Thread: Beretta 92A1 Dead Trigger

Beretta 92A1 Dead Trigger

Greetings,

I've been getting back into practicing handgun, including lots of dry fire. I've been dry firing the snot out of my 92A1 with steel trigger, G10 grips and D spring quite a bit lately. I noticed a couple of nights ago, after a double action pull on a snap cap, the next trigger press is not engaging pulling back the hammer. Just as pressure is applied to the DA trigger, feels like it's trying to catch/connect, but then pulls free, and then feels like the safety is on with no resistance on the trigger pull. If I flick the trigger enough, it will catch. Also, sporadically, it will catch on the half cock notch after the hammer releases. When this happens, it looks like the hammer isn't being pulled back far enough during the trigger press.

Tried lubing the trigger components, and it helped, but didn't resolve the issue.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by rauchman; 08-09-2020 at 06:30 PM.

Trigger bar spring is out of place

Name:  CB7E8333-038D-4D50-B9C9-7FEA5F0987A0.jpg
Views: 1728
Size:  32.6 KB

Thank you!

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Trigger bar spring is out of place

Name:  CB7E8333-038D-4D50-B9C9-7FEA5F0987A0.jpg
Views: 1728
Size:  32.6 KB
    What he said!

Do you take the grips off when cleaning?

When I got to my unit I was assigned to be the Company XO of, part of my duties was a monthly sensitive items inspection. This included the pistols. On my first inspection I noted that 5 or 6 of our M9s had been deadlined due to dead triggers. When I asked the supply NCO about it he said something about the M9 being a POS and that he needed to send them up to Division to be fixed. Knowing something about the M9 I told him it was a simple spring and that I could fix them myself. He protested that they "had to be fixed by qualified armorers" but I ordered new springs from Brownells with my own money and the next month fixed all the broken guns. Later after weapons qual I noticed a bunch of soldiers taking the grip panels off during cleaning and then running a rag through the mag well (Got to make those pistols squeaky clean you know). Well one of them managed to loose a trigger bar spring in the process and the reason for all those dead M9s was quickly deduced. I asked one of the Sergeants to show me where in the -10 manual (owners manual for soldier) it said to remove the grip panels and of course it wasn't there. These were the older pistols with the slotted screws and if you give a soldier a screw driver (which they all have on their geek tools), they will unscrew something. My hunch is that that is why the later M9s came with Allen headed grip screws.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 08-11-2020 at 09:55 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    What he said!

Do you take the grips off when cleaning?

When I got to my unit I was assigned to be the Company XO of, part of my duties was a monthly sensitive items inspection. This included the pistols. On my first inspection I noted that 5 or 6 of our M9s had been deadlined due to dead triggers. When I asked the supply NCO about it he said something about the M9 being a POS and that he needed to send them up to Division to be fixed. Knowing something about the M9 I told him it was a simple spring and that I could fix them myself. He protested that they "had to be fixed by qualified armorers" but I ordered new springs from Brownells with my own money and the next month fixed all the broken guns. Later after weapons qual I noticed a bunch of soldiers taking the grip panels off during cleaning and then running a rag through the mag well (Got to make those pistols squeaky clean you know). Well one of them managed to loose a trigger bar spring in the process and the reason for all those dead M9s was quickly deduced. I asked one of the Sergeants to show me where in the -10 manual (owners manual for soldier) it said to remove the grip panels and of course it wasn't there. These were the older pistols with the slotted screws and if you give a soldier a screw driver (which they all have on their geek tools), they will unscrew something. My hunch is that that is why the later M9s came with Allen headed grip screws.
    As an NCO that was an instructor of -10 level tasks on the M9 fairly recently, your deduction on the Allen-head screws is 100% correct.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    As an NCO that was an instructor of -10 level tasks on the M9 fairly recently, your deduction on the Allen-head screws is 100% correct.
    The biggest challenge in keeping our guns running is keeping Airman Snuffy from doing things he's not supposed to do

User Tag List