Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: New projects that I enjoy- axe restoration

Nice grain.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

This is such a neat thread! I really do love craftsmanship.

Site Supporter
    Not axe restoration but hafting the random heads from work.Name:  FC608323-941C-4E48-AC2B-C38E83820FEB.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  41.6 KB

They’ll all get tension pins and a bunch of oil. A coat of glo-orange paint on the heads and maybe a stripe on the handles, it sucks to be looking for your axe in the brush when you need a pound a wedge in the backcut. Maybe a stripe of green as that is how we mark my crew’s tools.

The wedges that can with the handles sucked so I got a variety coming from Whiskey River Trading. It’s been good practice, I want to do a bunch more, I got two more boys axe heads to do. Hopefully this week.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 01-10-2021 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Not axe restoration but hafting the random heads from work.Name:  FC608323-941C-4E48-AC2B-C38E83820FEB.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  41.6 KB

They’ll all get tension pins and a bunch of oil. A coat of glo-orange paint on the heads and maybe a stripe on the handles, it sucks to be looking for your axe in the brush when you need a pound a wedge in the backcut. Maybe a stripe of green as that is how we mark my crew’s tools.

The wedges that can with the handles sucked so I got a variety coming from Whiskey River Trading. It’s been good practice, I want to do a bunch more, I got two more boys axe heads to do. Hopefully this week.
    Nicely done!!

Looked like you were showing some of your handiwork atop a saddle. Did I see that right?
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Site Supporter
    Name:  Axe Fixing 1.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  77.0 KB
    Name:  Axe Fixing 2.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  57.5 KB
    Name:  Axe Fixing 3.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  39.1 KB

Not restoration but continue the fixing.

Got all six axe heads on the handle, wedged with wood and metal, and tension pins in and ground flush.

I got some really tight good fits mostly, some gaps on top but the bottom had pretty much curl 100% around. The weird one was the European splitting hatchet, with has a huge eye but I fit it on a 28" felling handle. It will be an interesting wedge banger. The green axe you can see the bulge over the top of the eye, the walnut wedge is nice.

There were two, maybe three of the axes where I didn't "get the hang" - one where the axe head dipped down and one where the axe head pushed up. I think also with one of the 20" handle shorties - it's hard to tell with those big heads and short handles. I couldn't find my on the internet on how to fix or modify that.

The 20' shorties will be great in the go packs for the chainsaw stuff - 2 pairs of chaps, tool kit, wedges, extra chains, fuel bottles, and now axe.

The next step is linseed oil the handles, sharpen the heads, and paint with day glo orange.

I will be looking for some more axe heads in junk shops just to get some more practice in hafting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Name:  Axe Fixing 1.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  77.0 KB
    Name:  Axe Fixing 2.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  57.5 KB
    Name:  Axe Fixing 3.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  39.1 KB

Not restoration but continue the fixing.

Got all six axe heads on the handle, wedged with wood and metal, and tension pins in and ground flush.

I got some really tight good fits mostly, some gaps on top but the bottom had pretty much curl 100% around. The weird one was the European splitting hatchet, with has a huge eye but I fit it on a 28" felling handle. It will be an interesting wedge banger. The green axe you can see the bulge over the top of the eye, the walnut wedge is nice.

There were two, maybe three of the axes where I didn't "get the hang" - one where the axe head dipped down and one where the axe head pushed up. I think also with one of the 20" handle shorties - it's hard to tell with those big heads and short handles. I couldn't find my on the internet on how to fix or modify that.

The 20' shorties will be great in the go packs for the chainsaw stuff - 2 pairs of chaps, tool kit, wedges, extra chains, fuel bottles, and now axe.

The next step is linseed oil the handles, sharpen the heads, and paint with day glo orange.

I will be looking for some more axe heads in junk shops just to get some more practice in hafting.
    Nice work, dude!

@cornstalker

Any progress with the Sager?
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    @cornstalker

Any progress with the Sager?
    Yessir. It has been "blued", (in honor of its donor LOL), and is almost ready to hang. Eight bluing cycles in total. I left some streaks on it in the carding process, so I want to see if I can remove those. I need to finish the edges. Also waiting on walnut wedges to come in from Hoffman. I got my hands on a log splitter to get through some knotty pine, ash, and maple that I have. If I get that done today I will spend some time on the Sager tomorrow.

I have been saving these babies for it.

Name:  IMG_6427.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  63.5 KB

I caved and bought a Stihl branded Ochsenkopf and a Hults Bruk Sarek. The Stihl is a nice axe, but sticky in big wood. The Sarek is a beast. I probably won't buy another brand new axe that isn't Swedish.

Sarek

User Tag List