Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 9th Circuit overturns Hawaii butterfly knife ban

9th Circuit overturns Hawaii butterfly knife ban

9th Circuit overturns butterfly knife ban, citing Supreme Court ‘history’ standard on guns
    AUG. 7, 2023

A conservative panel of federal judges ruled Monday that a 30-year ban on butterfly knives in Hawaii is unconstitutional under the U.S. Supreme Court’s new “history and tradition” standard for reviewing the legitimacy of gun and other weapons laws nationwide.
    https://www.latimes.com/california/s...andard-on-guns
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    9th Circuit overturns butterfly knife ban, citing Supreme Court ‘history’ standard on guns
    AUG. 7, 2023

A conservative panel of federal judges ruled Monday that a 30-year ban on butterfly knives in Hawaii is unconstitutional under the U.S. Supreme Court’s new “history and tradition” standard for reviewing the legitimacy of gun and other weapons laws nationwide.
    https://www.latimes.com/california/s...andard-on-guns
    Oh, hell yes. Next to ‘chucks,’ the butterfly was my adolescent heartthrob. That, and Heather Thomas from “the fall guy,” of course.

9th circuit: this could mean that my WA state safe queens can leave their safe space now. Thanks for posting!
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

9th Circuit overturns Hawaii butterfly knife ban

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Oh, hell yes. Next to ‘chucks,’ the butterfly was my adolescent heartthrob. That, and Heather Thomas from “the fall guy,” of course.

9th circuit: this could mean that my WA state safe queens can leave their safe space now. Thanks for posting!
    I never understood the appeal of butterfly knives, but am ecstatic about knives and similar weapons being included in the RKBA.

Edit: I once stopped a mugging by deploying an old school switchblade.

That, and Heather Thomas from “the fall guy,” of course.
    I don't know why, but I was thinking of that poster the other day...
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I never understood the appeal of butterfly knives, but am ecstatic about knives and similar weapons being included in the RKBA.

Edit: I once stopped a mugging by deploying an old school switchblade.
    Butterfly knives are objectively inferior to, well, just about anything in terms of edged self-defense. But I’m still fidget spinning one today, because: 9th circuit; “streets of fire;” trained MBC with Janich.

Also: I’m sure I’ve told the story about using an Emerson CQC-7 to deselect myself in DT Spokanistan years ago. Maybe this decision will remove me from the OTF incel pool. I am forever feeling like the kid stuck inside doing math homework during recess any time the OTF thread resurfaces.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    I don't know why, but I was thinking of that poster the other day...
    *”Back then, the number of Heather Thomas photos taped inside boys’ high-school lockers might have exceeded even the quantity of Ray-Bans and Rubik’s Cubes being sold in the United States.”

*Actual quote on the topic of said bikini poster

Butterfly knives are objectively inferior to, well, just about anything in terms of edged self-defense. But I’m still fidget spinning one today, because: 9th circuit; “streets of fire;” trained MBC with Janich.

Also: I’m sure I’ve told the story about using an Emerson CQC-7 to deselect myself in DT Spokanistan years ago. Maybe this decision will remove me from the OTF incel pool. I am forever feeling like the kid stuck inside doing math homework during recess any time the OTF thread resurfaces.
    Come on… you know you want to exercise your right to carry a John Wick approved Hawk Deadlock in any state in the Union.

https://www.breitbart.com/2nd-amendm...ond-amendment/

Nice. About time.

Of course knives are arms - as are swords, spears, lances, body armor (whether mail, plate, Kevlar…), etc.

The 2nd Amendment does NOT simply = guns.

The meaning of the term “arms” is broader than many think. Lots of terms reflect this; polearms, firearms, man-at-arms, etc.

Sad we need a court to declare this when a simple dictionary of the English language should suffice.

Name:  IMG_2829.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  28.6 KB

I had this poster along with the Farrah poster in my room. Beautiful women for sure.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

When I was about 8 years old, my dad found a butterfly knife at a Flea Market and bought it and gave it to me. I credit that knife, and butterfly knives in general, with setting off my love of bladed weapons. He gave it to me, because I absolutely loved the Ninja Turtles and he thought I would appreciate a knife that said, "Golden Dragon" on the side. I still have it, it's in my valet case at home, in its sheath. I take it out about once a year and play with it for fun. Today is clearly that day of the year.

____

About that knife, knives in general, and butterfly knives overall...

I read Greg Walker's Springblade books as a kid of about 13, they involved knives and I fucking loved knives. In the first book the main character uses a 'balisong knife' to stab a would-be D.C. mugger in the ass (hey it was the '80s). I didn't know what a 'balisong knife' was, so using our primitive dialup connection went online and looked it up.

I figured out that butterfly knives and balisongs were the same thing and that they were from the Philippines. Then I found Balisong.com and different ways of flipping the things open, that was cool as hell. So, I started trying to figure all that out and found a place called BladeForums.

At BladeForums I started chatting with some guy called Michael Burch, who was still working as a writer then, but was making cool knives, he said, "Hey check out this place...since you like balisongs.". He sent me over to the Usual Suspect Network. Through USN, I met Ram Maramba, Larry Davidson, Allen Elishiweitz, Charles Marlowe, a whole host of folks. From there, I bought my first custom knife, then my second, to...I don't even know how many these days.

On USN I kept seeing these other cool 'Filipino' knives called 'pikals' - some dude with a blurry face and the screen name, 'Southnarc' had created some knife called a 'Clinch Pick'. I didn't quite get it, but it seemed cool, the edge was backwards, but fuck it, I liked balisongs and those you can use with the edge inverted. I tried it, it made some sense, so I eventually started to pick up what that blurry faced guy as part of his company, "Shivworks" was putting down.

That led me to a little van down by the river called Total Protection Interactive. Over there I ran into some guy called TLG and that's how I made my way over to his forum, Pistol-Forum.

Along the way, I started focusing on learning, training, and thinking deeply about martial aspects of life. And also about non-martial aspects, like not dressing like a slob, putting in a lot of professionalism, etc. It was all quite useful for a boy who came from a blue collar background but was trying to make his way in a white collar world. I didn't really know what the fuck I was doing (I don't know now, either), but I learned an absolute metric fuck ton of stuff along the way and made some really, really, good friends in the process.

And all of that because of a butterfly knife.

___

I guess you can say this journey I have been on for pretty much my entire adult life is all due to, the butterfly knife effect.

___

User Tag List