Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New projects that I enjoy- axe restoration

Well, I got the pond scum off of the single bit. Looks like it did before the vinegar bath. I am thinking about bead blasting it and calling it good.

Got some hafts in. I didn't photo the single bit handle. It is poorly shaped and needs a little love with the spokeshave and belt sander.

These are the hafts for the double bits. Two 30" handles in red hickory, one round, one octagon. One will go in the Sager, the other in a pick axe I am trying to resurrect. (unless I fuck up the first run at the Sager, then the pick axe will have to wait) I actually have another 30" red hickory octagon, but it arrived cracked.

The 36" white hickory will be for the Hults Bruk.

The grain orientation is quite impressive.

Name:  IMG_4020.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  79.2 KB

Name:  IMG_4021.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  58.4 KB

Name:  IMG_4022.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  96.0 KB
    Last edited by cornstalker; 08-23-2020 at 10:09 PM.

I went over to my gunsmiths and had the Hults Bruk and the practice piece blasted. The single bit was glass blasted first and that actually highlighted the welds and made them very obvious. Had them silicon dioxide blasted and that came out better. For an axe that will be used heavily, the Hults Bruk is going to get sharpened and hung as it is and put in action. Even after the SD blast, the welds still show on the other. It will get painted.

Name:  IMG_4054.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  33.0 KB

Name:  IMG_4055.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  27.7 KB

Name:  IMG_4057.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  99.0 KB

Name:  IMG_4058.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  49.9 KB

Name:  IMG_4059.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  94.4 KB

Name:  IMG_4060.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  91.2 KB

I started shaping the haft for the single bit with a 4 in hand. Got the first 3/4" done and tested for straight. Tough to tell in the pic, but it's straight as an arrow. Now I have to maintain that profile and orientation until it is bottomed out. To test, I start the head, then hang the head down towards the ground holding the haft loosely in my hand. I then smack the bottom of the handle like it is a VP9 with a rubber mallet, driving it downward into the head. The wood curls off of the base of the eye and tell the story what needs to be done next to fit it.

Name:  IMG_4061.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  37.8 KB

Name:  IMG_4063.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  27.3 KB

Name:  IMG_4064.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  33.4 KB

This is the Hults Bruk that I got Dad for Father's Day. I think he did a good job on it. It is quite a chopper. I took two swings with it on a dead elm stump and it popped out a satisfying V shaped notch nearly 3" deep.

Name:  IMG_4075.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  79.2 KB

The practice project continues to provide challenges. The handle has a slight twist at the bottom. The wedge slot is cut at an angle and off center and the part where the head goes on was shaved crooked. I was able to work it down to where the head seats firmly down and is straight on all three angles. Not sure what the top will look like after the wedge is installed. I would have prefered a more angled wedge fit on the bottom than a ledge, but this is the best I could do with what I have to work with on this one.

Name:  IMG_4083.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  30.0 KB

I did make more progress on the head and haft after the fitting session. This one is getting close to done. I could not fool the iPhone camera into showing the color the same way my eyes see it. The actual color is a little darker than the pictures represent.

Edit: Actually the second picture is pretty close.

Name:  IMG_4086.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  34.8 KB

Name:  IMG_4103.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  34.7 KB

Name:  IMG_4107.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  84.2 KB

Just a few finishing touches left. Here it is, near completion.

Name:  IMG_4120.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  22.0 KB

I used too large of a steel wedge and split the wood on the eye. I am going to use it until it comes loose and start over, hopefully with a straighter helve next time.

Name:  IMG_4118.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  25.2 KB

Live and learn...

The edge, filed, honed, polished and stropped. Not gonna shave with it, but it oughta cut.

Looks good

Try soaking that end in boiled linseed oil until it fills those cranks and that will hold fine.

The cracks are running in the right direction and won't weaken the handle in my experiance.

Quote Originally Posted by kitchen's mill View Post
    Looks good

Try soaking that end in boiled linseed oil until it fills those cranks and that will hold fine.

The cracks are running in the right direction and won't weaken the handle in my experiance.
    Thanks for the tip. I have been treating it, but not soaking it. Have you ever used dipropylene glycol to swell wood?

I have not.

Old school I guess, goes along with being old

My Swedish axes came heavily oiled, they are good and tight.

Quote Originally Posted by kitchen's mill View Post
    I have not.

Old school I guess, goes along with being old

My Swedish axes came heavily oiled, they are good and tight.
    Can't argue that. I most certainly appreciate the advice!

The single bit project is now complete. I was going to do a paracord wrap below the head, but with the haft being on the short side it would take up functional real estate where your hand needs to be able to slide.

Name:  IMG_4141.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  90.3 KB

Name:  IMG_4142.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  63.1 KB

Name:  IMG_4143.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  80.7 KB

Name:  IMG_4144.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  86.1 KB

This head is a better splitter than chopper. It lacks the penetration that you get with the Swedish heads. Still quite useful. Figured I would go ahead and get started wrecking the paint job. Just a little 6" fir round.

User Tag List