Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Russians

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    They build great cars.

https://youtu.be/Ozzlbrh6Tfc

Strong like Russian woman, beautiful like Russian tractor.
    An anecdote regarding these from the Old Country, where they were popular in the 50s and 60s due to ruggedness and availability.
    A lady went off the road in her Volga and hit a wooden telephone pole. The pole snapped like a match, the car was almost entirely unscathed. So was the driver, thankfully.
    I wouldn't post in RR if you are sensitive in the slightest. It's sort of the opposite of a "safe space." --Baldanders

Judging by Steve1989's channel, the Russians have everyone beat on MREs for their military.

It makes our MREs look like dog poop. I think I would enjoy eating with Russians. Their "real food" culture appeals to me.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Google translates it as F*ck.... I need to give it a try...Thanks!
    It's not quite fuck, but everyone should be aware that it's definitely a curse word and should not be uttered in polite company.

It's tremendously applicable, and as noted, can be used several times in a single sentence if warranted.

@JodyH @YVK большо́е спаси́бо. I took an all too brief semester in HS in Russian. I was pretty sure of the gist of that word, just wanted some ah local interpretation.

I picked up Suka (Bitch) from watching Atomic Blonde.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

No Russian love here.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Judging by Steve1989's channel, the Russians have everyone beat on MREs for their military.

It makes our MREs look like dog poop. I think I would enjoy eating with Russians. Their "real food" culture appeals to me.
    That's definitely not my impression of their MREs. If you said Spanish/French/Commonwealth, then that'd make more sense.

My takeaway on Russian food from my time in Moscow was that there were plenty of good restaurants, but no excellent restaurants. My colleagues posted there affirmed such, and explained that any chef that truly stands out and starts succeeding get progressively extorted for more money on both ends by both the government and organized crime. The result is the vast majority of Michelin star joints closing within a year because they move elsewhere in the world where they can make more than a short-order cook.

Moscow was super fun to visit, and I'd highly suggest it for anyone who isn't a USG employee. With that said, I'm definitely not a fan of this little Russian boner fest where you all seem to be partaking in an oogie-cookie contest with the apparant goal of losing so you can prove how bad you love Russians. My takeaway is that Russians are incredibly abrasive people and are rife with criminality from the bottom up. Their history of continually being ruled by oppressive dictators, and their culture, are a vicious cycle that feeds itself.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    My takeaway is that Russians are incredibly abrasive people and are rife with criminality from the bottom up. Their history of continually being ruled by oppressive dictators, and their culture, are a vicious cycle that feeds itself.
    So they're exactly like New Yorkers, Good 'Ol Boy southerners, or Primos down here in Norte Mexico?
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I'm pretty sure that if you dropped me off in some middle of nowhere small Russian village I'd fit right in with those crazy Ivans.
    I'm not much of a drinker or smoker (which seems to be their national pastime) but pretty much everything else is a mirror image of the backcountry rural USA I love.
    Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Regular people are more similar than different the world over... Leave us alone to take care of our families and enjoy our lives as best we can and the rest is just details.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I grew up the product of two cultures that have been at odds with each other but ironically share much in common.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    In my experience it’s rarely the people of another nation we have issue with. It’s the governments and frequently the people of those “enemy” countries dislike their government as much if not more than we do. Politics ruins damn near everything.
    I fully agree to all of this. As some of you know, I'm from Germany. When I was a pupil in high school, some of us who learned Russian went to Russia for some weeks. They lived in Russian families. It was the cold war era, the Russian was demonized big time by our bullshit media. When my schoolmates came back from Russia, they told us how nice the normal people in Russia are.

Later, I've worked together with an engineer from China. Very nice guy. I remember this little anecdote: In the weeks before Christmas, there was much work to do for all of us. The Chinese noticed that our secretary was very overloaded with work. He helped her by doing simple work for her - copying, sorting and such things. He made no big deal of it, just did it, although there was already much work for him to do.

Later, I've worked together with an engineer from China. Very nice guy. I remember this little anecdote: In the weeks before Christmas, there was much work to do for all of us. The Chinese noticed that our secretary was very overloaded with work. He helped her by doing simple work for her - copying, sorting and such things. He made no big deal of it, just did it, although there was already much work for him to do.
    By some historical accounts the Central Pacific railroad would have never been built without Chinese labor. It was being built in a time when just about every able body white male was prospecting in CA and NV and didn't want to work for $3 a day.

That isn't to say the same conditions exist today but more or less a historical fact.

Thread drift engaged.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List