Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NY Dems push for law mandating 500 hours of training for ‘shampoo assistants

NY Dems push for law mandating 500 hours of training for ‘shampoo assistants

https://nypost.com/2020/08/08/ny-dem...oo-assistants/

A new bill moving through the State Assembly and Senate will require “shampoo assistants” working in hair salons to complete a minimum of 500 hours of a 1,000-hour course in cosmetology. The completion of 500 hours will entitle applicants to a newly established “Shampoo Assistant Certificate.”

The legislation is sponsored in the Assembly by Carrie Woerner of Saratoga Springs and John T. McDonald III of Albany. A companion Senate bill was introduced by Sen. Jen Metzger of Middletown.

There is currently no entry for “shampoo assistant” in the state’s division of licensing services manual. Outside watchdog groups told The Post the proposal was a ridiculous new regulation that would make it harder for some people to find work even as the state faces historic unemployment.
    #RESIST

From APOA's website:

To obtain a commercial certificate in an airplane under FAR Part 61 rules a pilot must have:

- 250 hours of flight time, 100 hours of which must be in powered aircraft, and 50 must be in airplanes.
    - 100 hours of pilot-in-command time, 50 of which must be in airplanes.
    - 50 hours of cross-country time, 10 of which must be in an airplane.
    - 20 hours of training, including 10 of instrument, 10 of complex or TAA, and a smattering of cross-country and practical test preparation.
    - 10 hours of solo training, including a smattering of cross-country and night.
    I guess washing hair is more technical and fraught with danger than becoming a commercial pilot.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    From APOA's website:

I guess washing hair is more technical and fraught with danger than becoming a commercial pilot.
    Dealing with the finer intricacies of shampoo is a slippery slope.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Uh, I was going to comment, but I’ve decided to wash my hands of this whole thread.

I want to know what in the Sam Hell happened that prompted this as a response
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Site Supporter
    Name:  301zb9.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  72.6 KB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I suppose if people don't think it's worth it to take half of a cosmetology course just to shampoo peoples' hair, then only full licensed cosmetologists will be working in salons.

Cosmetologists' union seek rent much?
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 08-10-2020 at 02:30 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I want to know what in the Sam Hell happened that prompted this as a response
    Probably nothing. Some folks don't need a reason to get all lathered up.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    If I had to guess, this falls under the “leave no stone unturned” policy when looking for tax revenue... It’s my understanding that a lot of businesses are leaving, not only leaving NYC, but NYS altogether.. It’s not going to be long before panhandlers on the street will need to take a class in order to properly panhandle, and of course, the state will want their cut.. But, dumb shit like this is what happens when a couple of large metropolitan areas out vote the rest of the state...
    Last edited by ralph; 08-10-2020 at 02:35 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If what you're doing is having consequences other than those you intended, it must be because you're not doing it enough.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List