Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yes, I want an EDC bag/backpack. Suggestions?

Yes, I want an EDC bag/backpack. Suggestions?

I'm looking for a "Tactical Dad" edc sling pack or backpack (preferably backpack). I need a decent amount of carrying space for camping, long hikes, baby and small child related paraphernalia, a 15.4 laptop, related accessories, changes of clothes, ammunition, first aid kits, etc. Obviously, not all at once. Contents will change depending on the time of week. During the work week, it will be laptop, clothes, spare ammo. During the weekend, the clothes and laptop will be jettisoned for more outdoors/kiddy related fare. I'd also prefer something with a hydration pouch.

Any suggestions.
    " One of the tribesmen in Thrace now delights in the shield I discarded /Unwillingly near a bush, for it was perfectly good /But at least I got myself safely out. Why should I care for that shield? / Let it go. Some other time I'll find another no worse. - Archilochus
    "To take the uninstructed to war is to throw them away" - Confucious

I have this: http://www.skdtac.com/Maxpedition-Si...-p/max.509.htm
    And it's absolutely fantastic.

I use it in much the same way you plan to use it. I also use it when I commute on my bike.

ETA: I just saw the 15" laptop bit, which won't fit in this model. Maxpedition has another, similar bag that is a size up.

ETA2: here it is: http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...nger-2p938.htm
    Last edited by JDM; 06-07-2012 at 06:28 PM.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

I like my Camelbak Urban Assault. Has several of the features you mention.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Maxpedition Monsoon.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    The Maxpediton Falcon II is a great edc bag. My only problem with them now is that it feels like Maxpedition has gotten a little out of hand with their pricing. 5.11 is also making some good looking backpacks now that are a little easier on the wallet than the Maxpediton stuff. My problem is that since buying my Falcon II almost ten years ago, I haven't had an excuse to buy another\new bag. The Condor is a little bigger, but I like the pocket layout of the Falcon better.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Maxpedition Monsoon.
    If my laptop will fit in it, that looks like a winner
    " One of the tribesmen in Thrace now delights in the shield I discarded /Unwillingly near a bush, for it was perfectly good /But at least I got myself safely out. Why should I care for that shield? / Let it go. Some other time I'll find another no worse. - Archilochus

Quote Originally Posted by codisimo View Post
    The Maxpediton Falcon II is a great edc bag. My only problem with them now is that it feels like Maxpedition has gotten a little out of hand with their pricing. 5.11 is also making some good looking backpacks now that are a little easier on the wallet than the Maxpediton stuff. My problem is that since buying my Falcon II almost ten years ago, I haven't had an excuse to buy another\new bag. The Condor is a little bigger, but I like the pocket layout of the Falcon better.
    The falcon II looks nice, but I'd probably spring for the Condor II, as it has more space.

Pricing is also not an issue. I'm a Fed, and I have the capability of ordering Maxpedition products through the GSA at a steep discount

Maxpedition bags are one of those items worth every penny in my book. You won't be disappointed.

Lots of YouTube videos by the hiking / mountain climbing community that break down the features of different models as well.

I found happiness in my 5.11 RUSH 24. Prior to that I had used a:
    - Maxpedition Kodiak gearslinger. I don't like the sling design when I have to carry any decent amount of weight.

- Spec Ops T.H.E. pack. Too big and not enough organization inside.

- TAD FAST Pack EDC. Über cool. Über well made. Also had insufficient internal organization.

The RUSH has lots of internal pockets, a great external admin pocket, two side pockets that fit either my Camelbak Eddy bottles OR the 27oz clean canteens. It's perfect for me. YMMV. If you're in NoVA you are more than welcome to test drive any of my aforementioned unused packs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    I'm comfortable sitting on the couch in my boxers fiddling with my balls, but I don't fight like that.

Goruck GR1. I've never owned a better bag. Integrated laptop sleeve. Three pockets. Minimal MOLLE. No crap on the straps. No waist belt. Quick delivery.

Really expensive, but I'm 99% confident this will be my last pack/bag for a very long time. 100% satisfied.

Using it as my business bag in Asia right now.

User Tag List