Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BS at work

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    We opted for remote learning this year, vs straight up homeschooling. I personally know some of his teachers outside of school, and they're not really pleased with remote learning...but they're not really pleased with cramming kids back into class either. All I can say is keep up the good work. As much as I bitch about taxes and unions, the teachers themselves seem to really care about the kids. It's a gift...that I don't have. So just know that we appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Whether ironic or not, I find it interesting the state teachers union is suing the state to not open schools due to Corona Virus safety concerns, yet practically none of the teachers in this particular school were interested in the potential added safety of teaching on-line.
    we've been seeing that locally as well.

I can only assume they simply want to get paid not to work. (which is different than "they don't want to work")

If I was a professional teacher and not 2-3 years from my pension my butthole would be puckered up water-tight right now. A LOT of people are looking at alternative means of education. Also, a lot more people are seeing firsthand just how much time in a school day is wasted and just how little material actually gets communicated as well as the fact that in government school (and most private schools) the learning goes at a pace and fuck the kids of they either get bored or can't keep up. If that continues for long it's only a matter of time before some of us start a "defund the schools" movement.

I come from a family of teachers, and frankly my dream job (outside of it involving modern academia) would be college prof, but government schooling is rife with people that maybe got into it for the right reasons, and maybe do really "care about the kids" but have gotten their heads pretty twisted up relative to the real world. I'd hate to be a 35 year old teacher right now with no job experience to date other than 13 years of teaching and miles to go before my pension.

My hope is that what we eventually see is a ton of education reform. I firmly believe most of the unrest and "inequality" we see right now is fueled almost entirely by a lack of basic education. I'd like to see that change. We can't afford for it not to.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    We opted for remote learning this year, vs straight up homeschooling.
    We sort of did too, but not through our local school district. Florida has a "Virtual School" that's existed pre-covid that we've enrolled the kids in. The teachers there are used to this manner of learning, it's far more self-paced than any classroom full of paste-eaters, and they actually know how to turn on a computer, communicate with the kids via that medium, etc. We've been at it a week and I can already see my girls doing this as long as practical. The fact that it also de-couples us from the government-mandated holidays and days off is a big, big bonus for us. We're already planning our big family trips in October and April since if this doesn't work out and the kids go back to box school we won't be able to travel at those times of the year for another decade or so.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Here’s another voice to offer a “thank you” for what you contribute to society. I come from three generations of teachers, and highly value and respect those who spend their time and energy teaching our children.
    If the situation in the district warrants only teaching remotely, that’s a valid need. But having you teach two grades simultaneously remotely is bullshit, unless there is additional compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Appreciate the responses guys. Big deal is I am not only teaching 4th, i am also teaching 5th. All of my students (over 25 now) are the ones who's parents chose non contact instruction. This doubles the workload for those of us assigned to do this. This means teaching two grades, planning for two different classes, and grading two sets of assignments. All of us have brought up the workload and how it is double of our peers who are doing just their grade level and class. District acknowledged the increased work load but are not offering extra money for the extra work. That is where a lot of us who got voluntold to do this are upset.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Appreciate the responses guys. Big deal is I am not only teaching 4th, i am also teaching 5th. All of my students (over 25 now) are the ones who's parents chose non contact instruction. This doubles the workload for those of us assigned to do this. This means teaching two grades, planning for two different classes, and grading two sets of assignments. All of us have brought up the workload and how it is double of our peers who are doing just their grade level and class. District acknowledged the increased work load but are not offering extra money for the extra work. That is where a lot of us who got voluntold to do this are upset.
    So after reading this I’m going to revise my previous statement a bit. I still think it was a bad decision to ask you to do this without talking to you first. That being said it sounds to me like you were asked to do this because your building admin had the confidence in you to pull this off. Having multiple preps is tough but not impossible. Add remote instruction to the mix and the difficulty goes up exponentially. I gotta believe that your administration trusts you to have the professional skill, technological skill, and work ethic to pull this off. Not to mention the ability to build those relationships with your students that they really need right now.

