Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal 10mm 200gr HST in Vyse Ballistics Gel.

Federal 10mm 200gr HST in Vyse Ballistics Gel.

Test Gun: Glock 20.
    Barrel length: 4.6 Inches.
    Ammunition: Federal 10mm 200gr HST.
    Test media: 10% Vyse Ballistics Gel.
    Distance: 10 feet.
    Chronograph: Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph G2.
    Five shot velocity average: 1078fps
    BB Calibration: 3.75inches

https://general-cartridge.com/2020/0...allistics-gel/
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Another fabulous test with great results 👍👍love seeing these tests ..

Your scenario was funny, but also spot on. That would make a great "town" load for folks who are toting a Glock 20 into the back country.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Your scenario was funny, but also spot on. That would make a great "town" load for folks who are toting a Glock 20 into the back country.
    Great test! Nice load - $31.99 for a box of 20 ....

My XDM10 is already good to go with Hornady 180 XTP so I'll stick with it .

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I am curious - is there a 10mm loading that can fill both roles - critter and goblin/turd/thug protection?

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I am curious - is there a 10mm loading that can fill both roles - critter and goblin/turd/thug protection?
    It would depend on the critter. My guess the Hornady 200XTP would be the best compromise.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    It would depend on the critter. My guess the Hornady 200XTP would be the best compromise.
    I agree. If I had to use only one round for both that would likely be it.

However I use a hand loaded, hard cast, Hi-Tek coated, Flat Nose 200gr bullet for knocking around in the boonies. Simple mag change from town to woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    It depends on the critter.

If I still carried a 10mm, and were in black bear and cougar country, I would use the 10mm 200 Grain HST load referenced above. It's more than adequete for cats and black bears, and will offer better performance through sheet metal and windshields than the XTP.

In brown bear/griz country I would want to use a 200 grain WFN hardcast load that never ran properly in my three Glock 20s. A second option would be a 180 grain hardcast that ran better but not perfectly in my three Glock 20s.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

In brown bear/griz country I would want to use a 200 grain WFN hardcast load that never ran properly in my three Glock 20s. A second option would be a 180 grain hardcast that ran better but not perfectly in my three Glock 20s.
    Name:  DSC1159-10mm-lbt-200gr-wfn-pb-e1543850505802.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  19.2 KB

I'm using this one made by Montana Bullet Works 200gr WFN-PB. It has worked great so far in my XDM10. I seated the bullet a little deeper as recomended on thier website. Here is the quote:

"From a customer–we couldn’t have said it any better: At first they wouldn’t feed in my glock 20 with KKM barrel. Additionally, the wide metplat rubs the side of the magazine when you stuff 12 or so in there at SAAMI length. After some experimentation, I found they function flawlessly at about 1.22-1.23” overall length. Of course this is slightly deeper than recommended for the 10mm, but working up from a starting load slowly gave me no issues. Brinn"

It depends on the critter.

If I still carried a 10mm, and were in black bear and cougar country, I would use the 10mm 200 Grain HST load referenced above. It's more than adequete for cats and black bears, and will offer better performance through sheet metal and windshields than the XTP.
    Those must be some exceptional cats and black bears if you have to shoot through sheet metal and windshields to stop them. J/K

In brown bear/griz country I would want to use a 200 grain WFN hardcast load that never ran in my three Glock 20s. A second option would be a 180 grain hardcast that ran better but not perfectly in my three Glock 20s.
    For large, dangerous predators motivated by territorial behaviors, I agree with your preference for high sectional-density hard-cast WFNs launched at the highest possible velocities.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

User Tag List