Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BS at work

BS at work

more of a venting type of post. So I have been teaching 4th grade at the same school for two years. This will be my third year at the school. Given COVID, we are starting hybrid (some days in class and some days at home on a chromebook). I was sold this as a reason to come back to the school and not pursue a different career as I hated teaching online. Well I just found out on Saturday out of the 6 teachers in 4th and 5th, I will be teaching online potentionally all year. I have a good relationship with my boss but this decision seems like a stab in the back and goes against the promises i was made prior to the school year starting. At this point I am pretty much locked into doing this since I have two kids and am a single dad.

Sorry just had to vent and am seriously pissed off at work.

My wife and daughter teach at the same elementary school.

My daughter will teach on-line all year. My wife will be in the classroom.

The principal asked for volunteers to teach on-line, but nobody volunteered, so she picked who would do on-line teaching.

Whether ironic or not, I find it interesting the state teachers union is suing the state to not open schools due to Corona Virus safety concerns, yet practically none of the teachers in this particular school were interested in the potential added safety of teaching on-line.

My wife is a teacher. She did not want to come into the classroom, nor did most of her co-workers. A couple of weeks ago the county made the decision that all teaching will be done online initially. We are going to make a little classroom for her here at home.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    more of a venting type of post. So I have been teaching 4th grade at the same school for two years. This will be my third year at the school. Given COVID, we are starting hybrid (some days in class and some days at home on a chromebook). I was sold this as a reason to come back to the school and not pursue a different career as I hated teaching online. Well I just found out on Saturday out of the 6 teachers in 4th and 5th, I will be teaching online potentionally all year. I have a good relationship with my boss but this decision seems like a stab in the back and goes against the promises i was made prior to the school year starting. At this point I am pretty much locked into doing this since I have two kids and am a single dad.

Sorry just had to vent and am seriously pissed off at work.
    I am sorry they did this to you and can only imagine how difficult it is to teach online. As a dad of a 2nd and 4th grader I will say this to you - people like you are SO SO needed in elementary school. If you think that your service to this nation was important during the GWOT you have no idea how important your service to the community is now that you have the ability to directly influence young people's minds.

Because I can only like @Suvorov's post once.

@breakingtime91 you are one of the good guys. I can't second Suvorov's comment more strongly.

Try to communicate with your school leadership about your desires, but know in any case that you are doing your own, and the children of others a world of good.
    Last edited by blues; 08-10-2020 at 09:56 AM. Reason: fixed mention
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Don't get me started about work!!

The following is the last part of an email I received from my CEO. (These were all hotlinks.)

Remember, if you personally donate $25 or more to a qualifying 501c3 organization, the X-redacted-X will match your donation.

Several National Charitable Organizations:

Black Lives Matter

Black Girls Code

Color of Change (Act Blue)

Know Your Rights (EIF)

NAACP

NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund

National Museum of African American History & Culture

National Urban League

Thurgood Marshall College Fund

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post

The following is the last part of an email I received from my CEO. (These were all hotlinks.)
    Where's the NRA and FPC on that list?

To those of you teaching online: my grandson had pretty good success with online because he could replay parts of the video to get understanding where he was too shy to ask questions in class if he didn't get something the first time.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    My wife is a teacher. She did not want to come into the classroom, nor did most of her co-workers. A couple of weeks ago the county made the decision that all teaching will be done online initially. We are going to make a little classroom for her here at home.
    I have two daughters in public school. One will be a senior, the other in 7th grade. I was happy to see my local schools go for online instruction to start with. Thing 1 doesn't yet know how chorus will work and Thing 2 doesn't know about orchestra (she plays violin).

I'm just hoping my broadband can cope. I work from home full time and do a lot of VOIP and video calls each day. Having three video conferences going at once could be problematic.

Thing 1 wants to be a teacher. I have repeatedly advised her to learn from these experiences and seek out classes that will prepare her for remote instruction as that will never go away completely. I recently learned an acquaintance of my wife has been a remote teacher for elementary students for years. I think having a solid strategy and background in that area will put a "regular" teaching candidate above the rest.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post

Or March of Dimes, American Red Cross, Wounded Warriors....

User Tag List