Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Streamlight Polystinger or Stinger alternative

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    FYI, storing the light or spare battery on a charger is NOT desirable from a cell longevity standpoint (Li-ion cells are best stored partially depleted). Twenty years ago systems like the Stinger made sense for a light that must be ready for action 24/7 but with the high capacity cells now available, the entire keep-the-flashlight-on-a-charger gig is antiquated and only serves to shorten cell life. Add on top of that the proprietary cells and charger, there's no longer much (if any) advantage to these systems.

IMO, lights that take common 16 mm or 18 mm Li-ion cells and CR123 batteries offer greater power source flexibility and are available in a MUCH larger range of sizes, output, etc. IMO, your $$ is better spent on a couple of Polytac lights, a few 16650 Li-ion cells and a charger, and a box of CR123 batteries for back up.
    I don't know if the flashlight chargers are smart enough to do this but most cell phones are programmed to only take on ~90% of charge because that is as you've said that is the best way to store them. Apparently if you need to eek the most out of your battery you should pull it off the charger let it drain a bit then plug it back in and yank it when it hits 100% (If you leave your phone on the charger overnight the 100% battery number on your phone's screen is a lie.) I would like to think Streamlight is smart enough to do that as well but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    The new version called the Stinger 2020 looks pretty powerful

https://www.streamlight.com/products...x/stinger-2020
    Pretty good review on this.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    I don't know if the flashlight chargers are smart enough to do this but most cell phones are programmed to only take on ~90% of charge because that is as you've said that is the best way to store them. Apparently if you need to eek the most out of your battery you should pull it off the charger let it drain a bit then plug it back in and yank it when it hits 100% (If you leave your phone on the charger overnight the 100% battery number on your phone's screen is a lie.) I would like to think Streamlight is smart enough to do that as well but you never know.
    Topping off a cell phone as described doesn’t do anything. Max V as limited by the BMS doesn’t change. Whoever came up with it is playing games with relaxation curves and the state of charge algorithm in the phone BMS.

NH’s point is really well taken. Self discharge is really minimal with a LI flashlight. Charge them up and store them separately from the charger. If for nothing else than that if something fucks up and catches fire it normally happens when charge load is available.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Pretty good review on this.]
    Just broke down and got one. $139. Bright AF! The shape is odd and haven’t been able to find a suitable carrier for my duty rig yet. More to follow...

User Tag List