Thread: .45 ACP/230 RNL/BE-86 Chrono Data

Site Supporter

.45 ACP/230 RNL/BE-86 Chrono Data

I wanted to make up a hardball-equivalent load for my .45s, so I wanted a 230-grain RNL to go about 800 fps. I used three different guns here - my BarSto-barreled Colt Commander for the plunk test since it has the tightest chamber and throat, my Colt Gubmint Model with a GI NM barrel because I've had it since '83, and my 4" M&P 45 1.0 mid-size because it's my favorite .45 to carry. Of course I didn't do this on the same range trip so there are gaping holes in my methodology, but hey, you get what you pay for.

Alliant's max BE-86 load for the 230-grain RNL is 6.2 grains. My first SWAG was 5.7 grains and I ran it through the Commander and Gubmint Model. These were five-round strings at about ten feet using Brazos coated 230-grain RNLs, mixed brass and Federal 150 primers:

Commander: 760 fps/16 SD
    Gubmint: 788 fps/9 SD

If I were just using the 5" gun I would've called it good. I bumped it up .2 grains to 5.9 and tried it from the 4" M&P, using Federal brass of mixed vintage and Federal 150 primers:

812 fps/11 SD

I'm calling it good. When I get a chance to run it through the 1911s, I'll update this post.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I wanted to make up a hardball-equivalent load for my .45s, so I wanted a 230-grain RNL to go about 800 fps. I used three different guns here - my BarSto-barreled Colt Commander for the plunk test since it has the tightest chamber and throat, my Colt Gubmint Model with a GI NM barrel because I've had it since '83, and my 4" M&P 45 1.0 mid-size because it's my favorite .45 to carry. Of course I didn't do this on the same range trip so there are gaping holes in my methodology, but hey, you get what you pay for.

Alliant's max BE-86 load for the 230-grain RNL is 6.2 grains. My first SWAG was 5.7 grains and I ran it through the Commander and Gubmint Model. These were five-round strings at about ten feet using Brazos coated 230-grain RNLs, mixed brass and Federal 150 primers:

Commander: 760 fps/16 SD
    Gubmint: 788 fps/9 SD

If I were just using the 5" gun I would've called it good. I bumped it up .2 grains to 5.9 and tried it from the 4" M&P, using Federal brass of mixed vintage and Federal 150 primers:

812 fps/11 SD

I'm calling it good. When I get a chance to run it through the 1911s, I'll update this post.
    I loaded some RMR plated 230 grain ball projectiles with 6.3 grains of BE-86 a few years ago and averaged 890 FPS out of my old Kimber 5” 1911.
    Ejection was strong at about 5:00 into a neat pile.
    Want to try six grains and re-test but am saving my small stash of BE-86 for my .38 service equivalent practice loads.

User Tag List