Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BS at work

Site Supporter
    It’s little solace but I often get the shit assignments as I am the least likely to fuck it up and it will end completed and a good product.

This COVID19 ....

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    more of a venting type of post. So I have been teaching 4th grade at the same school for two years. This will be my third year at the school. Given COVID, we are starting hybrid (some days in class and some days at home on a chromebook). I was sold this as a reason to come back to the school and not pursue a different career as I hated teaching online. Well I just found out on Saturday out of the 6 teachers in 4th and 5th, I will be teaching online potentionally all year. I have a good relationship with my boss but this decision seems like a stab in the back and goes against the promises i was made prior to the school year starting. At this point I am pretty much locked into doing this since I have two kids and am a single dad.

Sorry just had to vent and am seriously pissed off at work.
    Hang in there, buddy. As Suvorov noted, we need people like you in the game.

I think I get where you are coming from: I hated the obstacles involved with teaching online. Due to the atypical nature of my work, I’m dealing with 3 schools, all with 3 slightly different plans. It’s chaos. That said, I don’t think this is going to be a “new normal,” too many people strongly prefer FTF instruction to make any sort of permanent online shift viable. This year may be a drag, but it will get better down the road.

Are your kids going to be doing online from home, as well?

One more thing: I don’t know what your class situation is, but if a synchronous guest clinician would help in any way to add some variety for the students, and cut you a little load slack on a Friday or something, let me know. I have a reasonably good track record doing hybrid performance/Q&A music outreach in regional schools. It’s something I enjoy doing for personal reasons. It might be doable in an online format; I’ll be finding out for sure pretty soon on my end. FWIW.

more of a venting type of post. So I have been teaching 4th grade at the same school for two years. This will be my third year at the school. Given COVID, we are starting hybrid (some days in class and some days at home on a chromebook). I was sold this as a reason to come back to the school and not pursue a different career as I hated teaching online. Well I just found out on Saturday out of the 6 teachers in 4th and 5th, I will be teaching online potentionally all year. I have a good relationship with my boss but this decision seems like a stab in the back and goes against the promises i was made prior to the school year starting. At this point I am pretty much locked into doing this since I have two kids and am a single dad.

Sorry just had to vent and am seriously pissed off at work.
    This sucks that they didn’t discuss this with you first. Sounds like poor leadership to me.

Education at all levels is a Covid induced shit show right now. My only hope is that public education will be a better product when the dust settles. But I’ve been disappointed before.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    It’s little solace but I often get the shit assignments as I am the least likely to fuck it up and it will end completed and a good product.
    When I was a supervisor, I was always careful not to punish my best employees by giving them all the hard assignments. I also didn't want to reward my slackers by not giving them their share of crap work. Sometimes it made it harder for me because I'd have to spend extra effort with the low performers, but it was the right thing to do.

Appreciate the responses guys. Big deal is I am not only teaching 4th, i am also teaching 5th. All of my students (over 25 now) are the ones who's parents chose non contact instruction. This doubles the workload for those of us assigned to do this. This means teaching two grades, planning for two different classes, and grading two sets of assignments. All of us have brought up the workload and how it is double of our peers who are doing just their grade level and class. District acknowledged the increased work load but are not offering extra money for the extra work. That is where a lot of us who got voluntold to do this are upset.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I was sold this as a reason to come back to the school and not pursue a different career as I hated teaching online. Well I just found out on Saturday out of the 6 teachers in 4th and 5th, I will be teaching online potentionally all year. I have a good relationship with my boss but this decision seems like a stab in the back and goes against the promises i was made prior to the school year starting.
    I get the impression teachers at all levels are seriously considering a career change right now - it's crossed my mind some number of times. I have to remind myself that this particular craziness is finite and will draw to a conclusion one way or another.

I also force myself to consider the angle of, "This sucks, but at least I'm doing it." I'm confident I can deliver a course online that is worth students' time. Some of my colleagues... don't get me started.

Hang in there.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    You are truly doing one of the most difficult and underappreciated jobs in the entire country at this point - hang in there!

My sister is in her 7th year teaching 6th grade math at a Title I school, and despite how much she genuinely loves teaching and loves making a difference with those kids - the admin issues and absolutely insane issues generated by the state PED have her strongly considering a change of career. Basically anyone that can retire out of our district has, and some predictions of the teacher shortage over the next 5 years are showing less than half the teachers total required district wide.

So, despite all the BS, my hat's off to you, Breakingtime91. What you're doing matters now more than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post

This COVID19 ....
    I'm fairly certain that tendency started in armies millennia ago. I explain it as 'There's nothing more thoroughly punished than competency'.

Sandbagging shitbirds with mediocre product will get the easy stuff, the guys who really kick ass get saddled with the bulk of everything including the hard stuff. Never changes.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Don't get me started about work!!

The following is the last part of an email I received from my CEO. (These were all hotlinks.)
    For fuck's sake.

On the off-chance that anyone here has ever wondered why I have such an ongoing hard-on for dressing down administration wherever they might be, this thread is one reason.

The double load/no compensation thing is bogus.

breakingtime91, I'm rooting for you, and for it to work out well. It does seem like you should get some consideration for teaching two grades, and extra students. It's possible that gets worked out as the year goes on.

I don't know if you folks have seen FOX reporting today on 360 degree cameras used in the Florida schools. I don't know if your districts are using that technology, but my daughter will do her on-line teaching from the classroom. It seems like it should be a big improvement over the teaching from the laptop at home.

User Tag List