Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TFB sits down with SIG--YouTube Interview

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    @Tokarev this is is how you embed videos.

Attachment 58779

Attachment 58780

Attachment 58781
    Would I type "youtube" in brackets before and after or "video" if using Tapatalk?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yute View Post
    Interesting. I've always wondered if the German Vs US quality debate really was more of an internal vs external extractor design issue with the P22x.
    It's mostly ignorance. The stainless steel slides manufactured in the United States were an answer to the durability issues that the P228 experienced as issued weapons for the USSS. They liked the hottest 9mm ammo you could shoot and the stamped slide guns required constant armorer's attention with their ammunition and firing schedule.

Sig built a 9mm magnum for the USSS (.357 sig) and built the stainless steel one-piece slides as a way to cope with the round counts and pressures of the new round. The end result was a significant increase in durability and service life in the P229, P239 (replacement for the P225) and P226 pistols.

Unfortunately shortly thereafter Cohen took the helm and started outsourcing small parts manufacturing, reducing internal quality control procedures, etc. (Hence the plethora of issues Sig still has, but has learned the market doesn't care much about)

The pre-Cohen P229 and milled slide P226 rank as some of the most durable and reliable handguns ever manufactured. They routinely absorb six-digit round counts and keep running.

Most of the people I've seen discussing the German vs. American production don't understand the real history of what happened there.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Sig built a 9mm magnum for the USSS (.357 sig) and built the stainless steel one-piece slides as a way to cope with the round counts and pressures of the new round. The end result was a significant increase in durability and service life in the P229...as some of the most durable and reliable handguns ever manufactured. They routinely absorb six-digit round counts and keep running.
    The heavier slide wasn't a cure all.

Slide velocity was high enough on the 357 SIG guns that the slide would reach the end of its travel and then sort of cam up on the slide rails. Continued use with the 357 SIG (Speer Gold Dot 125 specifically) would eventually cause the rails to deform and even crack in some cases.

This was in 2002 timeframe. Whether SIG has since made changes to fix this I don't know.

Not interested in Sig stuff but looks to be lame topics of discussion.

Of course no hard questions or anything of that sort. Meh

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    ...The pre-Cohen P229 and milled slide P226 rank as some of the most durable and reliable handguns ever manufactured. They routinely absorb six-digit round counts and keep running...
    Is there any easy way to ID a pre-Cohen 229? I've always loved the size and feel of a 229, but I had no idea there was a really kick ass upgrade made for the USSS.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Is there any easy way to ID a pre-Cohen 229? I've always loved the size and feel of a 229, but I had no idea there was a really kick ass upgrade made for the USSS.
    Cohen joined the company in Dec 2004 as the COO, right?

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...5/m/7320040262

AM17XXX-2/04-.40 S&W DA/SA Nitron w/NS. Picked up by me like new 7/08
    AM33XXX-7/05-LEO weapon, Nitron, .40; DA/SA NS, 3 mags Purchased 07/06
    Anyone care to comment on how safe it is to assume a serial before one of those ranges is before Cohen had a chance to make his mark on the company?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Would I type "youtube" in brackets before and after or "video" if using Tapatalk?

Video. I recommend trying the PF mobile theme.
    #RESIST

I own let's say.... a "significant" number of Glock 19s with assorted holsters, magazines and other impedimentia. It would me thousands of dollars and hours of my life to change platforms. I've never considered doing it for another striker fired platform, but at times I've thought the switch to hammer fired guns might make the juice worth the squeeze.

I took a hard look at SIGs, and the thought of trying to track down enough guns in the post reliability improvement but pre-cohen "golden years" made my head hurt. I also didn't want to deal with potentially sending brand new ones back to get them working right, so I just let the idea die.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

A pistol caliber conversion for a rattler would be a nice extra.

Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by Ndbbm View Post
    A pistol caliber conversion for a rattler would be a nice extra.

Jason.
    A 6x35mm with the associated ammo to go with it. Which would drive KAC to release their PDW. Then I would be happy.

User Tag List