Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Martial Arts Movies

Don’t let the trailer fool you—there is a dope knife scene, and some good fights

I might get flamed for this one, but this is classic 80s stuff, before the 80s got old and fat:

Beautiful cinematography:

Quentin at his homage best:

You need some old-school, eg.

And that’s just stuff that was super-popular in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post

I rather enjoyed Warrior, although it does have a decent amount of quick cuts and some minor shakey cam.
    A little corny at times, but I really dig this movie for some reason. It was filmed in Pittsburgh and one of the first things to happen at our new hockey arena. I knew a few people who did work for it too.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

The Hunted is an excellent, relatively recent, martial arts film. The martial art is primarily based on Sayoc Kali.

As cheesy as it is, Enter the Dragon will always be my favorite.

-or-

Last edited by ER_STL; 08-09-2020 at 06:14 PM.

There is no greater movie about the art of Ching Ching Pow than Hardboiled.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by ER_STL View Post

-or-

This is today's internet winner.

OP, you've got some great ones listed there. Another great Tony Jaa (Ong Bak) flick is The Protector, or Tom Yum depending on who the distributor is. That movie plus the 1st Ong Bak are Tony's best stuff. The Raid Redemption is also phenomenal for hand to hand with weapons and guns as well as empty handed.

As Er Stl stated, The Last Dragon and Big Trouble in Little China are must views, especially when you want to laugh your ass off.

An old school Kung Fu flick I always loved was 5 Element Ninjas, or sometimes called Super Ninjas. Revenge of the Ninja was a great 80s ninja flick with a young Ernie Reyes Jr. If you can find Drive, starting Mark Dacascos, that's one of my all time favorite MA flicks. The movie itself of course is pretty dumb, but the fight scenes are among some of the best ever. It also stars Brittany Murphy. A very unique movie also starring Dacascos is Brotherhood of the Wolf. It's a strange French movie, but beautiful cinematography and some great fight scenes. Dacascos is also in a good capoeira movie called Only the Strong.

One last recommendation is a movie from maybe 10 years ago called The Man with the Iron Fist. Definitely an homage to old school kung fu, starring Russell Crowe, Lucy Liu, and several staples of Asian action movies. Believe Tarantino was a producer of it. Let us know what you think of our suggestions if you watch them.

ETA: Thanks a lot, now I wanna watch some MA movies.

Site Supporter
    Any recommendations for a few suitable to watch with my boys 11 and 7? I.e. fighting ok, the language of a Steven Segal movie would not be. Its been so long since I watched some of these I can recall the details on some of the language and suitability. They are in karate now and looking at BJJ soon, so I think they'd enjoy it. They've liked the old and new Karate Kid movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I quite enjoyed all the Ip Man movies with Donnie Yen (well, 1 through 3, anyway, haven't yet gotten around to the 4th).
    #4 has some excellent fight scenes. The finale (vs Scott Adkins) is I think the best of the series. No wire-fu at all. Ip Man series has always been realistic about size and strength differences.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Can't think of a better example of terrible 80's action films.
    Challenge accepted.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List