Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Odd Speer Gold Dot G2 & Hornady Flexlock Question

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    What were the circumstances concerning the storage of these pulled bullets, and how they were pulled?

My agency uses Speer Gold Dot G2 in all climes and places. I've carried Speer Gold Dot on every continent except Australia, to include places where our temperature gauge pegged at 120* and couldn't read higher. We store this stuff in bulk at work, in go-bags with filled mags, and I've had about a thousand rounds stored at home since 2016 or so and I've yet to hear of/witness any plugs falling out at all, and especially being "smeared"...for anyone who's never handled Speer Gold Dot G2, the plug isn't even a smearable consistency.

On the very first batch they made plugs oversized and would stand proud from the cavity, and that resulted in some of the excess layer at the top of the plug getting chewed up if you were to load/download mags. We were advised that it wouldn't impact performance of the bullet as long as the rest of the plug was still in tact, and all subsequent batches rectified the plug standing proud. But, still, nothing approaching what you're describing.

@HCM, have you heard/seen anything like this? @TC215, you guys use G2 as well, right?
    My Agency tested G2 and decided to stick with standard 124 grain +P Gold Dot.

I’ve seen a few G2 rounds have the “goo” fall out at my TF Agency but it was not common. I’ve not seen any such issues with the Critical Duty. They’ve gone all in on Critical Duty, at least locally. They don’t authorize G2 for the G43/43X so it’s easier to “pure fleet” CD.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    My Agency tested G2 and decided to stick with standard 124 grain +P Gold Dot.
    Poors.

*laughs in bourgeoisie*

I’ve seen a few G2 rounds have the “goo” fall out at my TF Agency but it was not common. I’ve not seen any such issues with the Critical Duty. They’ve gone all in on Critical Duty, at least locally. They don’t authorize G2 for the G43/43X so it’s easier to “pure fleet” CD.
    That makes sense. I wish we authorized both just so I could candy-cane my mags on range days for the sole purpose of making some FI's head explode.

We all have our purpose in life.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Poors.

*laughs in bourgeoisie*

That makes sense. I wish we authorized both just so I could candy-cane my mags on range days for the sole purpose of making some FI's head explode.

We all have our purpose in life.
    My understanding is that agency wanted critical duty but had to write a generic requirement. Speer saw an opportunity and whipped up G2 to slide in and underbid.

That agency tends to always have two contracts /suppliers as a back up plan.

I can personally attest that both regular Morlock gold dot and HST kill people DRT.

Candy caneing your mags is nothing if they’re all 9 mm rounds. Candy cane 9 mm into your 40 Cal mags or vice versa. I’ve seen both.

Site Supporter
    Just a quick note here: the “coating” on those gold dots and the way it’s wearing looks like it is probably just a chemically induced oxidation of the copper jacket. So speer can just dip or spray the bullets during manufacturing, let the catalyst sit long enough for the copper to blacken and then rinse the bullets off with water and bam you got yourself some black bullets.

Liver of sulfer is what artists and artisans have used for a long time to darken bronze and copper.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liver_of_sulfur

However, a quick google search fo “chemically blackening copper” shows that there are newer/ more refined methods of accomplishing the same thing that might be preferable in large scale manufacturing.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 07-15-2022 at 08:09 PM.

What were the circumstances concerning the storage of these pulled bullets, and how they were pulled?

My agency uses Speer Gold Dot G2 in all climes and places. I've carried Speer Gold Dot on every continent except Australia, to include places where our temperature gauge pegged at 120* and couldn't read higher. We store this stuff in bulk at work, in go-bags with filled mags, and I've had about a thousand rounds stored at home since 2016 or so and I've yet to hear of/witness any plugs falling out at all, and especially being "smeared"...for anyone who's never handled Speer Gold Dot G2, the plug isn't even a smearable consistency.

On the very first batch they made plugs oversized and would stand proud from the cavity, and that resulted in some of the excess layer at the top of the plug getting chewed up if you were to load/download mags. We were advised that it wouldn't impact performance of the bullet as long as the rest of the plug was still in tact, and all subsequent batches rectified the plug standing proud. But, still, nothing approaching what you're describing.

@HCM, have you heard/seen anything like this? @TC215, you guys use G2 as well, right?
    I don’t recall seeing it, but my parent agency ditched G2 shortly before I started, and, like @HCM, the agency I’m assigned to primarily uses Critical Duty. I don’t think there’s even any G2 laying around the office anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Just a quick note here: the “coating” on those gold dots and the way it’s wearing looks like it is probably just a chemically induced oxidation
    Yeah, based on 03RN's pic with one bullet showing some expected copper jacket underneath after being pulled I'm getting Lubalox vibes.

On an unlreated note are those brass-colored primers? That generally denotes Winchester. Fed/Rem/CCI are still nickel.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Yeah, based on 03RN's pic with one bullet showing some expected copper jacket underneath after being pulled I'm getting Lubalox vibes.

On an unlreated note are those brass-colored primers? That generally denotes Winchester. Fed/Rem/CCI are still nickel.
    Yes they are brass colored.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    I don’t recall seeing it, but my parent agency ditched G2 shortly before I started, and, like @HCM, the agency I’m assigned to primarily uses Critical Duty. I don’t think there’s even any G2 laying around the office anymore.
    So, is Critical Duty gaining a respectable reputation in the field? I’ve noticed a few in this thread saying their agency uses it.

I’ve carried about half the 9mm rounds on DocGKRs list depending on what was available, but more decent options is always good.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    So, is Critical Duty gaining a respectable reputation in the field? I’ve noticed a few in this thread saying their agency uses it.

I’ve carried about half the 9mm rounds on DocGKRs list depending on what was available, but more decent options is always good.
    FBI, ATF and USMS are issuing it as well as some large PD’s in the DFW area. No complaints so far.

FBI, ATF and USMS are issuing it as well as some large PD’s in the DFW area. No complaints so far.
    Hmmm. So are we the only ones still using G2 in bulk, then? We don't authorize the Glock 43....just the 19 and 26, so I guess there isn't the same motivation to use Hornady CD.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List