Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dillon Powder measure consistency

I empty my powder measure after every use, unless I'm going to be running another identical batch the following day or so. On a fresh fill, the Dillon "pogo stick" type measure requires several cycles to settle in. It's less involved if I'm using the same powder and the same charge weight as its previous use. Otherwise, it takes a bit to get it properly set up and dialed in, especially with flake type powders. I generally end up tapping on the powder reservoir gently for a minute or so with a plastic screwdriver handle when refilling an empty or nearly empty reservoir. If I don't, I know my weight settings will be erratic for awhile. After the powder is settled, my particular powder measure is good for about +/- 1/2 grain, depending upon powder choice. I don't use long stick powders like IMR4831 in my Dillon at all, those cartridges get loaded single-stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Taylor View Post
    Depends on the powder, some more consistent than others
    I will also offer that specifically for loading the very fluffy flake TrailBoss, I found I got more consistency by settling up the rifle powder measure at its low end than I ever could out of the pistol powder measure for the same charge weight on my 650. That was a tip offered by a fellow CAS competitor that turned out to be absolutely helpful.

Site Supporter
    Cleaning powder measure hopper with dryer sheets minimizes static electricity concerns. Running a wire from the measure's metal parts to a ground will help. A nail in the ground, or a metal water pipe is good. You can also hook the wire to an electrical ground wire in a plug. I use a nail in the ground. I use this trick that works for me. I put about 6 oz of lead shot in a thin nylon sock. Then I slide the sock down into the hopper where it forces the powder down onto the mechanism. With hard to measure flake powders, this technique reduces variation. It allows me to throw accurate charges. With ball powders I don't mess with the sock.

I feel very comfortable with the weight from my Dillon powder dispensers. I've achieved some excellent accuracy from both my 550s and my 650 after many hundred of thousands of rounds. Even rifle ammo is very consistent, enough for bench rest competition.

I leave the powder in the hopper and fill before I get 1/2 way through it. This helps keeping the same load. I have notices differences between a full hopper and one that is less than 1/4 filled that's why I keep an eye on it.

I do check my throws every few thousand round.

I recently went back to the Dillon measure for 9mm after using the Hornady for a while (it would have to be clean or potentially stick, even with my extra springs) and I have been using their Extra Small powder bar for 9mm and it seems to be pretty consistent with Clays, dunno if it actually better.

Lock-Out dies work great. Why stop and check weights when you can have a die do the job for you EVERY TIME? Also, always LOOK in each charged case.
    Keep powder out of sunlight/UV.
    Be sure the powder measure is labeled with what powder and charge it is throwing.

Quote Originally Posted by noylj View Post
    Lock-Out dies work great. Why stop and check weights when you can have a die do the job for you EVERY TIME? Also, always LOOK in each charged case.
    Because if you don't weigh it, you just don't know?

Quote Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
    I feel very comfortable with the weight from my Dillon powder dispensers. I've achieved some excellent accuracy from both my 550s and my 650 after many hundred of thousands of rounds. Even rifle ammo is very consistent, enough for bench rest competition.
    I assume that is 100 yard competition?

My issue is that I shoot at long range. I have a Dillon, Hornady, RCBS, and several Lee measures. My most consistent measure, a Lee Deluxe PPM, will throw 8208XBR within +/- .1 grains but once every 20-30 rounds it will throw a .2 which I will see when I am shooting at 600 yards and beyond. For ammo inside of 600 yards, the Dillon is good enough for 2 MOA steel targets.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List