Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: New projects that I enjoy- axe restoration

Thanks for the update, @cornstalker. Looking forward to watching your progress with it.

I'm honored by the "Blue" tribute...but more importantly, it'll be great to see it restored to some semblance of its past glory.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Thanks! I can't wait to put it into some wood!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Nice work, dude!
    I ended up getting 25 more axe heads on eBay and a few handles from Whiskey River and Killinger (sp?).

None of the heads are very special, at least they don’t seem to be. But the handles are amazing, I ended up splitting up the end of one of the Killingers as they are pretty delicate for my caveman style. I got it fixed up but lessons.

After I get through the 6 handles I got, I‘ll do a large order from House Handles - $10 compared to $25-$30 as I am just looking to practice the craft and hand out axes to friend who will never really use them. I want to build a few wedge bangers for myself but tree falling is a hobby not a extensive thing.

I got 3 hafted with two in progress with fitting. I’ll get some picture when I get home in a day or so. I bought a plane to compliment the draw knife I am been using for fitting but haven figured out how to set it up. I got three weeks of annual leave coming up and hoping to get to some axes.

Thanks for the love, I am pretty proud how those axes came out.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I ended up getting 25 more axe heads on eBay and a few handles from Whiskey River and Killinger (sp?).

None of the heads are very special, at least they don’t seem to be. But the handles are amazing, I ended up splitting up the end of one of the Killingers as they are pretty delicate for my caveman style. I got it fixed up but lessons.

After I get through the 6 handles I got, I‘ll do a large order from House Handles - $10 compared to $25-$30 as I am just looking to practice the craft and hand out axes to friend who will never really use them. I want to build a few wedge bangers for myself but tree falling is a hobby not a extensive thing.

I got 3 hafted with two in progress with fitting. I’ll get some picture when I get home in a day or so. I bought a plane to compliment the draw knife I am been using for fitting but haven figured out how to set it up. I got three weeks of annual leave coming up and hoping to get to some axes.

Thanks for the love, I am pretty proud how those axes came out.
    I would ask House to pick handles that fit your preference. I got one handle for a sledge eye maul that was very thin (my preference). I ordered another one for when I inevitably break that handle, and it was 50% thicker. They're octagon handles, so thining the handle down would be a real pain, and I'd likely ruin the corners of the octagon shape. Not as big of a deal for "round" handles, but it's more work.

@blues

Thanks again for the awesome gift. I love this thing!

I got the Sager to a functional state. I will have some fun with it, then completely re-do it when I can get a Hoffman haft. The asymmetry of the House handle drove me nuts in this process. I guess that is what a guy should expect for a $15 handle, but I won't do that again. Buy once, cry once. On the next sharpening session, I will try to work the peak in the convex edge down a little bit.

Between the smeared axe wax and my photography skills, I don't think I did the piece justice. Might retry the photoshoot another time as well.

I did have to put the steel wedges in kinda funky to push the wood where I needed it. A lot of lessons were learned on this project.

Name:  IMG_6456.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  70.8 KB

Name:  IMG_6457.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  64.4 KB

Name:  IMG_6460.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  45.7 KB

In action.

Close up so you can see my fukkup with the belt sander on the left side.

Name:  IMG_6453.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  61.5 KB

Thanks for the update, the images and videos, @cornstalker

You're very welcome. It was my pleasure to contribute the ax to your project and to have it come out of the steamer trunk it had been residing in for several years.

I hope it brings you years of pleasure and becomes a family heirloom.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Nice work @cornstalker

Learning a belt sander and a bandsaw would help things out.

Beaver Tooth has some double bit handles in stock - Killinger and Whiskey River are cleaned out. Gotta jump on them when they are around. Last weekend I got an email on some Killinger handles but in 2 hours they were all sold.

I learn with every haft.

Site Supporter
    Name:  PFAxe -1.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  102.2 KB

Name:  PFAxe - 3.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  37.1 KB

Name:  PFAxe -2.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  40.8 KB

Four I just finished up for my crew as end of the season mementos. Three Whiskey River and a Killinger handle, all vintage or unmark heads I got as a lot off eBay. That double bit cruiser head was jacked up but I got a good hang with the canary wood wedge that seems to mushroom out over the head.

I split the bottom of the Killinger handle pounding head on and off for fitting, I need to be less caveman. I need to take more time measuring and marking cutting off the top of the handle and sawing the kerf down.

I got two more in process and I am out of handles.

I spent a little time bonding with the Sager today. What a great little axe! Very athletic. It's easy to be very accurate with it. I will spend more time with it soon to learn it more. So far, it's awesome!

Name:  IMG_6639.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  74.4 KB

User Tag List