Thread: Support thumb to release magazine

Support thumb to release magazine

Note: This is for a right handed shooter with a traditional (magazine release button on left side of frame) pistol
    I recently saw a technique where you use the support side thumb to release the magazine during reloads.
    Some of the benefits stated were: "master grip" retention, more positive magazine release for people with smaller hands.
    What are general thoughts on this?
    I usually use my strong hand thumb, but given my smaller hands I flip the gun a little inboard. This is primarily with Glocks / 1911.

Never officially taught at the various shooting schools that I’ve been through, but certainly not a deal killer in running your semi-auto pistol. I’ve seen a couple of people on the line do their mag drops that way on the line, but it might slow you up by half a second. Usually because of short fingers/large service pistol interface. You gotta do what you gotta do (as long as it is safe).

My wife uses this method with the 320 Legion, so she doesn’t have to shift her grip.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caAC4c9EdLM

Can skip to about 0:45 and then 1:45. I've seen them do it in person and it is impressive, as are most things those two do with a gun. But hardly convincing that an average, or even below average, size man should be doing this. Can't say anything about ladies.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I would say this is one of those things where it only makes sense for certain hand sizes. If your hands are small enough that you can't consistently hit the mag release with a small flip of the gun, then this might be the best way to do it. Obviously some people can do smoking fast reloads like this, but it seems to me that if you have average male sized hands, with an equal amount of practice, you'll be faster and more consistent with a normal reload technique. Every once in a while I see people doing this at matches and I'll usually see them come into a shooting position finishing up a late reload at least once per match.

Site Supporter
    Bill Blowers goes over reloads methods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMcc9OmjmWQ
    "There are two ways to do most anything- right and again."

A week or so ago I taught a Court Officer Basic pistol course. A couple of the shooters had such short thumbs that I ended up recommending they go with this method. Reload became much more smooth and consistent.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I think that is a great technique. Besides the ability to reach the button w/ the strong hand thumb there is also the question of how much effort is needed to push it. Any shortcomings w/ either needed reach, or needed effort, can be completely overcome by using the other thumb. I have no problem w/ either so, for me, it would slow me down. But, for someone who has a problem, the comparison is between screwing around, fumbling, and ruining the strong hand grip vs using the other thumb. A no brainer for me.

User Tag List