Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New projects that I enjoy- axe restoration

The Hults Bruk is giving me fits. There is some interior contour to the eye that I havent figured out how to fit yet. Decided to walk away for a bit and come back to it later.

The twisted, poorly made helves from a mass producer are getting to me also. The kerf is offset and crooked on every on I have. Until I learn how to make my own, I have to run with what's available.

Started on the Sager. I used Evaporust to try to remove the rust from the bottom of the pits. It removed the rust but put an undesireable patina on the metal. The cool part is that it revealed the temper/quench line. The hardened area is quite large. Very cool. Now I have to decide if I want to polish again or if I want to rust blue it to a deep black. This is a VERY nice axe head. I am still blown away by the generosity that sent it my way!

I have finished fitting and treating the helve for the Sager. I need to fit the wedge and it will be ready to hang as soon as I finish the head.

Name:  IMG_4267.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  42.8 KB

Name:  IMG_4276.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  51.3 KB

Name:  IMG_4277.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  50.5 KB

The orange axe isn't so pretty anymore. I have been using the shit out of it. Great little axe, but it does not hold an edge as good as my Hults Bruks. Still, just a quick touch up and away we go. I had a 3.5 pound felling axe on a 36" handle. I like the little orange one so much better that I gave the other one away.

Name:  IMG_4442.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  55.0 KB

Been so busy with firewood that I haven't had time to work on the Sager. I have the supplies and equipment together to do a cold rust blue, (quick method), but have not had the time to do it. I had hoped to use the Sager for this batch of wood, but it wasn't ready in time. I gave the Hults Bruk double and a couple of hafts to my dad. He can finish it.

All of this was split by hand, and the little orange axe put up a significant percentage of it. The 12-18" rounds were halved with a maul first, then broken down with the axes unless they were real stubborn. I have an additional 1/2 cord at home that was split with the orange axe.

Name:  IMG_4440.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  64.6 KB

Name:  IMG_4439.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  52.5 KB

Name:  IMG_4438.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  49.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    The twisted, poorly made helves from a mass producer are getting to me also. The kerf is offset and crooked on every on I have. Until I learn how to make my own, I have to run with what's available.

Now I have to decide if I want to polish again or if I want to rust blue it to a deep black. This is a VERY nice axe head. I am still blown away by the generosity that sent it my way!
    Where are you sourcing your handles? (so that I can be wary of them.) If you've got an old hardware shop, ask if they have a old box of handles that may not be on display anymore. Then you might get to hand pick one. Probably doesn't work at the modern places.

On knives, I've had better luck getting a consistent finish with ferric chloride than vinegar. Don't know if the same would apply to axe heads. The steel needs to be perfectly clean of grease and oil. Not even fingerprints.

Thanks for all the photos. I'm enjoying this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Racoon View Post
    Where are you sourcing your handles? (so that I can be wary of them.) If you've got an old hardware shop, ask if they have a old box of handles that may not be on display anymore. Then you might get to hand pick one. Probably doesn't work at the modern places.

On knives, I've had better luck getting a consistent finish with ferric chloride than vinegar. Don't know if the same would apply to axe heads. The steel needs to be perfectly clean of grease and oil. Not even fingerprints.

Thanks for all the photos. I'm enjoying this thread.
    THe handles were from House Handle. Grade A select, at that.

I am not sure what's in the compound I have now. It is Mark Lee Express Blue #1 from Brownell's. My gunsmith gave it to me and loaned me a carding brush.

I have to cut/split 2.5 more cords of wood, then I am free to start working on my axes again. I also have to re-hang my maul asap.

In the interim, I have managed to scrounge up a couple of smooth-eye, phantom-bevel True Temper Kelly Perfect heads. When I have them ready I will blue both of them at the same time as the Sager.

Name:  IMG_4713.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  61.4 KB

There are a couple of guys putting out some high-quality custom hafts. Hoffman Blacksmithing and Chris Killinger. They sell out so quickly that they are tough to get. Hoffman had some 28" single bit handles in stock so I got two of them coming. I will order double-bit handles from whoever gets them in first.

https://www.hoffmanblacksmithing.com...um-axe-handles

Site Supporter
    I just got six handles from House Handles and I am impressed - couple of faller’s axe, 28 inch straight single bit, and some boys axes. I’ve never had the few things I’ve re-handled last long term but hopefully by axe 6 I’ll get things right. Ended up getting the hexagonal handles to try out, pretty neat.

There are a ton of tutorials out there. This one actually covers fitting the wedge as well as the haft.

I use a 4x36 belt sander for most of the stock removal. It takes a light touch. Finishing touches with a drawknife, spokeshave, and rasp.

This is the last one I hung. Full wedge fit, no shelf. Best fitting I have done yet. Still learning though. This is the felling axe that I gave away.

Name:  IMG_4389.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  98.9 KB

Name:  IMG_4391.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  29.5 KB

Name:  IMG_4392.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  32.3 KB

I have a Plumb? double bit with a red handle that my dad gave me about 45 years ago. I never see those sold anymore in the hardware stores. Did the fed outlaw those as dangerous to the user? I don't know a lot about blades and axes so just curious. I know a lot more about chain saws.

Looks a lot like this one but mine's in better shape.

My understanding is they were preferred by lumberjacks for falling before they moved to chainsaws.
    Last edited by Borderland; 12-27-2020 at 12:10 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I have a Plumb? double bit with a red handle that my dad gave me about 45 years ago. I never see those sold anymore in the hardware stores. Did the fed outlaw those as dangerous to the user? I don't know a lot about blades and axes so just curious. I know a lot more about chain saws.

Looks a lot like this one but mine's in better shape.

My understanding is they were preferred by lumberjacks for falling before they moved to chainsaws.
    That pic reminds me. When I was 13 or 14 we got a wood burning stove that my dad intended to heat the house with (and still does 40 years later). We would go to cut wood on my uncle’s farm. He and my dad would drop a tree and it was my job to limb it with the double bit axe while they would start felling the next tree. My dad would not let me use the chain saw because he “didn’t have time to take me to the hospital “. I did get pretty handy with that axe and a maul in my teens. After we all moved out he bought a log splitter.

User Tag List