressed when I have to look up at least three words in your last two posts. The 507 of whatever flavor you choose will serve you well.

User Tag List