Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .452 hard cast for 1911s

Site Supporter
    Did you plunk test them? They're seated pretty deeply so it looks like you probably did, just checking.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Did you plunk test them? They're seated pretty deeply so it looks like you probably did, just checking.
    I did, thanks for checking though.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Ditto. .452 works in all my .45 ACP guns - Colt Gubmint Model with a GI NM barrel, Commander with a BarSto barrel, mid- and full-size M&P 45s with factory barrels, and a S&W M22-4. It's been the go-to size for .45 ACP cast bullets since I started reloading in the 80s.
    Same here during my '80s .45 ACP reloading. Back then IIRC the official ideal diameter for .45 Colt was .454 was it not?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Loaded some up.
    Starting at 5gr of unique up to 6.
    Attachment 58673
    Ooof, drop dead gorgeous slugs! PHAT meplat!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Same here during my '80s .45 ACP reloading. Back then IIRC the official ideal diameter for .45 Colt was .454 was it not?
    Yup. I've never loaded .45 Colt, but my understanding is that pre-3rd generation SAAs usually had .455-.456 chamber mouths. So did a lot of S&W 25-2s, which caused a lot of consternation among shooters who tried their lead-bullet .45 ACP loads which shot well in their 1911s but patterned from the revolver and also leaded badly. Those 25-2s typically shot well once fed .454-.455 bullets.

Loaded some up.
    Please report back. That looks to be a dandy bowling pin load! And I have the same gun to shoot them in sans the rail.

Site Supporter
    Loaded some up.
    Attachment 58673
    Big like.

Interest pegged. I've thought about some 250gr .45ACP loads as well.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I found a new place to shoot today. Its a 30 minute hike over a small mountain. I was going to run first thing this am but went and shot instead so was a little shaky from no breakfast and a little hike so my accuracy wasn't my best. That being said I am happy with how they shot.

6gr felt good. No pressure signs, no scary "feel" from the gun either. It does have a 18.5lbs recoil spring and a fbfps.

Ill test my loaded next time. It has the same fbfps and a colt dual recoil spring which feels heavier than the 18.5.

Poi was just fine at 15yards. And by just fine i mean i wouldn't hesitate to pot a grouse at that distance.

Recoil felt like +p HST.

Loaded some up.
    Attachment 58673
    That is a beautiful picture!
    Johnny Walker

Lee push thru bullet sizing die is an easy way to size down the .452s if you feel they will work better for you.

I have used the Beartooth Bullets .452 (not avail smaller) 265gr SWC Keith sized to .451 in the Lee die set. Over 6.5gr of Longshot this makes for a good load that has been accurate in all but one .45 auto that I've tried them in.

Loaded round:

Only had four left after function testing and chronographing :

I wouldn't shoot a bunch of these in a 1911 unless I changed springs and added a flat bottom firing pin retainer.

FWIW,

Paul
    Last edited by paul105; 08-11-2020 at 05:39 PM.

User Tag List