Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Streamlight Polystinger or Stinger alternative

Streamlight Polystinger or Stinger alternative

I've had one of these guys in and out of my shopping cart multiple times.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

I've been a fan of the Stinger line since I was selling them back in the last 90s, and they seem to have just gotten even better over time. The ability of this particular model to charge the light and a spare battery at the same time is appealing to me as a house and even an RV light.

Are there any alternatives on the market from other makers that I should be looking at? I don't need/want a pocket clip, prefer a charging mount rather than a charging plug (don't want to deal with USB in this application), and I want a sturdy mount not something held in place with magnets only.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I would look at Pelican for charging cradle compatible LED lights. I am a fan of bigger lights like the Stinger and SL-20, but the battery technology for them has never matured and unless you're using them a lot (like as a cop), the various nickel-based batteries generally don't so so well.

Site Supporter
    The new version called the Stinger 2020 looks pretty powerful

https://www.streamlight.com/products...x/stinger-2020

FYI, storing the light or spare battery on a charger is NOT desirable from a cell longevity standpoint (Li-ion cells are best stored partially depleted). Twenty years ago systems like the Stinger made sense for a light that must be ready for action 24/7 but with the high capacity cells now available, the entire keep-the-flashlight-on-a-charger gig is antiquated and only serves to shorten cell life. Add on top of that the proprietary cells and charger, there's no longer much (if any) advantage to these systems.

IMO, lights that take common 16 mm or 18 mm Li-ion cells and CR123 batteries offer greater power source flexibility and are available in a MUCH larger range of sizes, output, etc. IMO, your $$ is better spent on a couple of Polytac lights, a few 16650 Li-ion cells and a charger, and a box of CR123 batteries for back up.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    FYI, storing the light or spare battery on a charger is NOT desirable from a cell longevity standpoint (Li-ion cells are best stored partially depleted). Twenty years ago systems like the Stinger made sense for a light that must be ready for action 24/7 but with the high capacity cells now available, the entire keep-the-flashlight-on-a-charger gig is antiquated and only serves to shorten cell life. Add on top of that the proprietary cells and charger, there's no longer much (if any) advantage to these systems.
    FWIW my plan was to use it a little differently. Not so much keep it on the charger at all times, but having the charger as an easy cradle to drop it into when it was getting low seems convenient.

IMO, lights that take common 16 mm or 18 mm Li-ion cells and CR123 batteries offer greater power source flexibility and are available in a MUCH larger range of sizes, output, etc. IMO, your $$ is better spent on a couple of Polytac lights, a few 16650 Li-ion cells and a charger, and a box of CR123 batteries for back up.
    That’s not a bad point I suppose. What we have now is an old version of this (in the particular role I’m looking to replace) and I’m tired of finding it run down when I need it because the kids used it for... whatever the hell it is kids are always doing to kill flashlights. So the idea with the Stinger was to have a battery always ready when I find it dead, and to have a cradle to easily drop the thing into when it was getting low of it was low but not dead. I suppose I could just get two of these, leave one on charge, and just swap out when dead. https://www.streamlight.com/products...26-usb-battery

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    The new version called the Stinger 2020 looks pretty powerful

https://www.streamlight.com/products...x/stinger-2020
    That is very interesting. Looks like it uses two of the batteries I linked to above and can charge them in or out of the light. I really like the separate mode switch vs banging away at the button.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Streamlight makes two different chargers for the Stinger series.

The first is a dumb charger that just feeds a continual amount of electricity. It is black.

They also make a smart charger that meters flow based on battery need. Those are grey.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Nitecore R25 checks the boxes. Slightly larger than a Surefire 6P. Have had mine for 4 years. Use it daily. Was $99.95 when I bought it. Apparently still available - https://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/r25/

Still available at BladeHQ for $99.95.
    Last edited by LtDave; 08-12-2020 at 05:21 PM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    Nitecore R25 checks the boxes. Slightly larger than a Surefire 6P. Have had mine for 4 years. Use it daily. Was $99.95 when I bought it. Apparently still available - https://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/r25/

Still available at BladeHQ for $99.95.
    any idea if the tailcap is programmable? I'd prefer to probably just exlude the "turbo" altogether.

I believe so according to the web page. I just left mine as shipped.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

I won't be the only one using it so I'd like to just lock out the turbo altogether, or make it hard(er) to click to.

In fact, I wish more of these lights would let me set the "on" brightness to low or medium.

User Tag List