Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vibra-Tite

Vibra-Tite

A few years ago, I used Vibra-Tite to install a plate, per recommended torque set by a Wheeler, and it came loose. I went back to blue loctite and have had few to no problems with things coming loose.

A month or so ago, I installed a V4 C&H plate on a Gen 5 17, used the supplied Vibra-Tite with torque set by a Wheeler (different Wheeler than used previously) to the specified value. I zeroed the pistol and put it aside as a back-up. I started shooting it a week ago, and have shoot it a thousand or two rounds.

Yesterday, my wife had a Romeo 3 Max come flying off a Legion, when both screws holding the optic to the plate sheared on the Springer plate. She had verified security of the plate and optic Friday, before heading to matches. (Springer is replacing the plate). That got me wiggling on my various plates, and I was surprised to find the C&H plate was slightly loose. When I pulled everything, all four screws were loose — the two securing the plate to the pistol and the two holding the optic. The Vibra-Tite had migrated high on each screw and was in chunks. I reapplied blue loctite and reinstalled the plate.

I am starting to question Vibra-Tite.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I use it for stuff with mild vibration, like my reloaders, not parts that take a beating. I didn't think it was supposed to be a Loctite replacement.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

I am starting to question Vibra-Tite.
    Not a statistically significant sample. Keep using it till it fails on 5-7 more pistols, then maybe.

I myself used it once, with the whole prep and cure time etc, the screws got loose, and that was the first and the last time I used it.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

In my experience, thread lockers require three steps to successfully survive in the application: 1) Choosing the proper thread locking compound for the application and materiel, 2) Preparing the surfaces of the threaded fasteners, and 3) Torquing and curing to spec.

I usually use the industrial side of the Henkel Loctite website and select a thread locker for the application. If I am lazy, I choose Loctite 294 as it works with oil and does not require disassembly to apply. Loctite 243 is a great choice when dealing with stainless or finished metal. Loctite Grd B is great for fine pitched fasteners but will cause stress cracking in plastics.

I normally use blue Loctite, after cleaning threads on screw, base, etc. with acetone or lacquer thinner. No issues. Recently put Vibra-Tite on adjustment screw (after same prep) of QR base for T2 on Rattler. Checking it after two range trips (and a fairly low round count), it had loosened enough that I could turn it easily with fingers (QR clamp held base on). Took it off, and with there was clearly resistance to finger-turning from Vibra-Tite, but it wasn't a solid hold.

N=1 on Vibra-Tite, but I have a fairly high sample size on Loctite, with zero issues. Jury still out . . .

Tony at JMCK packages it with his holsters, and the Vibra-Tite holds well on those retention screws. Maybe that's its ballpark: light stress tensioning.

Goddamnit.

Thus far I’ve had no issues with loose plates or screws using vc3

Until I read this I was happy.

Now I have to assume that I fucked it up somehow and it still worked.

So until I unmount, strip, re-apply thread locker, torque, paint and Rezero I’m going to be think about this

Goddamnit.

After 2-3 broken screws or loosening issues w blue Loctite I switched to VC3 last year. No problems since. I have about 4K rounds through my G34 w FCD plate and SRO with no issues. Just went and shook it after shooting a ten stage match Sunday, still tight.

What I find odd, is when I use blue loctite, and remove a screw I can see the residue of the loctite evenly distributed. With the Vibra Tite, it looks like rather than being evenly distributed, the Vibra Tite migrates up towards the head of the screw, leaving the lower threads appear untreated, and the material is in small chunks that are loose.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I’ve been using Loctite 243 on my RDS pistols and have had good luck with it.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I've had no luck with Vibratite the couple times I tried it. And I made sure everything was extremely cleaned/degreased.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I’ve been using Loctite 243 on my RDS pistols and have had good luck with it.

User Tag List