Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Odd Speer Gold Dot G2 & Hornady Flexlock Question

Site Supporter
    This thread is a good reminder to consider ammo a consumable.

As an EDC/CCW kind of guy, my best practice to to rotate my ammo on a yearly basi during the week of my birthday. RDS sight batteries get replaced that week as well.

If I was a professional gun carrier, I would be rotating my duty ammo on a quarterly basis even if it meant going into my own pocket.

Having said that, in many depts and at many ranges that serve in a regional capacity, if you are a shooter, the range staff will take care of you on a rotational basis that may exceed that agency wide policy/practice i.e. yearly ammo rotation during the annual qual/in service.

Finally, it is the custom/practice of many of my FED LEO partners who regularly work in rural areas to have "extra" ammo with them in the car for all manner of ad hoc training/instructional purposes and/or to have some the next time they go to an area when a need/want/desire becomes apparent.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Black coated Speer Gold Dot G2?

Whatever you bought, I'm confident it was not Speer Gold Dot G2.
    Here's a thread I started on arfcom that has some pics
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/1...530832/?page=2

Site Supporter
    That looks like federal punch, even their loaded ammo seems to have the plugs coming out and not always in the actual hole.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    That's interesting, but I wouldn't consider a one-off "experimental" round from some random reloader/bullet-puller chop shop to be representative of the actual mainline product that is identified as Speer Gold Dot G2 and readily purchasable as such. Logically, the coating (possibly...likely even applied by someone other than Speer) would change the adhesion of the polymer plug, and whatever they used for the plug isn't the same as the actual G2 plug anyway. It isn't smearable, it feels identical to dried hot glue and has a "dry" consistency that crumbles if you pick at it.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

That's interesting, but I wouldn't consider a one-off "experimental" round from some random reloader/bullet-puller chop shop to be representative of the actual mainline product that is identified as Speer Gold Dot G2 and readily purchasable as such. Logically, the coating (possibly...likely even applied by someone other than Speer) would change the adhesion of the polymer plug, and whatever they used for the plug isn't the same as the actual G2 plug anyway. It isn't smearable, it feels identical to dried hot glue and has a "dry" consistency that crumbles if you pick at it.
    I'm just passing on my experience with it.
    Name:  Screenshot_20220715-122343.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  14.8 KB

You're right about the consistency. I didn't mean to say it was like goo. What it looks like is that it melted or something then smeared on the outside of the bullet. It comes off just like hot glue would after drying.

Found a good pic of what I'm talking about
    Name:  ZnoXaNV~2.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  60.9 KB

The black coated G2 gold dots are pulls from the CBP contract.

Attachment 91550
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    The black coated G2 gold dots are pulls from the CBP contract.

Attachment 91550
    Gnarly, so it's "real" then. I didn't know you guys were using G2.

What's the purpose of the black coating? Any other differences from regular G2?

Have you observed any of the issues that 03RN saw? If so, is it a continuing thing, or something specific to a defect batch that was sold off as factory seconds, etc?

Gnarly, so it's "real" then. I didn't know you guys were using G2.

What's the purpose of the black coating? Any other differences from regular G2?

Have you observed any of the issues that 03RN saw? If so, is it a continuing thing, or something specific to a defect batch that was sold off as factory seconds, etc?
    The black coating is to it can be readily identified as duty ammo. Other than that they seem to be just regular G2. I have not heard of any problems with the round in the field.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    The black coating is to it can be readily identified as duty ammo.
    Smart. We shoot our quals using our duty loadout on our belt (no loading mags for strings of fire, you just "run it as you brung' it" model), and even still I've seen people every now and then with Hydrashok mixed in their mags. Spare mags they kept around for training, spare mags they threw back into some office bin partially loaded after a range day, go-bags, etc that slipped their mind and got rotated into their duty carry, that sort of thing.

User Tag List