I would take this assignment as a compliment.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I wouldn't call this a stab in the back, school administrators are dealing with a lot of crazy shit nowadays and I don't think many of them are equipped mentally, financially (budget), nor logistically to handle it. Lots of change afoot.
    #RESIST

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    It’s little solace but I often get the shit assignments as I am the least likely to fuck it up and it will end completed and a good product.
    In USN-speak: Another opportunity to excel.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    .. it's far more self-paced than any classroom full of paste-eaters...
    You're absolutely right about the amount of wasted time in a modern classroom. My Mother, who was a career English teacher/School Librarian that retired a few years ago, and my Sister who's in her 7th year of teaching tell everyone the same thing: Discipline issues and new 'inclusion' rules are completely destroying effective classroom time.

Schools have very little ability to truly discipline or expel problem students. Routinely, these problem students have 'other stuff' going on from genuine special needs (much less common) or totally shitty parents that empower and enable their constant disruption of class/behavior issues/fighting students (much more common). But that problem student cycle is the same thing - send them to the office, the Principal flops and genuflects to the parents, the parents chew on the teacher, kid acts the fuck up the next day, etc. Lather, rinse, repeat for a whole school year. Seeing those little assholes get all the spotlight time for acting up inspires other kids to act up. It's a vicious cycle.
    I honestly have no idea how my sister gets through 7 class periods a day, let alone an entire instructional year, without straight-up slapping some of these kids in the face.

To compound this problem, many schools are doing this new 'classroom inclusion' insanity which basically stuffs slow-learning special needs kids into every regular classroom and 'gifted' classes simply don't exist anymore. This means every single teacher has to dumb-down their curriculum that much further down the bell curve. Then we wonder why so many high school graduates with 3.5 GPA's need remedial math and science classes to even effectively begin a B.S. program at state universities.

Bottom line is that every teacher I currently know in the field, my sister included, absolutely loves teaching and wants to teach more than anything. Your characterization of teachers wanting to get paid without working due to COVID is very unfair and absolutely not the reality of the situation.
    Yes, some teachers have tech headspace issues and yes many teachers don't want to go back to a regular classroom yet - but having misgivings with their district's support and plan for accommodating these changes is absolutely not the same as being unwilling to work.
    Crude simile; As a Soldier I am absolutely willing to fight - but I won't stand in an open guard tower if the Army refuses to give me a rifle and body armor. Teachers have a right to expect intelligent, thought-out and effective support from their districts and school principals to solve these problems.
    Ultimately, For decades principals and district leadership nationwide have been unconsciously depending on individual teachers to solve countless problems at the classroom level. Now that the COVID situation made problems that *must* be solved at the leadership level, that leadership is lost in the sauce.

Yet the world looks at the teachers and blames the teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    You're absolutely right about the amount of wasted time in a modern classroom. My Mother, who was a career English teacher/School Librarian that retired a few years ago, and my Sister who's in her 7th year of teaching tell everyone the same thing: Discipline issues and new 'inclusion' rules are completely destroying effective classroom time.

[more good stuff removed]
    My wife the kindergarten teacher would agree 1000 percent with you, especially about the discipline problems. Last night we were comparing the hands-off, no consequences, don't punish the poor-oppressed-kids approach recently taken to the rioters to the hands-off, no-consequences, don't punish the poor-oppressed-kids approach taken to discipline in her school.

My wife is a fabulous teacher, and loves the kids she teaches. She chooses to teach in a very poor school and loves the kids. I could not do her job. When I visit her, I'm tired after 15 minutes and after 20 minutes I'm ready to tase the brats. But she often feels like cops feel now - that she has to take whatever abuse the kids dish out, and that the administration is ready to throw her under a bus for the slightest thing.

This morning I calculated the number of work days she has left until retirement - 588.

My kid’s “gifted” class seemed odd to us. Turns out, someone decided that they should put the slowest kids in with the fastest kids because they thought it would elevate the slow kids. In fact, all it did was harm both.

We never even got to the bottom of who was to blame. The teacher got a real shit attitude because of it and really started losing it with the kids, which prompted my wife to ask her what was going on (my older daughter had this same teacher a few years before so we knew this was out of character). Teacher blames the principal. Principal says it came from district/superintendent. Can’t get anyone there to own up to it.

User Tag List