Thread: WML with LPVO 16”?

Question WML with LPVO 16”?

I have a 16” govt profile with a 1-6x24 LPVO and I’m curious what the group thinks about adding a WML. I have a few AR pistols with WMLs and red dots as well as other LW 16” guns with red dots and WMLs so this is more of a thought exercise. This rifle is not my “go to” but it is my first dedicated LPVO. The rifle is already heavy, I have the mount and P2X and P3X Furys so I wouldn’t be spending any money to add a light. There’s no defined use for this rifle other than long range shooting which wouldn’t necessitate a light. However, it might be interesting to run some drills at 1X just to test the concept on a heavier and longer rifle.

For those with LPVOs, do you also run a WML? Why or why not? I’m more interested in the thinking and less interested in particular equipment.

Thanks!

I don't keep a WML attached to mine 24/7 as I too have other arms that are my "go-to" for home or self defense. That said I would suggest getting a 1-inch mount to be able to attach one of your lights if the need arises.

I mean, only real question is, what is the purpose of the rifle? If there's truly no defined purpose as you stated, and you have no plans to ever press it into defensive use, then sure, I can see not ever putting a WML on it being perfectly fine, or possibly even desirable, depending on function (e.g., a gamer gun). All of my guns, on the other hand, I want to be able to use defensively the moment I pick it up, so I run WMLs on them all, including my LPVO guns.

Agreed with the above. Define the purpose of the rifle and it's intent. That will decide if you need/should/want to put a WML on it.

I have one on my 16" CCU with Mk6 1-6x. It is offset on the rail to the right side so it's at 1-2 o'clock so it doesn't stick out so far at 3.

I don’t have a single rifle that doesn’t fit the role of fighting gun, so they all have lights. The HD gun has an Aimpoint but that’s my wife’s, if I had to use an AR and had trine to get one from the safe, it’s be my 12.5 with Razor 1-10 and Surefire M640DF. I built it to be the most versatile gun you can get but like I said, all of my guns are (or will be) setup for defensive use aside from my M1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by davisj View Post
    I have a 16” govt profile with a 1-6x24 LPVO and I’m curious...about adding a WML...I have the mount and P2X and P3X Furys...it might be interesting to run some drills at 1X just to test the concept on a heavier and longer rifle.
    Taking these facts into consideration, your first post should have been "I tried a WML on my scoped AR and after shooting it under a variety of conditions, my findings are..."
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

I'd say put a light on it just because. A 300 series from Arisaka/Surefire/Modlite with a simply clicky tail cap is pretty light and doesn't take up much space.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Yes, x2. I like the Odin on my heavier Recce because it's a heavy light already, and the VFG makes swinging it around a lot more feasible. Also, more importantly, I can pop it off before I go to the range in <5 seconds.

I want a lighter WML for the skinnier Recce - and probably will eventually - but right now all the models I'd want to replace the HL-X with (Modlite, Arisaka 600 series) are just a couple oz lighter and cost >2x as much.

Lite Recce

Heavy Recce

User Tag List