Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So, I did a thing, and could use some advice re: square-butt grips

So, I did a thing, and could use some advice re: square-butt grips

A few of the threads here got me thinking about a .22 revolver. I considered the LCRx in 3" and, while that would have been more practical than what I ended up with, I was put off by the heavy trigger and unconventional design. I started looking around for a K-frame 4" S&W .22LR and found them both rare and pricey. I didn't want a full underlug, which seems to be all this is available new. I was picturing a Model 64 in .22LR, but no joy.

My first foray into Gunbroker led me down the path to this. It's not exactly what was looking for, but it was interesting, and I might've gotten carried away. In any event, I won the auction.

Took possession Friday and test-fired briefly (~18 rds) this morning.

First impressions:

*Geez Louise she's pretty! That old, deep S&W blue--wow! I can't imagine putting this thing in a holster. My only other wheelguns are a GP100 (4") and a M64 DAO.

*DA is not terrible. Smooth but stiff. SA is classic S&W clean and light.

*She is accurate! Just test-firing at 7 yds. Shot about an inch high, centered in nice tight clusters I could cover with a quarter, when I did my part.

*I've never fired a square-butt before, and I'm not a fan of the stocks, or SB so far.

* The only flaw I've noticed is a slight shiny spot on the blade of the front sight--as if it caught on something hard at one point. Just need to blacken it.

* I haven't owned a 6" before. I like the handiness of a 4", but the 6" seems quite manageable--especially since it's unlikely I'll be holstering this revolver anytime soon.

* Why didn't S&W build all of these with 10 rd. cylinders, as opposed to the 6?

*I still wish it was a stainless 4" roundbutt .22 (does that exist?)--but I do like it.

QUESTIONS:

Thoughts on stocks? The square-butt is just so large--it seems to really limit options compared to round-butt. I have medium to medium-largish hands. I recently put these on my LEO trade-in 64, and I love them.

How to blacken the front sight?

Thanks for any wisdom you can offer!

Nice score!

I don’t have an answer for the grips. It’s been a long time since I played in the K Frame world, but maybe a set of “combat grips” (IIRC) would be the answer.

I have a Model 63 which is a 4” square butt J Frame so the butt is smaller than a K. In fact, I found them a little too small and went with a set of vintage Shooting Stars from Herretts.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Very nice catch! If the target stocks are too much you could try magnas (the small stocks that are defined by the grip frame). I have always found them too wide but they might be perfect for you. There are so many aftermarket stocks for the K frame that you would need a life time to try them all. My first suggestion would be a set of Herrett Ropers. They are similar to the targets you have but run slimmer. http://www.herrettstocks.com/roperlrg.htm
    Good luck in your search. You've got yourself an heirloom wheel gun there!

2 things:

1. Epic FAIL for not posting pics. 🤣😂😎

and

2. VZ Grips are a good choice.

https://vzgrips.com/shop/revolvers/s.../new-category/
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

re: Front sight darkening: Sharpie or cold bluing

Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    A few of the threads here got me thinking about a .22 revolver. I considered the LCRx in 3" and, while that would have been more practical than what I ended up with, I was put off by the heavy trigger and unconventional design. I started looking around for a K-frame 4" S&W .22LR and found them both rare and pricey. I didn't want a full underlug, which seems to be all this is available new. I was picturing a Model 64 in .22LR, but no joy.

My first foray into Gunbroker led me down the path to this. It's not exactly what was looking for, but it was interesting, and I might've gotten carried away. In any event, I won the auction.

Took possession Friday and test-fired briefly (~18 rds) this morning.

First impressions:

*Geez Louise she's pretty! That old, deep S&W blue--wow! I can't imagine putting this thing in a holster. My only other wheelguns are a GP100 (4") and a M64 DAO.

*DA is not terrible. Smooth but stiff. SA is classic S&W clean and light.

*She is accurate! Just test-firing at 7 yds. Shot about an inch high, centered in nice tight clusters I could cover with a quarter, when I did my part.

*I've never fired a square-butt before, and I'm not a fan of the stocks, or SB so far.

* The only flaw I've noticed is a slight shiny spot on the blade of the front sight--as if it caught on something hard at one point. Just need to blacken it.

* I haven't owned a 6" before. I like the handiness of a 4", but the 6" seems quite manageable--especially since it's unlikely I'll be holstering this revolver anytime soon.

* Why didn't S&W build all of these with 10 rd. cylinders, as opposed to the 6?

*I still wish it was a stainless 4" roundbutt .22 (does that exist?)--but I do like it.

QUESTIONS:

Thoughts on stocks? The square-butt is just so large--it seems to really limit options compared to round-butt. I have medium to medium-largish hands. I recently put these on my LEO trade-in 64, and I love them.

How to blacken the front sight?

Thanks for any wisdom you can offer!

There is a plethora of S&W square butt stocks available. I'd start off with a set of the Rogers/Safariland SB stocks. They are much thinner than those slabs of dead tree you have.

You can get some Cold Blue for the front sight to blacken it. A sharpie works wonders as well.

S&W built the K22s as six shooters because all the Target Masterpiece revolvers were six shooters. S&W didn't get out of their box very much unless someone paid them to do so...that remains true today as well.

If you're looking for a stainless steel, 4" round butt your best bet is a Model 63 J frame. I'm pretty sure the 617s are all square butts.

Finally, nice gat!
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    2 things:

1. Epic FAIL for not posting pics. 🤣😂😎

and

2. VZ Grips are a good choice.

https://vzgrips.com/shop/revolvers/s.../new-category/
    Pics are linked! The seller took better pics than I could have.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I'm pretty sure the 617s are all square butts.
    Everything made after ~1997 is round butt (unless I guess special ordered or built on old frames). Round-to-square conversion stocks were standard after that but underneath they're all round. There are 10-shot 617s made between 1997 and 2002 that are 10 shot, round butt and pre-lock like OP is talking about.

Here's one that's been polished but the last pic shows the grips removed: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/875580944

Here's one that might go for less, closer to just a thousand but isn't photographed well: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/875994257

There is a plethora of S&W square butt stocks available. I'd start off with a set of the Rogers/Safariland SB stocks. They are much thinner than those slabs of dead tree you have.
    Yeah, I wonder if OP is just equating the huge factory stocks with "square butt" in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    My first suggestion would be a set of Herrett Ropers. They are similar to the targets you have but run slimmer. http://www.herrettstocks.com/roperlrg.htm
    Good luck in your search. You've got yourself an heirloom wheel gun there!
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/lounge/...s-closing.html

If they're still taking orders you might want to get them sooner than later. Sounds like there won't be a later.

Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    I bought a set of smooth VZ Grips stocks for my girlfriend's square butt K-Frame. They look very nice on an older, nicely blued K-Frame and are quite a bit smaller than the stock wood stocks that came with the gun. Since you like VZ's and want smaller stocks, you might want to try those. My girlfriend certainly seems to like hers.

User Tag List