Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Protests at a LEO's home.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Depends on what you mean by "targeting." If you mean directing lawful protests toward an individual, I say yes. Armed NRA members are free to gather in front of WLP's compound to protest financial malfeasance, but aren't free to explicitly threaten him with violence.

Aside from the lack of lynchings, firebombs, and flaming crosses? If the protest is peaceful & lawful it is a protest. If not, it is probably more of a riot. That distinction should be based on the actions of the actors and not the political leanings of their movement.

You mean like colonial times when Boston's beloved Sons of Liberty were vandalizing and hanging effigies in front of the homes of those tasked with enforcing British law (e.g. Andrew Oliver)?
    I can't even imagine how you arrive at the conclusions you do, and frankly am not even sure even you know where you're drawing the line. I'm astounded that anyone would compare modern day America with a ballot and jury box to settle disputes to overthrowing a monarchy with violence once all other reasonable options were exhausted. If you can't see the similar tactics of intimidation of individuals and neighborhoods with the "wrong" people in them as the same as KKK tactics just because the visuals are different I find it little wonder you can't separate free speech from intimidation or think it's perfectly fine to threaten people (as long as you don't threaten them...or something)
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I can't even imagine how you arrive at the conclusions you do, and frankly am not even sure even you know where you're drawing the line.
    I draw the line based on whose rights are being violated using the understanding that conflicts do not exist unless at least 1 party is demanding what they have not earned.

I'm astounded that anyone would compare modern day America with a ballot and jury box to settle disputes to overthrowing a monarchy with violence once all other reasonable options were exhausted.
    "Which is better - to be ruled by one tyrant three thousand miles away or by three thousand tyrants one mile away?" - Martin Byles

Voters and juries are a marked improvement over monarchs, but masses can still be tyrannical whether they be mobs marching with torches & pitchforks (or unslung ARs) or an indifferent bourgeoisie enabling the oppression of minorities.

I draw the line based on whose rights are being violated using the understanding that conflicts do not exist unless at least 1 party is demanding what they have not earned.
    So you keep bumper-sticker posting, yet I still don't know what you mean in the context of this discussion. And I suspect that's on purpose.

understanding that conflicts do not exist unless at least 1 party is demanding what they have not earned.
    Conflict very much exists once you start pointing loaded guns in my general direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Yeah... this is getting ugly in my (relative) 'hood.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    So you keep bumper-sticker posting, yet I still don't know what you mean in the context of this discussion. And I suspect that's on purpose.
    Okay, take for instance the conflict between neighbors and demonstrators:

If the neighbors are merely disturbed by the presence of strangers conducting themselves in a lawful manner, then the neighbors are demanding something they have not earned.

If the demonstrators are unlawfully detaining neighbors or making too much noise or damaging property, they are demanding what they have not earned.

When weighing whether a particular policy is fair, I'm fond of Carl Jacobi's maxim "man muss immer umkehren" (invert, always invert). If you want to outlaw people protesting in front of private residences, are you also prepared to outlaw cheering crowds welcoming home a war hero? If not, then you are really banning the content rather than manner of speech...

Site Supporter
    Okay, take for instance the conflict between neighbors and demonstrators:

If the neighbors are merely disturbed by the presence of strangers conducting themselves in a lawful manner, then the neighbors are demanding something they have not earned.
    So the strangers have a right to blockade a public road but the neighbors wanting to use the road to drive home have no right to do so? How does one earn the right to use a public road?

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    So the strangers have a right to blockade a public road but the neighbors wanting to use the road to drive home have no right to do so? How does one earn the right to use a public road?
    And point guns at the neighbors trying to use the road as well.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I have never seen such a beast. Every single protest in a residential neighborhood that I have personally worked or am aware of has included some crime, generally trespass, obstruction of traffic, disorderly conduct, etc.

I would suppose the neighborhood has earned the right to a reasonable level of noise. I would suppose they have earned the right to freely travel to and from their house. I would suppose they have the right not to be threatened in their home. You're trying to create some mythical creature to argue for that simply doesn't exist so that your ideals can be upheld without getting messy in how things really work. Which is why you keep shying away from specifics. Your position is simply untenable and you wish to pretend that this attempt at mob rule is really freedom. It isn't.

User Tag List