Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: NY Dems push for law mandating 500 hours of training for ‘shampoo assistants

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    It's already a hard car to find in good shape, but aim for an 01-02 model with the 3.0L M54 I6 and a manual trans, or just go all-in and find an 01-02 Z3M with the S54. Avoid 2000 and earlier Z3M's (neutered engine) and avoid the 4 cyl models and any with an auto trans, they're simply not worth the fuss of an old BMW.
    Earlier models with the smaller M52 I6's and a manual should serve well but are 40-50hp short of the M54 3.0L. IMHO, if you're going to fuss with an older BMW it might as well have over 200hp.
    Thanks. I know very little about those except I think they did a good job with the styling. Never owned a Beemer but there's plenty of them around Seattle.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    All cars from that era rusted like that, there were just a lot more made in America, so the survivors were greater in number. Although leaking water in the top and letting it sit in the floor pan, held there by carpet, may have made it a little worse. Would be too much of a derailment to detail how my Fiat coupe managed to still accomplish that.

Interestingly, the Wetside of WA has a lot of the same weather as England. There really isn't a nicer day anywhere in the world than a nice summer day in the PNW outside Seattle. It kinda makes the roadsters worth it. You can actually have a car without A/C there and be fine. My hypothesis is that a lot of the British hardware migrated up there from CA in the '80s and '90s as the first wave of economic migration got underway screwing up WA. People cashed out of houses they'd bought for $35k in the early '70s in SoCal and moved to WA. Bought mansions, Mercedes, started up new businesses. Real estate went insane. Cars came along for the ride. By the time I got to SoCal in the mid '90s, it was actually quite a bit harder to find a clean old British roadster. Which ultimately ended up being good, because I discovered Japanese sports cars.

I'm 6'4" and my '99 with a foamectomy was about an inch too small in several directions.

For the record, all three generations of MR2 will comfortably accommodate up to about 6'5". If I was looking for a 30+ year old sports car, an '87-89 MR2 would be on the list. The limit handling is night and day improved over the '85-86, much more fun and safer to drive fast. Steering and engines are sweeter than any Miata, shifter is great. Very well-made. Basically a Corolla. You'll get thumbs-up from weirdos like me if you drive around in a nice one.
    Where I live (about an hours drive north of Seattle) I see the MG car clubs on their fun runs in the summer. They break down a lot and I've seen them on the side of the road when they come out to play. Not unusual to see 30 or 40 together.

MR2 or Miata is probably a better bet but nothing looks like an MGB. The people that own them around here treat them like they do their 20K Harleys. Mostly they just polish the chrome and admire them for lack of a sunny warm day to ride. It's 68° and sunny here today.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    They break down a lot and I've seen them on the side of the road when they come out to play.
    That is precisely the phenomenon that begat 24 Hours of LeMons.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    That is precisely the phenomenon that begat 24 Hours of LeMons.
    That's a true test of men and machines.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    And women. Fast, cool, smart women.

-----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

"You can't handle shampoo!"
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

"You can't handle shampoo!"
    Colonel Blues, did you order the Cold Rinse?

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Colonel Blues, did you order the Cold Rinse?
    If I recall correctly, I ordered the redhead. Fog of war, I guess.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List