Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New projects that I enjoy- axe restoration

New projects that I enjoy- axe restoration

I picked up this single bit off of Craigslist. The seller told me it's Swedish, but there is no proof of that. The forging and temper line looked good so I bought it as a practice piece. Foolishly, I did not take good before pics, so all I have is the before photo's the guy sent me. It was pretty dented up, especially the poll. Some of the dents were quite deep and the metal was rolled over on the edge. The seller had attempted to sharpen it and hang it. The head was at least 10 degrees off center on the haft and the haft had a twist in it.

Name:  IMG_3894.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  48.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3897.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  37.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3895.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  47.7 KB

Here is is with the poll corrected, a 25 degree edge roughed in and some cleanup top and bottom.

Name:  IMG_3842.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  20.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3843.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  26.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3844.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  25.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3845.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  31.3 KB

I notched some of the deeper gouges with a grinding wheel and have a friend welding them. When I get it back I will finish shaping it then try a vinegar patina. I am not sure if the mig wire will take patina the same color as the axe head. If not, I will paint it.

Nothing special, just a fun project that I thought I would share.

Scored this on eBay for $60. It doesn't need much, but it's next.

Name:  IMG_3892.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  50.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3891.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  48.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3893.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  48.9 KB

If I ever remember or come across where I stashed this Sager Chemical Axe head, I'll send it off to you, gratis. I bought it many years ago from a Canadian gentleman, a knife and ax fan on an old chat group back in the day.

Name:  Sager3.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  57.5 KB

Name:  Sager1.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  76.3 KB
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    If I ever remember or come across where I stashed this Sager Chemical Axe head, I'll send it off to you, gratis. I bought it many years ago from a Canadian gentleman, a knife and ax fan on an old chat group back in the day.

Name:  Sager3.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  57.5 KB

Name:  Sager1.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  76.3 KB
    Holy crap!! That would be awesome!

I bid on a couple of Sagers before I got the Hults Bruk. The auctions went off to the races and left me behind. Definitely heirloom quality stuff there.

Love this thread.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Holy crap!! That would be awesome!

I bid on a couple of Sagers before I got the Hults Bruk. The auctions went off to the races and left me behind. Definitely heirloom quality stuff there.
    You'll be very welcome.

You only have to promise not to flip it for cash when the time comes. I don't at all mind making a gift of it to a forum friend...especially if it will be lovingly restored and hopefully used.

But first I have to remember where it's stashed.

You'll be very welcome.

You only have to promise not to flip it for cash when the time comes. I don't at all mind making a gift of it to a forum friend...especially if it will be lovingly restored and hopefully used.

But first I have to remember where it's stashed.
    I wouldn't dream of selling it. Or any of my others for that matter. I do this for fun and personal satisfaction, never for profit. It would definitely get restored and used.

Very cool of you to offer, even if you never find it. Thanks!

I wouldn't dream of selling it. Or any of my others for that matter. I do this for fun and personal satisfaction, never for profit. It would definitely get restored and used.

Very cool of you to offer, even if you never find it. Thanks!
    I take you at your word, of course.

Well, you are one lucky so and so...I found it right where I suspected it might be. In a steamer trunk I've owned for 60 years since I went away to camp as a youth. I have a bunch of Nepali khukris and a few other interesting international blades in the trunk which were keeping it company.

Still in the original shipping box that I received it in, with the letter written to me by the sender from western Canada in October, 2002.

I'll send the head, box and accompanying letter to you to complete the set. Shoot me a PM with the particulars and I'll get to it at first opportunity.

Can't wait to see what you do with it. I'm sure it'll bring a smile.

I take you at your word, of course.

Well, you are one lucky so and so...I found it right where I suspected it might be. In a steamer trunk I've owned for 60 years since I went away to camp as a youth. I have a bunch of Nepali khukris and a few other interesting international blades in the trunk which were keeping it company.

Still in the original shipping box that I received it in, with the letter written to me by the sender from western Canada in October, 2002.

I'll send the head, box and accompanying letter to you to complete the set. Shoot me a PM with the particulars and I'll get to it at first opportunity.

Can't wait to see what you do with it. I'm sure it'll bring a smile.
    Words can't express my gratitude. How awesome!

If you feel like messing with it, I would sure love to see pics of your khukris and other blades from your collection.

Words can't express my gratitude. How awesome!

If you feel like messing with it, I would sure love to see pics of your khukris and other blades from your collection.
    You're more than welcome. It makes me happy that it will finally be put to good use rather than reposing in the sarcophagus in my shop. I had good intentions for it, just never got around to fulfilling them.

I think I posted some old pix of my khuks on this forum in the past. They're crappy old pix that haven't been updated. If I find a few of the images I'll post 'em in a different thread.

(BTW, the ax head is boxed and addressed. I'll get it to the P.O. next visit to town.)

Khukuris
    Last edited by blues; 08-09-2020 at 01:58 PM. Reason: typo

User Tag List