Thread: Shooting Incident AARs

Shooting Incident AARs

I'm interested in starting a reference thread in which we have a good collection of detailed AARs of shooting incidents; as opposed to the normal news blurbs associated with these sorts of things. I think there is much to be learned from these reports.

For example: http://www.pointshooting.com/lakewood.pdf

The above is a 12 page AAR of the 2009 Lakewood, WA coffee house shooting of four police officers.

Please make sure you do not violate any OPSEC with your posts.

Tagged. I don't think you'll see much that reaches the standard that article sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    Tagged. I don't think you'll see much that reaches the standard that article sets.
    I was afraid of that, but figured it was worth a shot. I'll bump this thread once In a while to see what we can come up with.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

I would not mind doing some for local incidents (which I can read the reports of) but the good ones are far and few, unless you are looking for any general shooting involved situation, not required to be a gun battle.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I would not mind doing some for local incidents (which I can read the reports of) but the good ones are far and few, unless you are looking for any general shooting involved situation, not required to be a gun battle.
    That's exactly what I'm looking for. Granted North Hollywood shoot outs are much more exciting to read about, this thread would be pretty short if that's all we included. The 5 minute ground fight over an officers pistol which leads to an OIS is of serious value to people curious about the minutia of just how something turns into a deadly force incident.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

I think Claude, aka HeadHunter has done some research on this. You might want to ask him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    I think Claude, aka HeadHunter has done some research on this. You might want to ask him.
    I intend to. I have a couple things brewing now, and when I'm done laying those out, I will definitely be in touch with him.

I have a thought simply based on things I've learned on this forum over time. I'm not in law enforcement.

You have four cops in a place frequented by cops. They are accustomed to being there and nothing bad happening. You have a very bad guy who seemed clearly less than stable based on that article. He walks into this place fully intending to do what he did. It was not spontaneous.

I have to assume, based on what I've read on this site about pre-attack cues, that this guy had to be giving off some sort of signal, if not more than one, that he had some ugly plans. Is it possible that the officers involved were perhaps too comfortable in their surroundings, too comfortable in the idea that with 4 cop cars outside no one is going to try anything, that they let their guards too far down and didn't pick up on behavior that should have tipped them off that something was up?

User Tag List