Thread: Crazy Dane's loading Journal

Crazy Dane's loading Journal

I normally keep everything on paper but I have found it is hard to reference a note book kept on a reloading bench. I'm gonna give this a go.

• Reloading press used (list modifications if relevant): Lee turret press, 4 hole. Lee Auto-disk powder measure with adjustable charge bar.
    • Caliber: 9mm
    • Bullet (Weight, Coating, Profile, Manufacturer): 115gr Hornaday FMJ
    • Powder manufacturer, type and charge; volume, type (ball, stick, flake): Accurate/Ramshot True Blue 6.2gr, very fine ball
    • Dies used: Lee carbide 4 die set
    • Primers used: CCI small pistol
    • Cartridge Overall Length (COAL): 1.15"
    • Chronograph data (if possible): AV 1165, ES 33, SD 8.1
    • Goals intended with this load: shootin shit, bullets and powder were given to me, needed to get them out of the way.
    • Results - accuracy, smokiness, clean burning, flash, temperature, smell, brass deformation, etc.: 2 inch group shooting through the crony, has potential to be better out of my Colt Commander. seems to be a very clean load and very gentle out of a 1911
    • Problems encountered and fixes applied: Powder is fine and leaks out/by all of my powder measures, I may try and reduce tolerances on the auto-disk as found on the internet.
    • Anything of interest:

• Reloading press used (list modifications if relevant): Lee turret press, 4 hole. Lee Auto-disk powder measure with adjustable charge bar.
    • Caliber:9mm
    • Bullet (Weight, Coating, Profile, Manufacturer): Berry's 124gr Hollow Base, Flat Point, Heavy Plating
    • Powder manufacturer, type and charge; volume, type (ball, stick, flake): Accurate/Ramshot True Blue 6.2gr, very fine ball
    • Dies used: Lee Carbide
    • Primers used: CCI Small Pistol
    • Cartridge Overall Length (COAL): 1.15"
    • Chronograph data (if possible): AV 1207, ES 31, SD 7, H 1220, L 1189*
    • Goals intended with this load: The British are coming, er was it the Russians?
    • Results - accuracy, smokiness, clean burning, flash, temperature, smell, brass deformation, etc.: 1 inch groups out of my Colt Commander.
    • Problems encountered and fixes applied: Tightened up the Auto Disk, it helped but still leaking some powder
    • Anything of interest: *Shots 2 and 8 rang up at 1189fps, the only 2 below 1200fps. Its a weird anomaly that opened up the numbers a bit.

• Caliber: .44 Special
    • Bullet (Weight, Coating, Profile, Manufacturer): SNS Casting 210gr RNFP red coated, new Starline Brass
    • Powder manufacturer, type and charge; volume, type (ball, stick, flake): Hodgdon HS-6 10.5 grains
    • Dies used: Lee carbide
    • Primers used: CCI LP
    • Cartridge Overall Length (COAL): 1.445" just over the crimp grove
    • Chronograph data (if possible): Ruger GP100 3" barrel -- AV 960, ES 33 Ruger GP100 5" barrel -- AV 1049, ES 40 Marlin 1894 20 " barrel -- AV 1300
    • Goals intended with this load: Have you watched the news lately? Zombies... Low cost stump killers. Needed an affordable training load for 2 revolvers and a rifle. Will load these by the thousand.
    • Results - accuracy, smokiness, clean burning, flash, temperature, smell, brass deformation, etc.: Clean, average accuracy in the 3 inch and Marlin, may improve once new sights get regulated. Outstanding accuracy in the 5 Inch.
    • Problems encountered and fixes applied:None so far.
    • Anything of interest: Only ran 5 rounds through each over the crony to get an idea of velocity. Only got 2 readings out of the Marlin 1299 and 1301. This load nailed the predicted velocities

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    • Caliber: .44 Special
    • Bullet (Weight, Coating, Profile, Manufacturer): SNS Casting 210gr RNFP red coated, new Starline Brass
    • Powder manufacturer, type and charge; volume, type (ball, stick, flake): Hodgdon HS-6 10.5 grains
    • Dies used: Lee carbide
    • Primers used: CCI LP
    • Cartridge Overall Length (COAL): 1.445" just over the crimp grove
    • Chronograph data (if possible): Ruger GP100 3" barrel -- AV 960, ES 33 Ruger GP100 5" barrel -- AV 1049, ES 40 Marlin 1894 20 " barrel -- AV 1300
    • Goals intended with this load: Have you watched the news lately? Zombies... Low cost stump killers. Needed an affordable training load for 2 revolvers and a rifle. Will load these by the thousand.
    • Results - accuracy, smokiness, clean burning, flash, temperature, smell, brass deformation, etc.: Clean, average accuracy in the 3 inch and Marlin, may improve once new sights get regulated. Outstanding accuracy in the 5 Inch.
    • Problems encountered and fixes applied:None so far.
    • Anything of interest: Only ran 5 rounds through each over the crony to get an idea of velocity. Only got 2 readings out of the Marlin 1299 and 1301. This load nailed the predicted velocities
    The last 50 of 500 rounds loaded tonight.

Arrow

• Reloading press used (list modifications if relevant):Lee Turret
    • Caliber:357 mag
    • Bullet (Weight, Coating, Profile, Manufacturer): 158 SWC, coated, SNS Casting
    • Powder manufacturer, type and charge; volume, type (ball, stick, flake): AA#7 11.6g
    • Dies used:Lee
    • Primers used: CCI 100
    • Cartridge Overall Length (COAL): to the crimp groove
    • Chronograph data (if possible): Ruger WC 3 inch GP100; 1195fps, 9ES, 1198H, 1189L, 2.75SD Colt Python new model 4.25 inch, 1285fps, 17ES, 1291H, 1274L, 4.6SD
    • Goals intended with this load: Revolvers are fun to shoot
    • Results - accuracy, smokiness, clean burning, flash, temperature, smell, brass deformation, etc.: Clean, 1 hole from both guns at 15 yards
    • Problems encountered and fixes applied:
    • Anything of interest:

The Elmer Keith load for the Lyman 358429 170gr bullet was 13.5gr of 2400. I started with 12gr and 12.5gr loads. After testing, there is no need to seek further. Due to limited .38 special brass and 3 revolvers to shoot, I only had enough to test 5 rounds of each charge per gun. 10 yards to target, 10ft to chronograph.

12.5 grains 2400

Ruger GP100 WC 3" - 1288, good accuracy. covered all 5 with a 2" paster.

Colt Python 4" - 1363, 2.5" group, could be the shooter. I was surprised at the lack of felt recoil with the Colt. If Colt will produce a 2.5 to 3 inch Python I will sell my Rugers.

Ruger SP101 2.25" - 1218, Worst group out of the 3 at 4". This load is not intended for this gun, just curious.

12 grains of 2400

Ruger GP100 WC 3" - 1195, just under a 2" group.

Colt Python 4" - 1289, 1.5" group, see why its becoming my fav?

Ruger SP101 2.25" - 1104, great group, sub 2" but over 4" high from POA.

.38-44 Learning has occurred! (pistol-forum.com)

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    In .357 Magnum brass with solid-based DEWC seated to 1.32" OAL you can load up to 5 grains of Bullseye or TiteGroup, 5.5 grs. of 231 or HP38, 6 grains of Unique or Universal, or 9 grains of Alliant #2400. These are heavy field loads which are also accurate, exceeding .38 Special +P energy.

User Tag List